Lt. Commander
# 1 Changes to the Forum Structure
06-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Hey everyone!

I've gotten a lot of feedback from both community and Devs that our forums are split into too many ways. It makes it tricky for you to find the information you need and our Devs have a hard time tracking down your feedback. Some forums are not used or underused and some forums have been missing to get the feedback we need.

To help with this, there will be a few changes to the forum structure. No worries, they are smallish and will not change how the forums works in any form. It will however give our Devs specific sections on the forums that they can zoom in on - one addition was personally requested to make sure you guys and out Art folks can chat about concerns and ideas even better!
The main changes are going to be these below.

Merging and removing (read: Archiving!):
  • Removing the Polls section
    • We sadly do not have polls right now that can influence the game in a huge way as they used to early on and we don't have plans of doing so. Right now your feedback on the forums is much, much more important to us. Watching your discussions helps is get a better feel for what's going though your minds on specific topics. Should we want to do polls again, we can do these in the launcher now and reach a lot more players, too!
  • Removing Enterprise Contest Forums
    • The contest has run and is finished now. Discussions can happen in the General Feedback section from here on and we also will have the Dev diary on how we're taking the drafts and put them into the game step-by-step!
  • Merging "Feedback" and "Discussion" in the Foundry section
    • It was planned that the "Discussion" is the place for missions, but sadly this was never fully clear to all involved. As such, we'll handle these two forums like we do them in the Tribble section: Feedback and Discussion become one forum.
  • Merging "Officer Discussion"
  • Merging "Starfleet Shipyards"
  • Merging "Klingon Fleetyards"
    • These three stands for a total of 10 forums which sadly do not see a lot of individual traffic. That is a lot of forums that don't see much use and no one is blaming anyone for that. It just shows that since the beta ended, the needs for these forums has changed. As such, we're 'collapsing' these forums down into the overall need. Players can still ask specific help and I'll be MORE than happy to make sure the stickies which hold guides are still being taken care of!
      It does mean that we won't be making a dedicated shuttle forum, but shuttles and fighters (Klingon and Fed-side) will join right into the new ship forums.

The old forums will be archived separately, but I'll pull over the threads which had been active in the last 2ish weeks into one single new thread.

Fully new forums:
  • Art of Star Trek Online
    • A new forum, especially requested by our very own developers! In this section we will gather feedback on uniforms and uniform bugs, ship design and customization; but also the design of interiors, planets and so forth. I know we already have a number of very good feedback threads on these topics, and I'll do my very best to hunt them down and add them into these new forums.
  • Foundry: Mission Database
    • As requested by you guys: A forum dedicated exclusively to show off your missions, gather feedback on your missions and ask for reviews. Again: I know we have a lot of good threads here that both review and offer reviews. I plan to stick these into this new forum!

And to clear up the questions forum:
  • Renaming "Starfleet Academy" forums to "Academy Grounds"
    • Only a tiny cosmetic change: I want to make sure that new player Klingons know as well that they can ask their questions here. If you're a newbie, someone who returns or someone who needs a refresher on a specific topic: THESE are your forums!
  • Renaming "Combat" into PvE Gameplay
    • There was quite a bit of confusion what "Combat" is. The term was a leftover from the Beta and never named properly. We'll now re-label it as the PvE forums to stand with the PvP forums to show us both sides of how you guys enjoy STO.

So when is all of this happening?
I aim for the next Friday, that is the 10th of June 2011. CrypticMatt has been poking me to do it sooner, but with current hot topics I didn't want to stress you guys out even more by tinkering with the forums.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Quote:
•Merging "Officer Discussion"
•Merging "Starfleet Shipyards"
•Merging "Klingon Fleetyards"
What will be the name of this "merged" forum?

Edit:And it's purpose? Most topics about ships and officers are discussed in the Federation and Klingon forums.....
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-02-2011, 02:38 PM
While forums are being folded together why not...

Combine Star Trek Online Discussion and General Community Feedback? Since the line between the two is relatively fine, and less than 1% of the forum population seems to know what to put where. It would probably save a lot of moderator time, as moving threads from STOD to GCF seems to happen a lot.

While you're at it, since that would cover gameplay why don't you toss Federation and Klingon Gameplay in there too? Since STOD is basically the gameplay forum, why have two segregated gameplay forums as well? Seems kind of redundant and divisive to have three gameplay boards.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
I want to make sure that new player Klingons know as well that they can ask their questions here.
Can probably hold off on that until after the new tutorials and academies actually get done in-game. Because currently every "new" klingon created has to be created by a player who's already spent time playing on the federation side and no brand new player can just create a Klingon from the start.

And the changes to that were put on hold, right?
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
While forums are being folded together why not...

Combine Star Trek Online Discussion and General Community Feedback? Since the line between the two is relatively fine, and less than 1% of the forum population seems to know what to put where. It would probably save a lot of moderator time, as moving threads from STOD to GCF seems to happen a lot.

While you're at it, since that would cover gameplay why don't you toss Federation and Klingon Gameplay in there too? Since STOD is basically the gameplay forum, why have two segregated gameplay forums as well? Seems kind of redundant and divisive to have three gameplay boards.
Both really good suggestions.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Sounds good, Wishy! Looking forward to the changes, and poke a person or two about putting some new polls into the launcher, please.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-02-2011, 02:54 PM
I suggest renaming "Academy Grounds" to simply "The Academy". The latter is more evocative of learning, and less like a "place to hang out and be totally informal and chitchat with your Mom or the gardener".
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-02-2011, 04:41 PM
I don't know how doable this is. But on another forum I frequent (also based on vB Code) they have a function that brings up existing threads after you type in your subject heading (when creating a new thread). So if someone were to type "T5 Connie" in the thread title, all of the other threads with that name in the title would appear in a list. That way people will know where the conversation is already taking place.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Sharkforce: They keep the names they have right now, as posted.
And the purpose: To keep things easily found. Threads can be moved there if they were posted in another area that didn't fit as well.

HappyHappyJoyJoy: These two will not be combined, sorry. I know the line is a thin one and totally understand that sometimes a thread has to be moved from one to the other. But that's part of the job of the moderation team, so it's not a big deal.
That we have a Federation and a Klingon sub forum is needed. And I rather not think about what would happen if I told the Klingons that I am 'taking away their forums' in any form. Sometimes a sub forum for a specific group of players simply is needed so that they can discuss things with each other in a separate area. Such as PvP and PvE players. They use the same weapons, ships and skills; yet things work differently for either group and they wish to discuss their thoughts with like-minded players.

Superchum: I do disagree. For example, right now we have these two threads on the first page of the Academy forums:
  • Bird of Prey or Raptor? ( 1 2)
  • What Faction Should I Choose?
I'd say it is an ideal time for ANY Klingon player to hop in there and chat up the new blood. Helping new players out may just lead to new Fleet members for you or a new friend somewhere in the world. It's never a bad time to be helpful. Ever.

Fractal_Eye: When we have new stuff we'd like feedback in form of a poll, we totally will. Until then: Feedback in form of the written word is highly valuable. Hence the forums!

PodSix: Hm. I thought the Grounds would give a more soothing image. But you're right - we're at war, no coddling the Recruits! I can change that.

Commadore_Bob: While the foundation of our forums is indeed VB, they have undergone a lot of transformations. Some of them are clearly visible for you guys - every time to check your forum PMs. Others are tucked away into the back end and not glaringly obvious.
We have a few VB functions we can use... but many of them are not actually there or useable anymore while other, new ones, have come into being.
....why do I suddenly have to think of a Pokémon evolving?
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
Sharkforce: They keep the names they have right now, as posted.
And the purpose: To keep things easily found. Threads can be moved there if they were posted in another area that didn't fit as well.

HappyHappyJoyJoy: These two will not be combined, sorry. I know the line is a thin one and totally understand that sometimes a thread has to be moved from one to the other. But that's part of the job of the moderation team, so it's not a big deal.
That we have a Federation and a Klingon sub forum is needed. And I rather not think about what would happen if I told the Klingons that I am 'taking away their forums' in any form. Sometimes a sub forum for a specific group of players simply is needed so that they can discuss things with each other in a separate area. Such as PvP and PvE players. They use the same weapons, ships and skills; yet things work differently for either group and they wish to discuss their thoughts with like-minded players.

Superchum: I do disagree. For example, right now we have these two threads on the first page of the Academy forums:
  • Bird of Prey or Raptor? ( 1 2)
  • What Faction Should I Choose?
I'd say it is an ideal time for ANY Klingon player to hop in there and chat up the new blood. Helping new players out may just lead to new Fleet members for you or a new friend somewhere in the world. It's never a bad time to be helpful. Ever.

Fractal_Eye: When we have new stuff we'd like feedback in form of a poll, we totally will. Until then: Feedback in form of the written word is highly valuable. Hence the forums!

PodSix: Hm. I thought the Grounds would give a more soothing image. But you're right - we're at war, no coddling the Recruits! I can change that.

Commadore_Bob: While the foundation of our forums is indeed VB, they have undergone a lot of transformations. Some of them are clearly visible for you guys - every time to check your forum PMs. Others are tucked away into the back end and not glaringly obvious.
We have a few VB functions we can use... but many of them are not actually there or useable anymore while other, new ones, have come into being.
....why do I suddenly have to think of a Pokémon evolving?
I misread the merging of forums,to me it looked like you were merging "Officer Discussion" ,Starfleet Shipyards" and "Klingon Fleetyards" into a single forum.