Lt. Commander
I'm pretty sure my personal hell will be to spend all eternity dealing with tier 1 technical support.

*Edit: This is not in reference to Atari/Cryptic, it's my ISP.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Remember to just say "shibboleet" next time.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort_wort View Post
Remember to just say "shibboleet" next time.
HEHE...that's great....and so true it's scary.

God I wanted to strangle that guy...tell him the problem started at a specific time and I made no PC changes at that time...it affected multiple programs (games) and that it also occurred on my rarely used laptop...and he still was going through his stupid script. He was impervious to me telling him I had exhausted the standard troubleshooting tips...turn off firewalls and virus scanners, I tried DMZ on router and straight connection without the router.

/bangs head on desk.

well got a tech coming out today...hopefully he can fix it...I'm hoping for a just a dying modem or bad connector outside my place.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-02-2011, 07:45 PM
I fried my router a couple weeks ago after transferring a large file through it. It took a few hours of trial and error to figure out that was the problem. The funny thing was: it couldn't download, but it could upload at full speed. Very odd.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum-NSA
I'm pretty sure my personal hell will be to spend all eternity dealing with tier 1 technical support.

*Edit: This is not in reference to Atari/Cryptic, it's my ISP.
No, hell would be country and western "music", which I'm pretty sure is an advanced torture technique developed by the CIA during the My Lai incident. Only the unfathomably cruel would make such noises on purpose.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-02-2011, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benfea View Post
No, hell would be country and western "music", which I'm pretty sure is an advanced torture technique developed by the CIA during the My Lai incident. Only the unfathomably cruel would make such noises on purpose.
My mom likes a lot of old country & western, I'm mostly immune to that.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-03-2011, 02:38 AM
So the techs come...work for an hour and replace the modem. Their little ping tests keep telling them nothing is wrong, I finally had to drag them upstairs and show them the constant game disconnects on both WoW and STO. After an hour they gave up and tried to pawn me off on phone support...told them I already tried that. So they work for another hour and say they can reproduce the problem...then they gave up and left. I call tech support....and end up being pretty rude to the guy after about the 5th time explaining I had already been through his script and had tech support here and it was verified the problem wasn't in my house. FINALLY got them to (at least claim) they found an issue outside their network and they would investigate.

The part that rose my blood pressure about 30 points...I asked them like 4 times to contact the techs for more technical info...he blew it off each time.

They asked for time to investigate....about a week.

I feel like I rolled up a note with problem and put it in a bottle and threw it into the ocean.

*rant*
*rave*
*vent*

Have I mentioned I hate dealing with tech support?
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-03-2011, 05:42 AM
Another thing I like to do is tell them I'm willing to call them 3 times:
  1. To report the issue.
  2. To do ONE followup call with regards to troubleshooting the issue.
  3. To cancel my subscription.

We fought with cable outages here that occured every 20 minutes or so. They weren't long, just long enough to miss the punchline of a joke. It was a enough though to get me kicked off anything I was doing online.

This went on for almost a year. As soon as we told them we wanted to cancel our subscription, they gave us 3 months free and the issue magically went away. They just don't seem to care to fix the problem unless there's money being lost.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-03-2011, 05:57 AM
Well I have an added benefit of being in Japan and not speaking Japanese (yeah, I suck for not learning it). So the fun part is speaking to their "English" speaking CS people...

A reoccurring theme I've noticed since living here...their English gets better or worse depending on whether they want to do something or not.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum-NSA
My mom likes a lot of old country & western, I'm mostly immune to that.
I am not sure whether to envy you or pity you.