Lt. Commander
# 1 new star trek movie game
06-03-2011, 10:46 AM
there is a new star trek movie game coming out in 2012. by a canadian company. is this an mmorpg? http://hailingfrequency.com/boards/s...ming-in-2012!/

if it is, why didnt that company fight to buy cryptic? the game is suppose to be for pc and consoles. again i dont know if it an mmorpg. again if it is a mmorpg how can CBS keep giving licenses to so many different companies? cryptic has one, the company that is coming out with infinite space has one. now this new company or game has one. how is that fair to cryptic and or any company that has a star trek game? if they keep licencing the name out to different companies?

wishbone please dont move unless you have answers. lol quack quack
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-03-2011, 10:53 AM
From what I understand, and I read the announcement on StarTrek.com, the game is going to be a co-op/single-player experience set in the "Abramsverse". If it was going to be an MMO, it would have been announced as such. Despite being set in the alternate reality, I am intrigued as to what direction they're gonna go with it. Is it an action game, simulation, adventure, RPG...The only thing that I'm fairly certain of is that it's NOT an MMO.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_quack
there is a new star trek movie game coming out in 2012. by a canadian company. is this an mmorpg? http://hailingfrequency.com/boards/s...ming-in-2012!/

if it is, why didnt that company fight to buy cryptic? the game is suppose to be for pc and consoles. again i dont know if it an mmorpg. again if it is a mmorpg how can CBS keep giving licenses to so many different companies? cryptic has one, the company that is coming out with infinite space has one. now this new company or game has one. how is that fair to cryptic and or any company that has a star trek game? if they keep licencing the name out to different companies?

wishbone please dont move unless you have answers. lol quack quack
It's a video game, not an mmo, and you don't give licenses, you sell them, to make money.
Ever see how many things out there have a character's picture on them? Official ones make cash for the rights owner.. look at all the games between 1999 and 2002 over several publishers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Tr...es#Video_games

Move this Wishy:p
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-03-2011, 10:57 AM
This game isn't an MMO, what's made its way to game press about it sounds like a squad based FPS or TPS. Being made by Digital Extremes pretty much locks it in, that's all they've ever done. That can be called successful at least, they had some shovelware pinball games, too. But they're more notable for co-developing a good chunk of the Unreal series, Homefront, and Bioshock.

CBS didn't license this, Paramount did. CBS's IP ends at Nemesis, the 2009 movie is Paramount's. They didn't fight to buy Cryptic because they A. don't even own themselves, B. they don't even own most of the games they worked on, and C. they're not in the MMO business.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-03-2011, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Armstrong View Post
From what I understand, and I read the announcement on StarTrek.com, the game is going to be a co-op/single-player experience set in the "Abramsverse". If it was going to be an MMO, it would have been announced as such. Despite being set in the alternate reality, I am intrigued as to what direction they're gonna go with it. Is it an action game, simulation, adventure, RPG...The only thing that I'm fairly certain of is that it's NOT an MMO.
you said faily certain. does that mean your not a hundred percent sure? do you think the game will be like that DAC game that game out same time sto did?
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
It's a video game, not an mmo, and you don't give licenses, you sell them, to make money.
Ever see how many things out there have a character's picture on them? Official ones make cash for the rights owner.. look at all the games between 1999 and 2002 over several publishershttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_games#Video_games

Move this Wishy:p
good point. never thought of it like that, esp when no matter what cryptic does they have to get it approved by CBS i was thinking they should hold the sole license but i guess thats not the case. still dont think its fair to cryptic and other companies.

agreed you can move as my questions have been more or less answered. thank you
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-03-2011, 11:45 AM
You know what they say about games based off a movie.

And according to the article OP posted, it is in fact not an MMO. I'm not even convinced it will actually come to exist until there is in-game footage.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_quack
you said faily certain. does that mean your not a hundred percent sure? do you think the game will be like that DAC game that game out same time sto did?
Having never played DAC, I can't tell you if the new game could be like that or not. However, the word "co-op" meant that the game is not going to be an MMO. Multiplayer elements would most likely appear in the game, but not a dedicated online experience. Without further information, it's hard to tell exactly what type of game it's going to be. I'm hoping for either an adventure, RPG, or story driven FPS (like Half-Life or Bioshock).
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Mixed feelings on my part.

I liked the new movie, but games with movies as there base don't traditionally do well.

If the gameplay is good and it isn't overpriced, I'll look into it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Moved to 10-Forward.