Lt. Commander
# 1 Star Trek Online PvP League
09-14-2010, 09:02 AM
Welcome everyone. Below is a detail of how the PvP league will operate, which will all be up on a website soon. We will be using a guidlaunch site to organize all of this, and if donations can be gathered, a vent channel will be set aside specifically for the league members. (Meaning it can be used by PvP groups between matches as well.)

Here is the plan:

Mission Statement

Our mission,in the STOPL, is to create an interesting and fun approach to creating competitive player vs player combat in Star Trek Online, and to add to the richness of possibilities in this game. This will be accomplished by offering bi-weekly events, and eventually as the program grows, weekly events, in which teams are pitted against each other and moved towards the championship match. Player and team statistics will be tracked and made public via the league website, and a wrap up of each event will be published to the STO forums shortly after an event.

How the League works

There are two leagues:

Federation Player vs Player League and the Klingon Player vs Player League. (Note: Like MLB, there will be a lot of inter-league games, however you are competing amongst your own league for league leader positions, and for a shot at the championship, which will be a cross league game.) Each league is representative of the following match types:
  • Gound 1v1 PvP
  • Space 1v1 PvP
  • Group Ground PvP
  • Space Group PvP
  • Fleet Ground PvP
  • Fleet Space PvP

Up to 48 hours prior to an event, players may register for solo PvP, and teams or fleets can register for group and fleet PvP matches. For group or fleet PvP players MUST be in a team. Fleet status is not a requirement for the 10 man fleet events, however that event is targeted at organized fleets.

24 hours before the event, a listing of matches will be posted, and your ref will be announced. The purpose of the Ref is to facilitate organizing, and then collecting the results at the end of the match. In all events, the Ref will enter the game, and then remain cloaked and just observe. Attacking the Ref is grounds for disqualification. At this time there is no mechanic to make a ref neutral, so they will cloak and remain cloaked for the entire match. (This means for Fed vs Fed matches, we will need RA or VA refs with access to the Galaxy X or Defiant Refit, or special help from the Dev Team.)

The ref will capture a screenshot of the end screen, and will be submitted to the League Commission, which will then post those shots to the website. Team and player stats will be updated as soon as possible after the event.

Disputes

In the event of suspected cheating, screenshots or FRAPS are required to be submitted to the League. Refs will do their best to catch this as well. This is not expecting to be a large problem though.

The Matches

Match Length:

Each match will last any given length until the victory conditions are met. Below are the victory conditions for each type of match: (Capture and Hold/Assault Maps will be added after experimentation with them.)

Ground 1v1: Five Kills
Spave 1v1: One kill.

Group Ground: 10 Kills
Group Space: 5 Kills

Fleet Ground: 15 Kills
Fleet Space: 10 Kills

Solo Matches

In Solo or 1v1 ground matches, players will join a challenge map, and will be given 30 seconds to prepare. The ref will then announce go. Each player has 3 time outs.

In Solo or 1v1 Space matches, players will join a challenge map, and given 30 seconds to prepare. Cloaks will be prohibited in cases of both sides having a cloaking device. Exception, as Birds of Preys are balanced around be able to cloak, they are allowed to cloak after first engagement has been made, but can remain cloaked no longer then 30 seconds. This rule does not exist when the other side can not cloak. Each player is given 3 timeouts.

Group Matches

In Group Ground matches, players will join a challenge map, having formed a group prior joining the map, and will be given 30 seconds to prepare. The ref will then announce go. Each group has 3 time outs, which can only be called by the group leader, who is indicated prior to match beginning.

In Group Space matches, players will join a challenge map, having formed a group prior joining the map, and will be given 30 seconds to prepare. The ref will then announce go. Each group has 3 time outs, which can only be called by the group leader, who is indicated prior to match beginning. No cloak restrictions unless both groups can completely cloak, at which time one ship on each side must remain uncloaked. Delay of game penalties will be applied if a cloaked group does not engage within 5 minutes of match start, or the end of a timeout.

Team Matches

Team ground matches will be 10v10, and players will join a challenge map, having formed groups prior joining the map, and will be given 30 seconds to prepare. The ref will then announce go. Each team has 3 time outs, which can only be called by the team leader, who is indicated prior to match beginning.

Team Space matches will be 10v10, and players will join a challenge map, having formed groups prior joining the map, and will be given 30 seconds to prepare. The ref will then announce go. Each team has 3 time outs, which can only be called by the team leader, who is indicated prior to match beginning. No cloak restrictions unless both teams can completely cloak, at which time one ship on each side must remain uncloaked. Delay of game penalties will be applied if a cloaked group does not engage within 5 minutes of match start, or the end of a timeout.

Rules

Rules are limited, due to the nature of the arena, however we do have a few mostly in interest of expediency.
  1. Delay of Game: Delay of Game adds a red flag to a team/group/player. Delay of game includes remaining cloaked and not engaging an enemy for more then five minutes, or other actions which prevent gameplay from occuring. This penalty is only applied once the match begins.
  2. Unsportsmans like behavior: Trash talking, or gloating is not perhibited. Taunted, as long as it remains respectful is allowed, as it is part of the fun of the game. You can contest a refs ruling of this call with the commission. Adds a yellow flag to the player, and a white to the team of the player.
  3. Cheat: At any time if cheating occurs, that team/player/group will be disqualified from the league.
  4. Attacking the Ref: With allowance to accidents, penalities will be applied for attacks on the ref as such: White for one-three cycles, yellow for three or more, and red if the ref is destroyed/killed.

Flags

Red Flag: If one red flag is received, stats will not be tracked for that match except for the win/loss. Two red flags in one match is a forfeit.

Yellow Flag: Yellow flags are warning, three yellow flags equal a red.

White Flag: These are heads up, with no real stigma. However, three white flags will become a single yellow flag.

Refs

In ground PvP, refs will be dressed in all white, and will try to remain out of the way of the fight. If they are accidentally targeted and hit, a white flag will be issued, but otherwise the attack will be ignored. The ref will however subtract the damage done to him/her from the responsible players damage total at the end of the match.

In Space PvP, the ref ship will remain cloaked at all times. If an area attack damages or pulls a ref out of cloak by accident, it will not result in a flag, unless of course he is fired on afterwords, however the damage done to him or her will be subtracted that the attacking players damage total.

Uniforms and Team Colors

Team colors can be registered with your team registration, and no two groups/teams can have the same two colors. They are not required to be worn as teams are already marked as separate in game. Colors blocked or already reserved:
  • White, and white: Refs
  • Primary color White: Refs
  • Red and Gold: Red Squadron GC (Reserved until 9/18/10)

Registration

Once the website is created, registration of teams, players, and groups will occur through it, in the mean time, a private message to me will be all that is required. You may reserve team colors if you do not currently have a list of team/group members, and that reservation will be held for FOUR days. Solo players may not reserve team colors. You may register for multiple match types.

Registration Form:

Group/Team Leader or Player Name:
Group/Team Members:
Faction:
Match Types:
Colors (if Group or Team.)
Fleet (If in one.)
Would you, or members of your team be interested in Referring?
Timezone:

This is not even registration, just group, solo, or team registration. Even registration will simply be signing up your team/group/self for an available time slot.

Note on groups and teams: You can list more then 5 and 10 individuals respectively, however you may not add players on the day of an event. If you plan to have extras, add them ahead of time. Players are tracked by @Name first, then Character name.

Prior to the first events, I need refs, so I am taking volunteers. With luck, we will have our first event within a few weeks, so everyone, get ready!
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-14-2010, 09:08 AM
Now with that all said...

Klingon Tactical Officer looking for a team or group for Space PvP :-)
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-14-2010, 09:23 AM
WIP Site: (Yes it is Klingon themed, it will be more neutral when I am done working on a custom page. I will pay to customize from my own pocket once, after that I will need donations, which will set up through paypal eventually.)

http://stopl.guildlaunch.com/
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-14-2010, 10:09 AM
Questions/issues:

Administrative/Technical:
  • You can't actually set the number of kills in a Challenge match below 5 - how will this be handled for the "1 kill" game modes?
  • Can you enter a match with less than a full roster if the team actually wishes to do so?
  • What IS a timeout?
  • When does the 30 second pre-match period start? What are players allowed/not allowed to do?

Format:
  • Why are space matches so much shorter than the regular 15 points?
  • Why is the in-combat cloak limit for BoPs only 30 seconds and not the full delay-of-game timer?
  • The kill counts seem to match with the player counts - is this supposed to preclude respawns?
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-14-2010, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgecase View Post
Questions/issues:

Administrative/Technical:
  • You can't actually set the number of kills in a Challenge match below 5 - how will this be handled for the "1 kill" game modes?
  • Can you enter a match with less than a full roster if the team actually wishes to do so?
  • What IS a timeout?
  • When does the 30 second pre-match period start? What are players allowed/not allowed to do?

Format:
  • Why are space matches so much shorter than the regular 15 points?
  • Why is the in-combat cloak limit for BoPs only 30 seconds and not the full delay-of-game timer?
  • The kill counts seem to match with the player counts - is this supposed to preclude respawns?
I was nto aware that the kill count could not be set below five, so I will change that accordingly.

Yes you can enter with less then a full roster, but never more then the prescribed roster.

Timeout is a pause of hostilities. That will be covered in more detail when the website is up, but basically a timeout will be called and from the moment the Ref confirms it, everyone has 15 seconds to cease fire. (This is to allow for cycles to complete.) A timeout must be justified, IE team member DCed, or there is rule question. If timeout is unjustified, a yellow flag would be applied to that team that called the timeout. Good question though, and I had meant to put it in the OP, it just was neglected. The full rulebook will be made available via the website as soon as I finish the formatting and proofing.

The point of the 30 seconds is to keep everyone in one spot to ensure everyone is zoned in. You use any defensive skill during these thirty seconds. But it is more to make sure everyone has a chance to load in and get their wits about them.

You actually answered your own question in regards to the space matches. I did not want to account for respawn. My objective was to make the team important, and so I wanted to keep it to if everyone dies once, you lose. Respawns will still occur, so it may not work out that way.

I put the 30 seconds for BoP ONLY in 1v1 Space. It does not apply to groups or teams.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-14-2010, 10:50 AM
A couple more:

BOFF swapping:
  • Is BOFF swapping allowed before combat begins? (change BOFF assignments to account for enemy team composition)
  • Is BOFF swapping allowed after combat begins? (exit combat, switch officers to access a fresh set of cooldowns or change ability set)
  • Is BOFF swapping allowed during a timeout?
  • If the answer to any of the above is no, how can a ref detect it for enforcement?

Draws:
  • There are cases where two individuals or teams can fight to a near-total standstill (eng/cru vs. eng/cru duels, for instance). How will the outcomes of these matches be resolved?

Flags:
  • How long do flag penalties assessed against a team persist? Indefinitely? Per-event? Per-match?
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Quote:
A couple more:

BOFF swapping:
  • Is BOFF swapping allowed before combat begins? (change BOFF assignments to account for enemy team composition)
  • Is BOFF swapping allowed after combat begins? (exit combat, switch officers to access a fresh set of cooldowns or change ability set)
  • Is BOFF swapping allowed during a timeout?
  • If the answer to any of the above is no, how can a ref detect it for enforcement?
There is no sure way to detect this, and quite frankly that is part of the strategy of the game. This is akin to an audible in football, or a pinch hitter in baseball. See no problem with any of it.

Quote:
Draws:
  • There are cases where two individuals or teams can fight to a near-total standstill (eng/cru vs. eng/cru duels, for instance). How will the outcomes of these matches be resolved?
Eventually one will give up. We can discuss adding time limits though, at which point a draw is called and both teams are credited with a win.

Quote:
Flags:
  • How long do flag penalties assessed against a team persist? Indefinitely? Per-event? Per-match?
Per match. White is meant to be trivial, mainly slaps on the wrist for accidentally shooting refs. They are recorded with the end of each match, so even though they are only in effect for the match, they are permanently recorded. And action against frequent offenders may be taken. (Details on how this will work will be covered in the charter document when it is made available.)
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemoSD
Eventually one will give up. We can discuss adding time limits though, at which point a draw is called and both teams are credited with a win.
That sort of invites collusion, doesn't it? Two players who agree to force the match to a draw accumulate wins without risk.

Of course, the opposite invites griefing. If both people got a loss, then presumably somebody could bring a super-tank-healer build and do nothing but stall games until both players were given losses.

Tie-breaking with damage score suffers from the well-known problem that science skills which damage shields do not show up on the scoreboard, despite the legitimate threat they pose.

I don't know how the league structure is actually set up, but you may really need to consider adding a "draw" column. I don't know what else to call it if two players ram each other to death for their last kills.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Quote:
That sort of invites collusion, doesn't it? Two players who agree to force the match to a draw accumulate wins without risk.

Of course, the opposite invites griefing. If both people got a loss, then presumably somebody could bring a super-tank-healer build and do nothing but stall games until both players were given losses.

Tie-breaking with damage score suffers from the well-known problem that science skills which damage shields do not show up on the scoreboard, despite the legitimate threat they pose.

I don't know how the league structure is actually set up, but you may really need to consider adding a "draw" column. I don't know what else to call it if two players ram each other to death for their last kills.
The two situations presented are exactly why there is a ref staff. As far as the win count, I find that makes the most sense to me. I do figure it will be a rare occurrence though. The great thing is though, that we can change the rules between events if something was not working.

With Kills, Damage Score, Healing Score, Deaths, Wins, Losses, and just me to keep track of it all right now, I am not wanting to add a new column :-p

It is already going to be tough when you consider one player can have three or four independent stats because of multiple characters, then he would have his overall, which is an average of those characters, and then his group and or team... I am trying to keep paperwork manageable on my end.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-14-2010, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemoSD
With Kills, Damage Score, Healing Score, Deaths, Wins, Losses, and just me to keep track of it all right now, I am not wanting to add a new column :-p
While I totally understand the desire to keep the paperwork and stat-tracking manageable (I've run these types of events before too, so I feel your pain), I think you may be underestimating the frequency with which draws will occur in 1v1s with the current game balance. Most experienced PvPers would probably agree that in 2.0, a healing-oriented cruiser will keep itself up indefinitely through virtually anything a single opponent can throw at it.