Lt. Commander
I see a lot of hate for the JJ Trek movie. I liked it, but everybody is free to their opinion.

My question to people is

What is worse Star Trek XI, Nemesis, or the Final Frontier and why?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Final Frontier, for me, hands down. It basicly involved character assasination of everyone who isn't Kirk. For some reason, his ever loyal crew are convinced by a little bit of Dr Phil'ing from Sybok to follow him to the centre of the universe and find God? Really? That's what you're telling us? There is so much they could have done with it, even Sybok being nothing more than a straight up terrorist causing trouble on Nimbus III could have led to a great plot. (Kirk goes totally Bauer perhaps)

Instead what we have is jokes that aren't funny, a wild Godchase, and inspite of being at Earth, in space dock, at the heart of the Federation, somehow the half finished Enterprise is the only ship that can be sent? There's really nobody else? Add to this we have characters acting out of character, and the whole thing turns into one big Wiliam Shatner is so cool fest. Oh, who directed it? Shatner.

I think Nemesis was a big pile of doodoo, and although ST'09 wasn't my cup of tea and didn't feel like Trek, they can't possibly match the mediocrity of Final Frontier.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-05-2011, 09:21 AM
For me Final Frontier is the worst. Nemesis was a wasted opportunity. When I had read that the Romulans were going to have a major role in the movie I got excited. What we got was "meh". Nemesis was not intended to be the final movie. They had another story in the works when filming Nemesis but, when the movie didn't go as planned, the scrapped it. Shinzon should have been a Romulan. B-4 should not have even been in it. My two cents.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-05-2011, 10:54 AM
I would have to say both Nemesis and The Final Frontier were about equal in how bad they were. Both had awful jokes, the acting was like they were sleep walking, The Wrath of Schinzon was stupid, looking for a so called god was a terrible idea especially dragging it out over 2 hours (that movie is painful at times), FX were bad on FF and they were okay for Nemesis but because of budget constraints they could have done better.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-05-2011, 11:22 AM
FF is the worst, hands down. While Nemesis may have prematurely ended the TNG movie run, FF almost killed Star Trek all together. If it weren't for the 25th Anniversary being a couple years later, FF would have been the last movie.

Another way to determine which movie is worst, even non-trekkies know of FF's failures. Nemesis is almost unknown outside the sci-fi community. Nemesis could have been epic, but they didn't flesh out the story. That left a lot of dry conversation and stupid action.

Financially, FF had a larger budget than TWOK and TSFS COMBINED!!! There is no excuse there.

Also, they released Nemesis the same week as one of the LOTR movies. That was just stupid.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Generations.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-05-2011, 12:07 PM
I need brain bleach just for reading the OP. FF is that bad. Galaxy Quest 2 wasn't all that bad, it just wasn't Star Trek. Nemesis had one or two good things about it. FF was pure, unadulterated manure. Terrible script, terrible acting, terrible execution. Since William Shatner was directing himself it wasn't even really Star Trek either. It was the campy Captain Kirk Show.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Interesting opinions, I agree with a lot of the rankings.

Though I'm still more accepting of STXI.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-06-2011, 03:06 AM
FF would have been fine if god was changed to strange entity and center of the galaxy was changed to a quarantined star system. When they got to it it could start claiming to be god though.

Nemisis had the best example of what a late 24th century starship combat looks like, and its nothing like what we see in game past tier 2, a crying shame.

major story changes would have made this movie great. like shinzon should have been a romulan that, thanks to the remans, found out about sisco's ploy to get the romulans to join the dominion war was a FAKE!!! when he tells this to the romulan senate they decide the new peace is too important to throw away and that joining the war was for the best anyway.

shinzon doesn’t like that and takes over with his new reman friends and the enterprise is sent on a diplomatic mission to begin relations with the new pretor. The rest of the movie could be shinzon wanting revenge on the federation. Donotra, other romulans that want to maintain peace and the enterprise team up to stop shinzon's thaloron attack on earth try to keep the truth hidden. after the attack shinzon may plan to make a huge broadcast exposing the federation's treachery to the whole alpha quadrant.

its a bitter pill for everyone to swallow keeping such treachery secret, and everyone weighs morality with the consequences but they succeed at stopping shinzon and keep quiet about it. That would be a hell of a story, the good guys killing a patriot blinded by revenge for the greater good. Maybe even remove the earth attack from the equation that makes shinzon even more the good guy of the story.

JJ's movie has so many things wrong with it that they are beyond counting. Sure it was fun to watch, but if you’re like me you cringed about 100 times throughout the movie when you saw something ridiculous. like these-

-phasers look like turbo lasers
-spamming cluster missiles, no disrupters, no plasma weapons, nothing similar to anything we have ever seen before
- nero’s ship looks retarded. it doesn’t look romulan, borg, or anything ever seen in startrek. But they say with a straight face its a mining ship.
-enterprise built on the ground. WHY? Getting something like that in space would take TREMENDUS energy, no matter what century you’re in
-a bunch of ships docked in orbit with no crews, cadets need to be called up
-insane scaling issues with ships
-LIGHTNING STORM IN SPACE. Could i get some believable techno babble please? There has to be a more 23rd century way of saying that
-i think a black hole anywhere near vulcan would have done the trick, wanting it at the center did put on quite a show though
- some ice planet is closer to vulcan than our moon is to earth. OK
- that moon would have been sucked into the black hole a few minutes later
- ice monster. somehow it evolved on an ice planet and has bare skin. on an ice planet. no protection from the elements. no fur or nothing. tell me how it is possible something like this could possibly exist

im just going to stop there, im getting angry at this movie again. like i said the flaws are beyond counting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerouslyGeeky View Post
Generations.
that phaser blast that the BOP shrugged off should have hit that ship like an antimaterial round through butter. Movie was ok otherwise
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-06-2011, 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
that phaser blast that the BOP shrugged off should have hit that ship like an antimaterial round through butter. Movie was ok otherwise
Kirk on Picard on magical white ponies flying off into a flash of light to fight the evil Malcolm McDowell?

Okay, then.