Lt. Commander
# 11
06-06-2011, 04:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Kirk on Picard on magical white ponies flying off into a flash of light to fight the evil Malcolm McDowell?

Okay, then.
i said it was ok, not good. jj's was worse
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-06-2011, 04:06 AM
All are unbelievable:

1) Kirk could not go from suspended Cadet to Captain of the Enterprise in one day
2) There's no way in hell that a human clone took over the entire Romulan Empire with a brush stroke and just happens to find a soong-type andriod somewhere.
3) It's impossible to "fly to the center of the galaxy" if you don't have say 40 years or so, and the center of our galaxy is a big black hole.

As I recently asked a friend: "Why do we like star trek so much if it's so inconsistent and has such poor, unbelievable, plot-convenience writing?"
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-06-2011, 04:13 AM
After Star Trek II the movie franchise lost steam pretty quickly until Star Trek 6, Then it sucked again. The JJ Movie rocked so hopefully they keep the momentum going and hopefully someday well see something as good again on TV as DS9 was
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-06-2011, 04:57 AM
Generations does deserve an honourable (dishonourable?) mention, but I don't think there's any more room on the podium with the titans of fail that Final Frontier, Nemesis, and the Reboot represent. Actually, screw it. There's a big swirly timey-wimey thing, and Picard can go ANYWHERE and ANYWHEN, and he goes to punch Malcolm McDowell in the face moments before the point he stacked it last time? He doesn't say... arrest him before he blows up a bloody star? Or before a bunch of moody Romulans grease every sucker in a research station looking for their stolen property? No, punching Malcolm McDowell's more important. There were a lot of cool moments, but plot wise, it was incoherant and full of gobbldygook, and not good gobbldygook that you can pass off as science by inverting the phase modulation of the script or whatever. The Nexus was basicly space magic.
Lt. Commander
# 15 nemesis
06-06-2011, 06:16 AM
no i read into that, the problem with nemesis was that an opriginal made but the distributor redited it and turned it into the movie it is, according to the guy that plays riker the original version was much better
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-07-2011, 07:35 PM
For me the ranking is (including Generations, from best to worst)

1) Star Trek XI

2) Generations & Nemesis (Tie)

3) The Final Frontier
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Most of the Movies were awfull, But which was worse of those 3? I'm Tempted to say Star Trek V...I really hated that turbo lift 70 deck scene...and the Klingon punk rocker.....but other than that It wasnt that bad. JJ's was enjoyable in parts...but just wasnt Star Trek. But it was a good sci fi movie. And now we come to the last yes Nemisis....So many things wrong with this movie ,so many controdictions and just plain stupidity.

Rather then end this on a negative note,I'll end it on a possitive. Star Trek 2 Wrath of Khan Loved it, And Next Generation First Contact loved that as well. JJ's movie is as I said a pretty good movie and I liked it but it just wasn't Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raibart View Post
Most of the Movies were awfull, But which was worse of those 3? I'm Tempted to say Star Trek V...I really hated that turbo lift 70 deck scene...and the Klingon punk rocker.....but other than that It wasnt that bad. JJ's was enjoyable in parts...but just wasnt Star Trek. But it was a good sci fi movie. And now we come to the last yes Nemisis....So many things wrong with this movie ,so many controdictions and just plain stupidity.

Rather then end this on a negative note,I'll end it on a possitive. Star Trek 2 Wrath of Khan Loved it, And Next Generation First Contact loved that as well. JJ's movie is as I said a pretty good movie and I liked it but it just wasn't Star Trek.
I agree with a lot of what you said there, though I am more accepting of JJ Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raibart View Post

If Wrath of Khan and First Contact are anything to go by, the second film of each era has been the best, I hope that this holds out for JJ's next offering, or whoever's doin it.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-08-2011, 09:51 AM
for me, its

1 : JJ Abrams

2 : Insurrection

3 : Final Frontier

4 : Nemesis
my arguements being, in reverse order.

with Nemesis, I can point out a few smaller changes that would make the film better. It has some really good moments and music, but the really good is brushed aside from the bad that just leaps out at you. So if you were to remove the really bad, things like the unneeded vehicle in the desert planet scenes, or the unexplained issues with shinzon and troi(Though it does have a nice ending to that with her guiding worfs hand), it becomes a better film.

With Final Frontier, this is a film that is hurt by its budget and studio control. Studio control harmed such other films as Spider-man 3 and X-Men 3. The Studio interfiering with the vision, combined with a terrible budget, is what hurt this film. If it had the money, and Paramount did not butt in in any way, Shatner could have delivered somthing good. somthing Search for Spock Good atleast

Insurrection is on this list because I look at it and it really ticks me off. During this film, the Dominion war is in full swing, yet we get what is essentially a 2 part TNG episode involving a unneeded cameo by worf(But welcome cause he's Worf), and some really lame humor that mirrors Final Frontier.
this one gets worse than Final Frontier because of Jonathan Frakes. He directed First Contact! How could you go from first contact to this? THats like saying you went from The Original Series to Enterprise in the span of a year.
Last harp on insurrection involves the fact that it dosent really reference the other 24th century shows like First Contact did. First Contact had the Defiant doing what it was designed to do, and it had the Dr from Voyager make a great and actually necesary cameo. all Insurrection had was Worf and that dosent count cause he's TNG born and bred.

but with those 3 films, despite my issues, I can still watch them. because they are star trek. despite all their crap, they are still iconic characters that we have grown up with and grown old with, and familiar settings.

Abbrams's film on the other hand. I have watched this film 4 times, and each time, I've discovered more and more problems I have with the film. nothing against the actors. I LOVE the casting. Its the Director.
Abbrams is a hack who makes Michael Bay look like James Cameron. His use of tilted camera angles, and his unnatural and unhealthy love affair with lense flares is just terrible. If there is a book for directing films for dummies, this guy needs to read it, but then he'd make a movie about it with lense flares.
Lenseflares aside, the plot has gigantic gapping holes that would make Spock vomit from the illogic of it all. how can a student, a student who is on discplinary suspension, become captain of the flagship of any naval organization in the span of a day. The most anybody would get from this is a return to his studies, and a medal. Instead, Tyler Perry gives a man in his early 20s carteblanche to seek out and sleep with alien women from around the galaxy. The only thing that would make it funny is if Tyler Perry did it in his Madea personality.
Thats just the tip of the iceberg, and I'm not even getting started cause I could fill a book. I'll just sum up 10things in quick fragments. in no order
Spock Height. Warehouse ship. No Earth Defence. no real science or even believable science. Nokia. cgi makeup. Jerk Kirk. Nero is bumbling around in randomland. Forced Spock/Uhura. No theme to the plot.