Lt. Commander
# 21
06-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Final Frontier was a real steaming pile. This movie had money behind it. Where was it? Shatner's pocket? It sure wasn't up there on the screen. When I went to the theatre to see it, the guy in the box office flat out told me "you don't want to see this movie", but I still saw it, in a theatre with no A/C even. It ranks as one of the poorest movie-going experiences of my life.

Nemesis was mostly just "meh". The ripoff of STIITWoK/B4 subplot was almost offensive. It had some enjoyable scenes, just not enough.

Abrams's Trek is set aside in a related but separate category like the Daniel Craig Bond movies (not directly comparing the two franchises). It was fine as judged against other Abrams projects IMO. I like Karl Urban's McCoy. I had fun watching it with my friends but I don't defend it to anyone.
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-08-2011, 04:27 PM
When I read in Shatner's book "Get a Life", that the original script for Generations had Kirk getting shot in the back by Soran, they showed the movie to a test audience, and the studio ordered a reshoot of that scene that cost MILLIONS, I have to ask myself "who in the hell would have Kirk die that way, and why did the studio sign off on that?". Talk about a bunch of morons, both at the screen writer level and studio level.

FINAL FRONTIER - SUCKED WORSE THAN NEMESIS. The worst of all the TOS trek movies.

NEMESIS - personally I like this one, to me it didn't suck. Data dies...so what? They weren't carrying on
with any more ST-TNG movies, and Spiner wanted him to die....WIN - WIN !!!

JJ TREK - also like this one, reboot of the francise, looking forward to the sequel.
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-08-2011, 04:30 PM
Nemesis is my least favorite Trek movie, hands down. The plot seemed like a dull TNG adaptation of Wrath of Khan, without the charm. It's one big downer of an action film throughout. A dune buggy chase scene, and they killed Data. 'nuff said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS64 View Post
NEMESIS - personally I like this one, to me it didn't suck. Data dies...so what? They weren't carrying on
with any more ST-TNG movies, and Spiner wanted him to die....WIN - WIN !!!
Do you actually think they weren't PLANNING on continuing with the movies? There's a reason they didn't continue them, and it wasn't because of a 'master plan' :p
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
JJ's movie has so many things wrong with it that they are beyond counting. Sure it was fun to watch, but if you’re like me you cringed about 100 times throughout the movie when you saw something ridiculous. like these-

-phasers look like turbo lasers
Defiant had pulse phaser cannons, these ere just turret mounted.

Quote:
-spamming cluster missiles, no disrupters, no plasma weapons, nothing similar to anything we have ever seen before
Because the Narada didn't have them in the first place. The slapped on Borg tech adapted what it could find.

Quote:
- nero’s ship looks retarded. it doesn’t look romulan, borg, or anything ever seen in startrek. But they say with a straight face its a mining ship.
It started out as a mining ship that was upgraded with only partially understood, retro-engineered Borg tech that kind of did its own thing.

Quote:
-enterprise built on the ground. WHY? Getting something like that in space would take TREMENDUS energy, no matter what century you’re in
Yeah that one just doesn't make sense.

Quote:
-a bunch of ships docked in orbit with no crews, cadets need to be called up
Ditto.

Quote:
-insane scaling issues with ships
Granted.

Quote:
-LIGHTNING STORM IN SPACE. Could i get some believable techno babble please? There has to be a more 23rd century way of saying that
Accurate, descriptive and easily understood by the audience.

Quote:
-i think a black hole anywhere near vulcan would have done the trick, wanting it at the center did put on quite a show though
Probably and that it did.

Quote:
- some ice planet is closer to vulcan than our moon is to earth. OK
May have just been a small but very dense dwarf planet, but yeah.

Quote:
- that moon would have been sucked into the black hole a few minutes later
Nope, a black hole with basically Vulcans mass wouldn't have much effect at that range. It might not even have affected satellites in orbit. Also, a black hole that small won't last long if its not feeding, it would 'evaporate' in minutes.

Quote:
- ice monster. somehow it evolved on an ice planet and has bare skin. on an ice planet. no protection from the elements. no fur or nothing. tell me how it is possible something like this could possibly exist
With you on this one.

JJverse had it flaws but FF is just inexcusable.
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-09-2011, 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKeith2011
Yeah that one just doesn't make sense
actually, it kinda does
using anti-gravity technology, they build it on the ground, where the gravity puts stress on the materials (in comparsion, space materials with no stress are weaker). this makes the ship's hull stronger, then i believe they use that same anti-gravity technobabble to get the ship into space
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-09-2011, 05:01 AM
ST2 + 6 are the worst...

Shakespear quoting Badguys!!!
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-09-2011, 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
ST2 + 6 are the worst...

Shakespear quoting Badguys!!!
But it gave us the best possible McCoy quote ever: "I'd give real money if he'd shut up."
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-12-2011, 06:31 AM
For me, it doesn't really come down to what is believable or makes perfect sense from a science point of view.

We've seen Klingon moons explode with the shock wave being felt instantly for light years around. We've seen great barriers at the centre of the galaxy. We've seen time travel by 'slingshotting' around a star. But then, we've also got sound in space and fictional physics such as sub-space.

What matters to me are the characters. Do we beliive these characters and are they in the spirit of Star Trek?

Alot of non Trek fans went to see the JJ Trek movie. They got a great action flick with great performances from the actors and superb special effects.

Some Trek fans, even those of the original series, enjoyed it and decided that it was a success. I'm not one of those. I'm glad they liked it and I'm even hopeful that the next film is going to be good.

Star Trek XI, is my least favourite of the Trek movies because it takes the characters and turns them into contemporary action heroes. Some may argue this is a good thing, but for me, it takes what made Star Trek special and turns it into another generic action movie.

Whether the plot calls for it or not, the characters are unrecognisable from their previous ones. This might make sense for Kirk, who had lost his father and insipiration in this universe, but how does it explain Montgomery 'I'd love to get my hands on her ample nacelles' Scott? Or Nyota 'Give me my choice of assignment or I won't have sex with you' Uhura? Or Hikaru 'I don't know how to start a starship' Sulu?

Spocks character wasn't bad. We got to see how he would react when faced with emotional turmoi, the likes of which, prime Spock never really had to deal with. The closest I can think of him coming to this was in Amock Time when he assumes he's killed Kirk. It was a shame, however that he resorted to violence and attempted murder (stranding Kirk on an ice planet with dangerous creatures and a black hole in close proximity). This kind of ruined his character for me and I lost respect for him.

Bones was the only character that seems to be unaffected by the changes in the timeline. Apart from the fact that he's now a divorcee, he's pretty much the Bones I remember. This could be because he's more of a secondary character and only there to provide some comic relief. He doesn't really provide anything to the plot aside from getting Kirk onboard the Enterprise.

I find the character of the villain to be essential for a good movie and we didn't get much here. I'm a big fan of the Romulans. They've always been to me, the most dangerous adversary to the Federation. We watched for years as they sat back and bided their time while the Federation and Klingon Empire faught wars. They only entered the Dominion war when they were deceived into thinking the Dominion were going to attack them.

What we got with Nero could have been any generic alien. He was shallow and plain. He was evil because he'd been driven insane after the destruction of his homeworld. There was an attempt to give him a personal vendetta against Spock, but we don't ever get to see much in the way of interaction between the two of them. There's hardly any dialogue between Nero and Spock to really get our emotions flowing as a member of the audience.

I could go on about ST V and Nemesis, but I think I've made the points I wanted to. To round it all up, I would've preferred to see the characters portrayed correctly. Placing them in love triangles and having them use sexual innuendo is something I expect from an episode of Ugly Betty. It's not for Star Trek.

This is all just my opinion. Thanks for reading.
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-12-2011, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 View Post
I see a lot of hate for the JJ Trek movie. I liked it, but everybody is free to their opinion.

My question to people is

What is worse Star Trek XI, Nemesis, or the Final Frontier and why?
I'm gonna have to come down and say JJ's XI, simply for no other reason than they smote the insidious power of the Romulan Empire with the flick of a pen. Trek's best enemy... gone forever... relegated to a tribe of nomads clawing and scratching an existence out of the scraps of other's leftovers. Anyone who's seen Re-unification knows Gene would never have let such insult befall this great race.
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-12-2011, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlo
I'm gonna have to come down and say JJ's XI, simply for no other reason than they smote the insidious power of the Romulan Empire with the flick of a pen. Trek's best enemy... gone forever... relegated to a tribe of nomads clawing and scratching an existence out of the scraps of other's leftovers. Anyone who's seen Re-unification knows Gene would never have let such insult befall this great race.
Yeah, this too. Really big let down for all the years of teasing us with the concept of a battle between a Romulan Warbird and a Galaxy class Starship, but then it was the TNG movies that let us down first when they gave us another Klingon BoP vs Enterprise in Generations, and then when we finally got a Romulan Movie, there wasn't a D'Deridex Warbird in sight.

I've posted about this many times on these forums that Cryptic and Paramount/CBS has a great chance to show the Romulans to return to their former power. Romulus was just one world in the empire. The capital, yes, but the most populus? Who can say.

Remember when Mark Lenard's Romulan Commander spoke of returning home. He didn't speak of the homeworld or any one place. He yearned for the 'Stars of home'.