Lt. Commander
# 1 Beam Turret idea
06-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Once upon a time when the carrier received a bit of love it was suggested to use 6 turrets to "support"
it's team and fighters, though this is a very effective measure due to low turn rate we then lose our
target subsystems abilities.

I have a thought, with the introduction of the 360 degree arc beams that fighters can use, why not us
slow turing carriers and cruisers? I submit for approval by my peers and by Cryptic to make a new beam
turret available to us, with the same stats as the standard cannon turret, but in beam form, for example
a mkXII turret does 99dpv and 132dps and minus 8 power when fired with other energy weapons with buffs,
debuffs, and procs depending on modifiers and type.

While i find using beam arrays effective, i find that turning to keep someone in my broadside difficult
at times not just with my carrier but with cruisers as well.

Now i know some people will blast this post as a FAW loving device, it has been said that there is a fix
in the works, also when i found faw to be too OP i spent the 3mil ec for bo3 and retired my faw for after the fix.

I suggest keeping both types of turrets, beam for beam spec'd captains such as myself and the cannon
type for those who spec'd into cannons. I have been playingvwith this idea for a while and suggested
it to my fellow pvpers, but now i would like to hear from the community at large and hopefully from
someone in the Cryptic staff. Thank you for reading, and happy hunting! (btw this post done using my
smart*** phone, any errors please report it to damnyouautocorrect.com )
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-01-2011, 12:49 AM
Your idea is good... However, the wall of text is killing the eyes, so for the purpose of enhancing responses to this, I am gonna post the text with paragraphs if that is ok...

If you at a later point decide you want it gone, or split it up yourself, I will remove it of cause:

Quote:
Once upon a time when the carrier received a bit of love it was suggested to use 6 turrets to "support"
it's team and fighters, though this is a very effective measure due to low turn rate we then lose our
target subsystems abilities.

I have a thought, with the introduction of the 360 degree arc beams that fighters can use, why not us
slow turing carriers and cruisers? I submit for approval by my peers and by Cryptic to make a new beam
turret available to us, with the same stats as the standard cannon turret, but in beam form, for example
a mkXII turret does 99dpv and 132dps and minus 8 power when fired with other energy weapons with buffs,
debuffs, and procs depending on modifiers and type.

While i find using beam arrays effective, i find that turning to keep someone in my broadside difficult
at times not just with my carrier but with cruisers as well.

Now i know some people will blast this post as a FAW loving device, it has been said that there is a fix
in the works, also when i found faw to be too OP i spent the 3mil ec for bo3 and retired my faw for after the fix.

I suggest keeping both types of turrets, beam for beam spec'd captains such as myself and the cannon
type for those who spec'd into cannons. I have been playingvwith this idea for a while and suggested
it to my fellow pvpers, but now i would like to hear from the community at large and hopefully from
someone in the Cryptic staff. Thank you for reading, and happy hunting! (btw this post done using my
smart*** phone, any errors please report it to damnyouautocorrect.com )
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-01-2011, 05:15 AM
Thank you for your input, i have gone back in and edited my post, once i got on my actual computer, it is a different view from my phone and on my monitor, on the phone the spacing showed up as it is now, so this taught me one thing, no longer use my phone to start a thread.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-01-2011, 01:39 PM
The only issue I can see with making a Beam Turret have equivalent stats to a Cannon Turret is that beam weapons have an innately lower damage drop-off over range. So while everything else about the weapons would be equivalent, the beam turrets would be superior with respect to ranged firepower. If such a weapon were to be added, I think it would need a very slightly lower damage than the Cannon equivalent to compensate.

That said, I would still like to see more variety in weapons. Beam turrets (upgraded Phase Cannons from ENT?), wide-arc torpedo launchers (reduced warhead load for increased propulsion systems?), 90 cannons (not sure what to relate here, but we have 180 cannons so why not?), among other things.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-01-2011, 02:17 PM
i see your point, so then since cannons inherently have lower dpv and higher dps, swap them i guess would be only fair
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Beam Turrets would be a nice addition. Cannon Turrets as they are use both Rapid Fire and Scatter Volley, so beam turrets should be able to use Beam Overload and FAW. I imagine they could just copy stats over from shuttle beam arrays. They're about on par with turrets as it is. Would make Beam Boating more effective, though if they did this I hope they'd go in and fix FAW so that it doesn't do full damage to secondary targets, as thats pretty much what's broken FAW.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaine8123 View Post
i put this in here to make it known that abusing a broken skill for this type of weapon i am suggesting was not my intention
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-03-2011, 04:53 PM
i hope this helps when i'm in my carrier or cruiser i generaly attack from below the foe this way all my beams have access and you can burn them down pretty fast and they have to come to you thus relieving you of the long slow turn
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-03-2011, 04:58 PM
Beam and Cannons Points are Tier 2 skill points spend.... Why not run 1 beam array front and rear with 2 turrets .... would get the effect you want of 360 degree coverage... only really loosing the dmg of ONE beam when you have some one in the front or rear arc. Hardly going to be noticed in the total DPS provided.

In fact considering they would lower the total dmg of a beam style turret, I can't see the advantage for you of not just doing it this way. A beam style turret would have to provide lower dmg then a cannon turret or it would simply be out of balance.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Beam turrets are nice idea, even with minimal dmg, they would still profit from beam abilties, like target subsystem or FaW against mines.