Lt. Commander
# 11
06-08-2011, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashvitto
I think we have to start learn (i need, definitely) some ground pvp.
I think the ground combat changes miss the most important problem with ground PvP -- if you spec to be competitive for ground you can't compete in space and visa versa.

Different ship and captain types have slightly different skill requirements, but it's rough for most ship and captain types.

Captains of science vessels can't max their space skills anyway, so diverting skill points to the ground is worst for them.

Captains of healing cruisers have it next worse, since they also can't max every skill they use, and tend to need a lot of points invested in high-end skills to heal competitively. They are a little better off than science vessel captains, but they are still likely to have less than 1000 skill points in ground, if they can spare any at all.

Captains of ships that only use a single weapon type (all cannons for example) and don't rely heavily on science or engineering skills are the only ones that can have a balanced ground build. Not "maxxed" but "balanced".

The interview suggested that splitting ground and space skills might be on the table later, but not as part of season 4. Since the one limitation to ground PvP that players can't work around is remaining unchanged, I really wouldn't expect ground PvP to take off.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Lets be clear here the ground combat change was not for PvP, it is a by-product. The change was for the FPS migrants that only care about immersion. If you like ground combat go play COD or things like it otherwise STO is first about space combat and less about ground.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Data
Lets be clear here the ground combat change was not for PvP, it is a by-product. The change was for the FPS migrants that only care about immersion. If you like ground combat go play COD or things like it otherwise STO is first about space combat and less about ground.
The series and movies are a lot more about ground than space.

Ground PvP doesn't have to be like a FPS to be fun. Most MMOs only have ground PvP, but can still be successful and enjoyable as PvP games, so it seems silly to say "go play COD". Just because the MMO-style ground combat in STO is bad, doesn't mean that MMO-style ground combat in general is bad, or that there aren't a lot of people who prefer it over FPS.

I agree that the change wasn't for PvP, but nothing about STO is about PvP. PvP was just a box to check to make STO compare well with other MMOs, kind of like having two playable factions. It's pretty obvious that PvP is not even taken into consideration when designing any part of the game. No one at Cryptic looks at something like tractor mines, scorpion fighters, or hargh'pengs and even asks "how might this effect PvP?" If they did then those things wouldn't make it to holodeck. Building a good PvP game is just a side effect.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagles View Post
I caution people to consider the possibility that this is just BS to keep your hopes up and to stay subscribed. They have done this in the past many times after all.
This can't be stressed enough times. Go cryptic go
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo716 View Post
Possible open pvp for season 4? O_O pleeeeeeease!!!!!
Quote:
I caution people to consider the possibility that this is just TwoLetterAcronym to keep your hopes up and to stay subscribed.
Imo it is an attempt to sell us the nuking of Kerrat as a PVP feature. Nuking Kerrat has been on dstahl's to-do-list for quite some time now. Since Kerrat is considered some kind of "open pvp", replacing Kerrat with a cheap copy means "new maps for open pvp in season 4".
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-08-2011, 10:40 AM
Quote:
I caution people to consider the possibility that this is just BS to keep your hopes up and to stay subscribed. They have done this in the past many times after all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom
Imo it is an attempt to sell us the nuking of Kerrat as a PVP feature. Nuking Kerrat has been on dstahl's to-do-list for quite some time now. Since Kerrat is considered some kind of "open pvp", replacing Kerrat with a cheap copy means "new maps for open pvp in season 4".
ouch who thought agreement is possible. I don't expect anything to write home about before 2012 for pvp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTAHL
Yes. We plan some PVP love during Season 4, and more specifically Open PVP areas if we can get the tech and rewards ironed out.
I just can't take this statement serious when it already includes a conditional
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by havam
ouch who thought agreement is possible.
We must unite against a common enemy!
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Old and already boring question about playlable Romulans? W H E N - this year, next, in two years?
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Data
I agree with you. If I like fps I play Cod, Cs 1.6 -source, battlefield.

But for example, i never played mmo like wow, sto, conan etc etc , the only online-game i've played in my life is Counter strike source.

If cryptic add some Fps gameplay to STO, I trasform in yoshi for happiness.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by inktomi19d View Post
The series and movies are a lot more about ground than space.

Ground PvP doesn't have to be like a FPS to be fun. Most MMOs only have ground PvP, but can still be successful and enjoyable as PvP games, so it seems silly to say "go play COD". Just because the MMO-style ground combat in STO is bad, doesn't mean that MMO-style ground combat in general is bad, or that there aren't a lot of people who prefer it over FPS.
THe change to ground combat isn't going to bring people back permanently mayb a month or 2 if they like ground combat. Yeah ground PvP will tick up for a couple of weeks but with Space and Ground skills in the same tree only the weak space pvpers may give ground pvp a go in hopes of being "good" at some form of pvp.