Lt. Commander
# 11
06-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Gozer, it is blatantly easy to add tonnes of new content, equal in awesomeness to the new Remastered missions in only a single day of fairly relaxed work.

Sheesh.

Joking ofc, GREAT work, cant wait to see what you are scheming with the STFs!
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindmage View Post
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~<GM Jahia>
100% agree

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~<GM Jahia>
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-09-2011, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic_Gozer

...So do me a favor Please stop telling me how "easy" something might be for me to do, because you really don't have any information or experience with our tools to make that assumption.

Goz
You Devs are all just lazy. All you have to do is press the "add content that will make everyone happy" button. Why you only press it a few times per season is beyond me

j/k of course

Seriously though, I know it's not easy to do a great deal of what you do. But your (you and the rest of the team) hard work and effort really do show in all the post launch content so far. Despite the nitpicking, you guys roll out content that can give massive MMO teams a run for their money, and still manage to find time to come and get abused on the forums :p
The fact that you make your work look so easy is a testament to your skill and the quality of your work.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Quote:
I didn't get "huffy" I just answered your question. I said "There will never be a Type 8 Shuttle Interior that players (you) would be happy with. We won't make an art asset (that you can use in missions) that you can't fit 5 players in.

As far as the cut scene goes... There is no way I could make that particular sequence as "just a cut scene" it's not the way our engine works. I have to transfer you to the map first and turn you invisible, that means I have to put you someplace first so I can hide you while I move the cameras around.

Originally I had you starting out in a shuttle bay and playing the landing sequence there, then we made a shuttle interior so I put you in that instead because it was cooler. Everything else was made for the original Bay - Ground scene.

I didn't have time to go back and have a "special" cut scene runabout made to use it instead of the type 8. Not to mention that even if I had it would have caused people to nitpick that as well. Instead of "The interior is big threads" we would have "but my ship doesn't have a runabout" thread..

My point here Azurian, is that blanket statements about "how easy" something might be to change are generally way off from the actual truth. If it were "easy" I would do it.. end of story... However most things are not easy...

So do me a favor Please stop telling me how "easy" something might be for me to do, because you really don't have any information or experience with our tools to make that assumption.

Goz
Oh snap! You go girl!
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-09-2011, 10:57 PM
Now THAT was "huffy"! :p
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-09-2011, 11:02 PM
Quote:
I didn't have time to go back and have a "special" cut scene runabout made to use it instead of the type 8. Not to mention that even if I had it would have caused people to nitpick that as well. Instead of "The interior is big threads" we would have "but my ship doesn't have a runabout" thread..
I appreciate that the changes aren't easy, or always possible if you don't have the art assets, but really, at the point this mission occurs in game, no one should have a shuttle of any kind. The size of the interior wasn't even as bad for me as the fact it doesn't "match" the shuttle, it has side doors, and the shuttle has a rear ramp. Of course, as fans all know, its a runabout interior anyhow. I don't blame anyone, its just a pet peeve of mine when its hard to imagine the interior matching the exterior. This is also a problem I have with the Diplomatic Conference room. Its an awesome set, but it doesn't match most of the ships in game hull shape.

I also have faith that you guys could make a type 8 Interior that fits 5 players.

Please don't take any of these feedback the wrong way, the mission was awesome, and I loved it, and can't wait to see more!
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-09-2011, 11:48 PM
*sigh*

If it would take an inordinate amount of resources to do a fluff sequence consistently and at high quality, and still a non-trivial amount of resources to do it inconsistently and at... debatable quality, I would suggest that 'not do it at all' becomes the best option.

Also, the engine team needs to add a function that allows skipping of cutscenes that are currently unskippable for technical reasons - perhaps by invoking an instantaneous 'fast forward' to force everything to the end state.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-10-2011, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
*sigh*

If it would take an inordinate amount of resources to do something consistently and at high quality, and still a non-trivial amount of resources to do it inconsistently and at... debatable quality, I would suggest that 'not do it at all' becomes the best option.
Bet you 70 billion that Bill Gates would disagree with you :p

I was going to say more, but this actually really sums it up for me quite well. Just because you can't do something flawlessly does not make "don't do it at all" the best option. Imagine if people took that stance on indoor plumbing when it was first invented.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-10-2011, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
*sigh*

If it would take an inordinate amount of resources to do a fluff sequence consistently and at high quality, and still a non-trivial amount of resources to do it inconsistently and at... debatable quality, I would suggest that 'not do it at all' becomes the best option.

Also, the engine team needs to add a function that allows skipping of cutscenes that are currently unskippable for technical reasons - perhaps by invoking an instantaneous 'fast forward' to force everything to the end state.
Umm not sure if this is widly know but if you hit spacebar right before the cut scen plays (keep pushing just to be sure) it will skip the cut scene. Someone in my fleet found this out
Lt. Commander
# 20 Two Things:
06-10-2011, 01:50 AM
(1) Where is this cutscene? I haven't seen it yet!

(2) This is perhaps the most amusing conversation I have ever seen on these forums, but I think this is the one time the developers should've given you exactly what you asked for... A shuttle jam packed with bridge officers so tightly that no one can move, with legs and fingers sticking in everybody's faces. Finally, they can't steer the ship because someone's ass is in the way and the shuttle collides with the side of the vessel right next to the shuttle bay. The mission ends with someone saying: "I told you we could all fit in there!"