Lt. Commander
# 21
06-10-2011, 02:35 AM
Personally I would have just used a Runabout in the cut scene and on the ground. If players said they don't have a Runabout then I would say "Subscribe for 400 days to resolve that issue".

Besides, this little "problem" isn't anything compared to commandeering a single BoP then having it magically turn into FIVE BoPs! during Doomsday Remastered. Musta been that damn Q again!
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-10-2011, 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror-Master
Besides, this little "problem" isn't anything compared to commandeering a single BoP then having it magically turn into FIVE BoPs! during Doomsday Remastered. Musta been that damn Q again!
Actually, I think that's what the 4 BoP's at the yard are for; I just can't recall anything in the mission text addressing that.
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-10-2011, 05:08 AM
My only two concern with the shuttle are the Door you exit on the ship those not exits on the outside of the shuttle. There are no side doors on type 8 shuttle in game.

I am also doubt a type 8 shuttle with crew of 5 needs or would have a transporter. I would image it would be either empty space with fold up benches on side or seats in the back.

Also it missing the large rear door, the only door visible on the outside of the shuttle.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-10-2011, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius_Perplexus
I think this is the one time the developers should've given you exactly what you asked for... A shuttle jam packed with bridge officers so tightly that no one can move, with legs and fingers sticking in everybody's faces. Finally, they can't steer the ship because someone's ass is in the way and the shuttle collides with the side of the vessel right next to the shuttle bay. The mission ends with someone saying: "I told you we could all fit in there!"
And thus we would get the "Barnum & Bailey" Clown-class shuttle.

Me, I'll take the TARDIS-class.

The argument that it should be done "right" or not at all just cracks me up. That anyone claiming to be a fan of Star Trek... or any other SciFi / Fantasy franchise... can't ratchet up their suspension of disbelief just a little bit and enjoy it.

If anything, the scale issue that had me scratching my head more than anything was the scale between the character and the shuttlecraft exterior on the ground. Back in TOS, the shuttles were clearly bigger than that. But you know what? The shuttle flight to the surface of Vulcan was a thing of wonder in and of itself and well worth the niggling details. We need that kind of stuff in the game from time to time. It is MORE immersive... not less.

The game tries, mostly successfully, to give us a cinematic view while also delivering functional game play. The scale issues that bug people are part of the compromises necessary to pull it off. You think the TV shows and movies didn't fudge the scale whenever necessary?

People should stop and realize that if the game had been kept in development until the game engine had been tweaked to satisfy all of the nitpicky little details some folks are complaining about... very likely it would never have shipped at all. It would have been squashed as too expensive to produce.

I wish people would start believing in Star Trek Online... and stop believing in the Computer Game Fairy.
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-10-2011, 06:30 AM
Maybe I'm a simpleton. I liked the interior, as it was a very good interior. I did have a problem that it didn't match the outside (as someone else pointed out we are instructed to go out the door on the side that doesn't exist).

I would have been happy had they used the same interior, taken out the transporter area and put a big door in the back (and maybe a couple benches along the sides). I would have let the tardis-y size thing slide.

I suppose then people would have complained that the windows in the front weren't right.
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-10-2011, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic_Gozer View Post
blanket statements about "how easy" something might be to change are generally way off from the actual truth. If it were "easy" I would do it.. end of story... However most things are not easy...

So do me a favor Please stop telling me how "easy" something might be for me to do, because you really don't have any information or experience with our tools to make that assumption.

Goz
You're absolutely right, Gozer. Development work isn't easy, period.

Regarding the re-mastered 'Diplomatic Orders' mission, I have to say that subjectively it still doesn't do for me what I wanted from it since I always wanted a confrontational scene between your Captain and the Ambassador but objectively it's a lot better experience than the original version. Well done!
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-10-2011, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius_Perplexus
(1) Where is this cutscene? I haven't seen it yet!

(2) This is perhaps the most amusing conversation I have ever seen on these forums, but I think this is the one time the developers should've given you exactly what you asked for... A shuttle jam packed with bridge officers so tightly that no one can move, with legs and fingers sticking in everybody's faces. Finally, they can't steer the ship because someone's ass is in the way and the shuttle collides with the side of the vessel right next to the shuttle bay. The mission ends with someone saying: "I told you we could all fit in there!"
It is canon: http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Class_2_shuttle

Quote:
Tom Paris added that "they used to shoehorn half a dozen cadets into one of these things for weeks at a time," adding, "you did not want to be around when they opened up that airlock."
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Its crazy how small some of the stuff will get people angry and claim is a slap in their face or isn't "real" trek. Why nit pick over tiny irrelevant details and ask them to be fixed when the devs should spend their time giving us new stuff to play around.
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
Back in TOS, the shuttles were clearly bigger than that.
Yes, but the Class F Shuttle was a somewhat larger design than the Type 8 Shuttle. And in fact, the interior of the Type 8 is considerably smaller than the Class F, because the TOS's boxy design allowed for more interior space, with much thinner walls than the later mockups.

To me, the exterior of the Type 8 seemed a LITTLE small, but standing next to it I could see that with a little fudging I could stand up inside it. The interior was a bit too big, and remember noting that it shouldn't have a transporter, but the actual set for a Type 8 shuttle was probably just the full sized shuttle, with all the camera angles pointing at the nose. The cameras had to go somewhere.

If the devs had just added a wall across the "set" right in front of the transporter it probably would have been perfect. Not literally correct, but not too much bigger while still allowing for some freedom of movement.

As for the interior as a Runabout interior, I hope that the devs add a door behind the transporter, so we can continue back into the lounge area and engineering section. As is, I'd say the interior is that of a Type 7 or 11 shuttle. And the Class F would be about the same size.
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic_Gozer
Originally I had you starting out in a shuttle bay and playing the landing sequence there, then we made a shuttle interior so I put you in that instead because it was cooler.
Gozer, does that mean that a shuttle bay interior has been created, by any chance? Or did you just create the shuttle interior instead?