Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
06-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Equinox
I have never understood how this can be true, as all graphical output is done on the players computer, all the game server processes is a players movements/selection imput.
With a single player game the developers know what will be on a players screen at any time and they can optimise the graphics around this.

With an MMO there could be many dozens of different unique ships on your screen at any time and the developers cannot easily control that, all those asset have to be preloaded just incase they are required.

Plus with a commercial game the developers want it playable on as many pc's as possible.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avigrace View Post
With a single player game the developers know what will be on a players screen at any time and they can optimise the graphics around this.

With an MMO there could be many dozens of different unique ships on your screen at any time and the developers cannot easily control that, all those asset have to be preloaded just incase they are required.

Plus with a commercial game the developers want it playable on as many pc's as possible.
that's exactly right.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-11-2011, 01:28 AM
So......what you are saying is that Star Trek Excalibur is a very strict cannon online game? From what I've seen it looks a lot like Bridge Commander. (Which I stll play and have tons of downloaded mods for. I actually have almost a terrabyte of mods downloaded for it) Love BC.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strome
So......what you are saying is that Star Trek Excalibur is a very strict cannon online game? From what I've seen it looks a lot like Bridge Commander. (Which I stll play and have tons of downloaded mods for. I actually have almost a terrabyte of mods downloaded for it) Love BC.
no it is not. but the Ships modeled after Star Trek Ships are just exactly right.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Quote:
and STE is being developed into MMO from what they are doing. i believe that they could want to rival CBS's Cryptic Studios's STO
How on earth could STE become an MMO without CBS approval? you said yourself these guys build the game in thier spare time, how could they afford a star trek licence and/or convince CBS to grant them one?

The idea that this game could become an MMO is not concieveable in its current state, and they would probably need hundreds of thousands of dollars to even being to contemplate becoming an MMO.

How do you justify the idea that they are hoping to compete with STO? in consideration that STO pays alot of money in roalyties for the use of copyright?
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Equinox
How on earth could STE become an MMO without CBS approval? you said yourself these guys build the game in thier spare time, how could they afford a star trek licence and/or convince CBS to grant them one?

The idea that this game could become an MMO is not concieveable in its current state, and they would probably need hundreds of thousands of dollars to even being to contemplate becoming an MMO.

How do you justify the idea that they are hoping to compete with STO? in consideration that STO pays alot of money in roalyties for the use of copyright?
actually, STE is Free for Download when completed. i have even begin to think they have made the game Mod-Friendly for Modders. because i saw what they said in forums of STE.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superlink1 View Post
actually, STE is Free for Download when completed. i have even begin to think they have made the game Mod-Friendly for Modders. because i saw what they said in forums of STE.
That does not answer my question at all. You stated that STE was hoping to rival STO as an MMO, how can this be feasable. What does a free download have to do with it?
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-11-2011, 06:49 PM
This game is the answer to The hugely popular Bridge Commander. In fact I think a lot of the community making it are some of the big names in the BC modding circles. That alone will tell you, iif your familiar, the high quality of it. Totally Games made BC so it could "continue" like that, but I doubt they ever knew how wild the modder would get. That game wasn't only the best ST game ever, it's one of the best games ever IMO, with all the community support it never ends. My biggest complaint is STE is taking so long, yes, I know it's going to be free, But it's looking so highly polished, AAA quality, I want it NOW. I mean when a "buncha guys" are making a free game that has ship textures that rival what the studio can do....freaking impressive.

The reason STO isn't a system killer is simple....so more people can play= more money. I won't be surprised if they keep doing gradual increases over the years as the "average" pc improves, but doubt they'll take the time to make a crysis killer when only a handful of people would subscribe to play it
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post
The reason STO isn't a system killer is simple....so more people can play= more money. I won't be surprised if they keep doing gradual increases over the years as the "average" pc improves, but doubt they'll take the time to make a crysis killer when only a handful of people would subscribe to play it.
Yes, but that's why we have graphic options, no? :p If anything they could do a optional graphics patch (to save HDD space, ect), kind of what EvE online did a few years ago.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-11-2011, 09:35 PM
how can they even be making it without CBS approval?