Lt. Commander
# 131
10-23-2011, 05:08 AM
Simply make the visual effect of the ships toggle, you want to see skin tight on your ship select it on your shield. Want to see it on ALL ships select it in the option menus, client side only. Then those who do want it and those who dont want it can both have their cake.
Lt. Commander
# 132
10-23-2011, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulif_Davis
Sounds good, except the video that demonstrates the new concept shows the warheads detonating in mid-air.
It isn't actually intended to destroy them. Again the videos are:
  1. An over simplification for the people who dont understand physics
  2. A sales pitch for research funding

The intent of "reactive armor" in this case "electric-reactive-armor" has always been to lessen the impact velocity of projectiles on the actual hull, or deflect the projectile by changing the velocity direction.

Of course, if the lessening of impact velocity just so happens to create enough force to destroy said projectile, then that also works too. But this happens within a few centimeters from the hull, where standard physics equations tell you the repulsive force is exponentially stronger. Not in this "bubble field" that most people want you to believe.
Lt. Commander
# 133
10-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JToney3449 View Post
Simply make the visual effect of the ships toggle, you want to see skin tight on your ship select it on your shield. Want to see it on ALL ships select it in the option menus, client side only. Then those who do want it and those who dont want it can both have their cake.
Yes of course, disable all the effects that actually serve an important function.
I highly doubt they would waste time on an obscure visual effect for a small minority with such drawbacks.
Lt. Commander
# 134
10-23-2011, 09:58 AM
I'm not fussed either way, though I'm not sure which I'd use. I'm kinda leaning towards skintight, depends on what ship I use as well. Surprised at how active this thread still is. I hope Cryptic are watching.
Lt. Commander
# 135
10-23-2011, 11:43 AM
With the rise of C-store refits with special abilities, I'm sure they'll get round to the Sovereign one day. She needs her stripes, and as for her special ability console, well topic of this thread - give the future Sovvy refit skintight shields
Lt. Commander
# 136
10-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
So when you believe the technology of today supports your idea you say it's good and jump on that train and when it turns out it supports the opposite (like we previously also saw with the heat-exchange thing in the other thread) you just say the tech does not exist yet and real-life phyiscs don't really matter.

I'm not attacking you but I'm trying to understand the way you think.
Does this mean you believe what is shown in Trek (where it was just a decision by bored SFX folks to do it this way) is and has to have an actual real-life counterpart in every way?
Not attacking me! thats a load of BS!!!! If you trying to understand my way of thing here you go I type it out in simple words, 1) I never said what we see in star trek is real life, 2) Some of the things we have today have been shown on star trek 3) I never said that skin tight shields is better than bubble shields 4) the technology does exist, yet, so all we can do is speculate 5) All I have been saying is if the devs could make an option to have bubble shields or skin tight or make it a console or make it a unique feature for the sovereign refit if the devs will make one. :p
Lt. Commander
# 137
10-23-2011, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JToney3449 View Post
I apologize in advance.

I hate people like you that ask for "client side options". I lump you in the same crowd as the people that create mods for MMOs.

Literally the only thing besides the name floating above my head that distinguishes me from everyone else around me is how I choose to make my character appear. By creating a client-side option to take away part of what makes my appearance distinctive, you effectively cheapen my individuality. I identify myself by EVERYTHING associated with my character's appearance, and that includes the "bubble" shield that my ship has. Take that away, and you're effectively forcing me into your own personal mould.

Arguing that "everyone else will see you with a bubble" doesn't mean a thing. If you don't see it, then how many other people don't see it either?
Lt. Commander
# 138
10-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Quote:
I apologize in advance.

I hate people like you that ask for "client side options". I lump you in the same crowd as the people that create mods for MMOs.

Literally the only thing besides the name floating above my head that distinguishes me from everyone else around me is how I choose to make my character appear. By creating a client-side option to take away part of what makes my appearance distinctive, you effectively cheapen my individuality. I identify myself by EVERYTHING associated with my character's appearance, and that includes the "bubble" shield that my ship has. Take that away, and you're effectively forcing me into your own personal mould.

Arguing that "everyone else will see you with a bubble" doesn't mean a thing. If you don't see it, then how many other people don't see it either?
This^^ but in nicer terms.

I actually don't care either way. I just like the effect, and sorry, i forgot there wasn't combat in ST3. There was in 2, but neither ship had shields.

What was the worst trek movie? 5? Ya.... pretty bad.
Lt. Commander
# 139
10-24-2011, 04:48 AM
Quote:
I apologize in advance.

Umm well that why alot of people including my self have mentioned the idea of having the option for us to choose the skin tight effect or bubble effect.Maybe you should stop complaining and come with ideas that could help the devs.
Lt. Commander
# 140
10-24-2011, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ_2011
Maybe you should stop complaining and come with ideas that could help the devs.
My idea to help the devs is to not ask them to waste development time to create a visual effect that is virtually unused in the Star Trek IP, when they have much bigger fish to fry (such as making F2P a PROPER system, instead ot the mess that is currently on Tribble and/or planned to patch to Tribble).

That said, if they absolutely insist in implementing this for you vocal minority, then I like the idea of making it an option in the ship customization UI. It would make it global for everyone in the game, not something you toggle on and off just because you don't like someone else's appearance.