Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 141
10-24-2011, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulif_Davis
My idea to help the devs is to not ask them to waste development time to create a visual effect that is virtually unused in the Star Trek IP, when they have much bigger fish to fry (such as making F2P a PROPER system, instead ot the mess that is currently on Tribble and/or planned to patch to Tribble).

That said, if they absolutely insist in implementing this for you vocal minority, then I like the idea of making it an option in the ship customization UI. It would make it global for everyone in the game, not something you toggle on and off just because you don't like someone else's appearance.
But you're OK with them throwing completely random special abilities consoles in there like Shadowstep or Space Cover Shield, rather than including something that's been actually seen in Star Trek quite a few times, and is a desired feature?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 142
10-24-2011, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadoom
But you're OK with them throwing completely random special abilities consoles in there like Shadowstep or Space Cover Shield, rather than including something that's been actually seen in Star Trek quite a few times, and is a desired feature?
The space cover shields are very clearly modeled on the trap Q set in "Encounter at Farpoint" (same graphic) and the "Shadowstep" is very similar to the Picard maneuver.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 143
10-24-2011, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadoom
But you're OK with them throwing completely random special abilities consoles in there like Shadowstep or Space Cover Shield, rather than including something that's been actually seen in Star Trek quite a few times, and is a desired feature?
You mean the one being a functional power an ability and the other being purely cosmetic?
Yeah, I'm perfectly fine with the special abilities.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 144
10-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadoom
But you're OK with them throwing completely random special abilities consoles in there like Shadowstep or Space Cover Shield, rather than including something that's been actually seen in Star Trek quite a few times, and is a desired feature?
Wait, what? Where are they adding these?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 145
10-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
Wait, what? Where are they adding these?
they are not as far as we know, some of us wish they would though. As a option to choose either bubble shield or skin tight shield or maybe a console or as a unique feature is the devs decide to add the sovereign refit in the game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 146
10-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
Wait, what? Where are they adding these?
On Tribble, the F2P test server.

The Ch'Tang Bird of Prey over on Tribble has a special ability console called Subspace Jumper Console Mod "which allows you to instantly travel in subspace and teleport behind your target."

The Phalanx Science Vessel comes with a Barrier Field Generator "that can generate an energy barrier between you and your target which can be used defensively as cover."

I wonder why they add these wacky abilities (besides the whole giving the KDF stuff for once), but not something canon like skintight shields in space.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 147
10-24-2011, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadoom
On Tribble, the F2P test server.

The Ch'Tang Bird of Prey over on Tribble has a special ability console called Subspace Jumper Console Mod "which allows you to instantly travel in subspace and teleport behind your target."

The Phalanx Science Vessel comes with a Barrier Field Generator "that can generate an energy barrier between you and your target which can be used defensively as cover."

I wonder why they add these wacky abilities (besides the whole giving the KDF stuff for once), but not something canon like skintight shields in space.
Because skin tight shields would only be cosmetic, that only appeared once in the entire TNG timeline in a single movie which was the second worst Star Trek movie of all time.
There is no justification for diverting valuble time and resources to such a project.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 148
10-24-2011, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Because skin tight shields would only be cosmetic, that only appeared once in the entire TNG timeline in a single movie which was the second worst Star Trek movie of all time.
There is no justification for diverting valuble time and resources to such a project.
They would only be cosmetic unless they decided to make a console ability out of it like they did with Voyager's armour, which they certainly could do.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 149
10-24-2011, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadoom
They would only be cosmetic unless they decided to make a console ability out of it like they did with Voyager's armour, which they certainly could do.
And why would they? Skin tight shields in the one TNG movie they appeared in, aka Nemesis, was not in any way a unique feature.
And 3 out of 4 appearances of the sovereign all had bubble type shields.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 150
10-24-2011, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
And why would they? Skin tight shields in the one TNG movie they appeared in, aka Nemesis, was not in any way a unique feature.
And 3 out of 4 appearances of the sovereign all had bubble type shields.
The sovereign had a refit in Nemesis, including a pretty radically different side profile from theones we have in game. It could be extrapolated that the shields were an experimental tech feature of the Romulan ships and Sovereign refit seen in the film.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:26 AM.