Lt. Commander
# 151
10-25-2011, 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
It could be extrapolated that the shields were an experimental tech feature of the Romulan ships and Sovereign refit seen in the film.
Or, you could realize that in the real-world, military technology is so closely guarded that if 2 opposing parties develop the same technology at the same time, that someone had a leak, which would be unacceptable.

It was a design decision for that single movie. Technology in the Trek universe did not move in that direction. Shields are bubbles. Just look at Trek episodes featuring ships from even further in the future than Nemesis, and you'll see that the "experimental shielding" that you keep trying to call it didn't last very long at all.
Lt. Commander
# 152
10-25-2011, 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulif_Davis
Or, you could realize that in the real-world, military technology is so closely guarded that if 2 opposing parties develop the same technology at the same time, that someone had a leak, which would be unacceptable.

It was a design decision for that single movie. Technology in the Trek universe did not move in that direction. Shields are bubbles. Just look at Trek episodes featuring ships from even further in the future than Nemesis, and you'll see that the "experimental shielding" that you keep trying to call it didn't last very long at all.
Technology frequently leaks in Star Trek and extrapolating tiny design decisions into story elements is FUN.
Lt. Commander
# 153
10-25-2011, 04:19 AM
Quote:
Kind of like deployable hull armour, if it's so successful roll it out to every ship for them to use in an emergency. Voyager gets to keep that, the Sovvy should get skintights.
Lt. Commander
# 154
10-25-2011, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
And why would they? Skin tight shields in the one TNG movie they appeared in, aka Nemesis, was not in any way a unique feature.
And 3 out of 4 appearances of the sovereign all had bubble type shields.
Well no skin tight shields also appeared in star trek 6 in the scene which Scotty says shields weakening and we see a display of the shield. Nemesis wasn't that bad. The devs could also make it a console/s so other ships can use or have it as a special feature for a sovereign refit. When I first saw st 6 i always assumed that all the ships had the same bubble shields and as they got weaker they slow shrink in to the shape lol. Writers can always come up with ideas on how and why. So it would be a cool feature either way as a console or as a cosmetic for all ships.
Lt. Commander
# 155
10-25-2011, 09:12 AM
Quote:

Except all of those future episodes were immediately invalidated after Endgame
Lt. Commander
# 156
10-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ_2011
Well no skin tight shields also appeared in star trek 6 in the scene which Scotty says shields weakening and we see a display of the shield. Nemesis wasn't that bad. The devs could also make it a console/s so other ships can use or have it as a special feature for a sovereign refit. When I first saw st 6 i always assumed that all the ships had the same bubble shields and as they got weaker they slow shrink in to the shape lol. Writers can always come up with ideas on how and why. So it would be a cool feature either way as a console or as a cosmetic for all ships.
Like i said, in the one "TNG" movie they appeared....
Lt. Commander
# 157
10-25-2011, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadoom
Kind of like deployable hull armour, if it's so successful roll it out to every ship for them to use in an emergency. Voyager gets to keep that, the Sovvy should get skintights.
I see your point and I'm for skin tight shields as well, but I'm not fussed if we don't get it, anyway forget that Voyager episode, it was painful to watch, the older and smarter I get the more I realise how bad Voyager was.

Once they returned to Earth history had been changed and the armor and transphasic torpedoes should've ceased to exist.
Lt. Commander
# 158
10-25-2011, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Like i said, in the one "TNG" movie they appeared....
Isn't the rule on trek canon:

"If its seen in a series or movie its canon, and the more recent instances override all prior canon"

If thats so, bubble shields are not the right kind for this period, seeing as how the Enterprise had skin shields in Nemesis, the most recent canon for this universe.

Also, there are skin shields in the NuTrek, which would say that TOS had skin shields.

Thats right, canon war
Lt. Commander
# 159
10-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
Isn't the rule on trek canon:

"If its seen in a series or movie its canon, and the more recent instances override all prior canon"

If thats so, bubble shields are not the right kind for this period, seeing as how the Enterprise had skin shields in Nemesis, the most recent canon for this universe.

Also, there are skin shields in the NuTrek, which would say that TOS had skin shields.

Thats right, canon war
That was the point i made when I re started this topic and have said so many times.
Lt. Commander
# 160
10-25-2011, 12:42 PM
The "bubble" shields didn't exist until STTNG. In TOS and TMPs the shields were "skin tight." When the Ent-D came arrived in TNG we saw our first bubble-shield effect. (I particularly remember it being shown when the Crystaline Entity attempted to attack the Enterprise.)

What's interesting is that whenever we see a skin-tight shield in Star Trek, it's during a torpedo hit, and never a phaser hit. In First Contact the Enterprise-E gets hit with Borg beam weapons, and a bubble effect occurs. Later in Nemesis, the Ent-E gets hit with a torpedo and the skin-tight effect is shown.

Personally, I'm going to choose to believe that all ships have both a Polarize Hull Plating (skin-tight effect), and full blown Deflector Shields (Bubble Effect.)