Lt. Commander
# 61
10-17-2011, 07:09 PM
More unfriendly? MORE?

Damn man, this game is so weak on graphics that it could *USE* a feature like being able to select bubble or skin hit-effects!

I mean, it's barely using all of DX9's resources, let alone DX10 or 11, which pretty much everyone has support for these days...Everyone that's worth worrying about, anywho...

I'm tired of the same-old graphics for this game. I prefer eye-candy, I don't have a perfect PC, but it never crashes unless I make it do something to crash, and I never have any software compatibility issues either because my Windows 7 64-bit install is so organized, even after 7 months since the last time I wiped my SSD.

Most people have PC's that exceed what STO can currently do. I have every detail at max (without Antialiasing, which is a terrible gimmick and a waste of processing power when I have a $3500 monitor that supports 1920x1200x120hz without a hiccup, a few non-visible lines aren't going to matter to me at that resolution and screen size), and I'm pushing over 120FPS, which is more than my monitor can handle, and so I always run VSync with TripleBuffer to compensate.

I'd love to have some graphics effects that actually eat more than 5FPS per rendering pass.

This PC isn't even new, it's not I7 and it still has a pair of GTX 280's. I think for what it does, it's really incredible for what it cost me back when, and how little hardware replacement it's needed over time. Every time I get ready to drop the cash on the latest flavor of GeForce, all I have to do is run 98% of the 33 currently installed games at 120FPS+, and I am reminded that it still is not time for that.

This game could use some special effects that set it above what other games can do. I don't know of any space combat games that use skin-shielding effects, even if it does not provide a tangible gameplay benefit, at least it would be something unique to STO.

Now, granted, the actual performance of skin-shields is highly suspect due to kinetic force and heat build-up, but as a purely graphical effect, it would be something unique for this game, and this game needs all the extras it can get, losing thousands of subscribers this year...
Lt. Commander
# 62
10-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by machocyclone View Post
I don't recall in any of the series of ship have a "skin tight" shield. They have the bubble effect. I also do play with the shield graphic turned off.
Except, of course, the Enterprise-E in Nemesis, who had skin tight shields rather than bubble shields.
Lt. Commander
# 63
10-17-2011, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmGillis View Post
Except, of course, the Enterprise-E in Nemesis, who had skin tight shields rather than bubble shields.
Which of course wasn't a series.
Lt. Commander
# 64
10-17-2011, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeny View Post
Which of course wasn't a series.
...a series of blunders.
Lt. Commander
# 65
10-18-2011, 12:18 AM
My god you RP'ers argue over the most minute things. Shields are fine the way they are right now, there are so many more important things in the game that need work.

You might as well be complaining about trees with the wrong orientation at SFA.
Lt. Commander
# 66
10-18-2011, 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmGillis View Post
And the Enterprise A in ST 6. :p
Lt. Commander
# 67
10-18-2011, 04:37 AM
Alaric_Kell:

I disagree, despite having a decent system myself. The target audience for an MMO doesn't even necessarily have a dedicated graphics card and many play on a laptop or a 5+ year old computer. PC gamers are not the target. A lot of people have had issues with STO overheating their system or not meeting the specs.

The game is more than fine as it is and needs to utilize the features it has better, such as some mild hair physics and partial transparency on hair. It needs smarter eye candy, notmoreof it.

Compareit solely to MMOs, not PC games. The levelof eye candy is good;it just needs to utilize existing features better. (So, for example, renderingindividual hairs is silly. But having hair use some physics like the mirror sashes and a texture with partial transparencylike Caitian whiskers, totally doable.)
Lt. Commander
# 68
10-18-2011, 05:39 AM
Indeed, very few people have a top of the line system, and unfortunately STO's graphics engine isnt the most efficient either which has even me with a Core i5-2500k at 4GHz, 8GB RAM and a GTX 470 to get some hefty performance drops here and there.

Bubble shields are the most identifiable shield type with the Star Trek franchise, and I rather that any more eye candy be focused on more interesting things such as improved ship damage modeling and particle effects.
I for one would rather see an enemy ship gloriously break apart in pieces and secondary explosions than having a skin tight shield.

Kinda sad when a decade old game has vastly superior damage effects. :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPnDrKn0Z0Y
Lt. Commander
# 69
10-18-2011, 05:52 AM
Yes definitely, I want to see skintight shields on some ample nacelles. Where do I sign up?
Lt. Commander
# 70
10-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidNuetronium
Yes definitely, I want to see skintight shields on some ample nacelles. Where do I sign up?
Agreed. Skin tight shields have been in star trek longer than bubble shields and they should have an opton at least for us players to choose which shield. If the devs decide not to make an shield console.