Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Fleetyards
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Allright, I'm just getting back into the game and I'm running on a high of inspiration fueled both by the reruns of the weekly episodes actually allowing my character to follow missions on a story line and the possibility of my Nausicaan tactical officer actually owning a Nausicaan ship! Currently I'm a commander 3 in a raptor running a standard loadout of cannons, turrets and a QT launcher. I'm actively avoiding the use of my cloak since that is a toy I will not have at end game. In PVE it's easy enough to forget I even have it, and in PVP the challenge becomes using myself as fed bait to position the enemies for my cloaked allies or lure smaller groups into numerically advantageous exchanges.

So, I'm having fun leveling which is a welcome change from the last time I tried to grind a Klingon up but I now worry, am I deluding myself to think the siege destroyer will be fun and viable come end game? Here's the loadout and spec I'm planning on running

front: 3DBB (disruptor) 1QT Launcher
rear: 3 beam array

tac team1, Beam Overload2, AP:O1, AP:O3
High Yield1, High Yield2, Beam Overload3

Epts1, RSP1
Epts1

Hazard1, Sci team2

I intend to spend as much time as possible in siege mode scoring those big javelin hits and have planned my weapon loadout and bridge officer set up around this. I'm hoping the combination of increased beam firing arc, the longer effective range of beams and my two OP:O abilities will alleviate enough problems from siege mode's turn radius nerf to make it viable. But having never flown one of these tugs in siege mode, I need to know, is this going to be enough and am I nerfing myself too much by focusing so heavily on survivability with my engineering/science officers?

Editted to correctly assign AP:O1 as an LC skill. Thanks for the heads up
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
06-09-2011, 10:11 AM
The Destroyer is a nice ship. It has a feel like a big tanky escort! Good survivability and hard hitting if you can get the enemy in fron of you.

If you plan to PvP with it, be sure to cover your rear. Sucks to have a fed escort stuck on your a$$ for extended periods of time.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
06-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dassem_Ultor
The Destroyer is a nice ship. It has a feel like a big tanky escort! Good survivability and hard hitting if you can get the enemy in fron of you.

If you plan to PvP with it, be sure to cover your rear. Sucks to have a fed escort stuck on your a$$ for extended periods of time.
Pretty much you're weakest spot and the most common tactic used. People treat it a lot like a cruiser due to siege mode and hug its ass. Unlike a cruiser though you only go three rear slots and most likely they're turrets so you're SoL unless you can out turn them.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
06-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor_Forthright View Post
Pretty much you're weakest spot and the most common tactic used. People treat it a lot like a cruiser due to siege mode and hug its ass. Unlike a cruiser though you only go three rear slots and most likely they're turrets so you're SoL unless you can out turn them.
One way to deal with it is to use target engines and an aft beam array.

Or, you can put a beam array and a quantum launcher aft, and try whacking them with a BO/HYT combo.

Or you can use a tricobalt launcher or two, just for the knockback/stun.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
06-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dassem_Ultor
One way to deal with it is to use target engines and an aft beam array.

Or, you can put a beam array and a quantum launcher aft, and try whacking them with a BO/HYT combo.

Or you can use a tricobalt launcher or two, just for the knockback/stun.
Are mines helpful at all in that situation?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
06-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermbot View Post
Are mines helpful at all in that situation?
possibly chronitons. a proc may lower the escorts turning so you can get around it.

a lone tricob mine has too high a chance to get shot down before it has a chance to arm itself.

other mines are mostly good only to clutter up someones display, and that will not help.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
06-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dassem_Ultor
possibly chronitons. a proc may lower the escorts turning so you can get around it.

a lone tricob mine has too high a chance to get shot down before it has a chance to arm itself.

other mines are mostly good only to clutter up someones display, and that will not help.
Well, I'm already planning for beam arrays in back. I guess pick up a tricobalt and quantum torp launcher depending on whether I'm doing group PVP or solo.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
06-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Is it worth putting polaron weapons on a Grumba, or would I be better off using disruptors instead?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
06-09-2011, 10:11 AM
I like Disruptors because it matches the javelin, and I think points in disruptors affect that also
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
06-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Much like the Gal-X and its phaser lance its a good idea to spec into the chosen energy type of the special attack. Eventually I hope they add the ability to chance the energy type of these big weapons, but for now I'd suggest specing into Disruptors.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:35 AM.