Lt. Commander
# 1 Antiproton
06-09-2011, 11:21 AM
My buddy is always bragging on his antiproton beams and cannons and always telling me i need to ditch my phasers and go anti. I am playin around with some new build ideas so i want to get some input on it. I fly either an assault cruisar or an exselsior. Beams and Quantums has always been my load out. If i spec for antiproton i will not be able to afford torps and still keep my hull, sheild and aux points.

What is the general take for antiprotons on cruisars? My captain is human, with accurate and techie traits

BTW, my favorite beam has always been tetryon. I like the way they look and sound. Phasers seem to perform better.

Thanks for your help

-Trit
Lt. Commander
# 2
Anti Protons are not that great, its not like if you put two good players against each other, the anti proton user would win.Furthermore the skillpoints invested is quite high for weapons which arent even that 'great'.

From the description, it has a 'chance' to add 20+ extra critical severity, well i assume they mean by that it add's another +20 critical severity when you have a crit.

Some misconceptions about Anti Protons, until it has been proven otherwise:

- it gives extra accuracy
- It gives extra +2% critical chance
- It is supposed to bypass shields more often

(This would mean, on top of the existing 3 modifiers at Very Rare weaponary would add 2 extra 'hidden'? modifiers?)

Until both of the three has been proven or stated by developers, I'll stick with my Polarons with Accuracy x2 and x3 (And for the neat color). The -25 all power levels proc isnt that great, but the extra dmg to the Crew (has a chance to...) sounds good enough for me.

And for all crazyness, I think phasers are better then Anti protons because that 5 second subsystem failure could mean 5 seconds extra hull damage (When shields are down) or when their engines are down, their bonus defense drops to -15% at best :p
Lt. Commander
# 3
I run both phasers and antiprotons, and spec'd in each.

Eh, dont see no diff in damage between the 2, this can be said for every beam set.
Lt. Commander
# 4
Your buddy doesnt know what hes talking about.

There is no practical difference between Phasers or Anti-proton.

One have a slight chance of disabling a random system, the other have a slightly higher critical hit, (which are slightly rare )

If you use several fast refire weapons (turrets or single cannons with Rapidfire) you might see better returns on the procs.

Personally I prefer Tetryons, they simply look and sound better than the other effects, but Ive been forced to run Phaser/Disruptor on a lot of my cruisers, due to Eng/Sci captain powers eating up a lot of SPs.

TLR

If youre a Tac, go with whatever you like.. If youre not, you may be better off using Pha/Dis or Tet/Pla
Lt. Commander
# 5
Thanks for the feed back guys, this helps to clear up some of my plans
Lt. Commander
# 6
The rule of 7 should give you more than enough room to spec for ANY beam weapon you prefer.

Antiprotons have some bite. They are affordable in any really well done build in the game for any profession or career.

The forums have pretty much been overmoderated and buried most of the best threads and posts on these builds. And buried they will stay due to the reaction that happens when someone digs up one of these posts.

But with a weekend to kill you could maybe find something useful with the search function.

Antiprotons have effects people overlook.
Lt. Commander
# 7
Tacs can make phenomenal use of Antiprotons due to APA boosting both critical chance (CrtH) and critical damage (CrtD). GDF/TacFleet also boost damage, thereby further increasing the effectiveness of AP.

While Eng/Sci can make use of it, they're no better off with AP than any other weapon type.

For all intents of purposes, though, Phasers can be argued to be by far the best type of weapon.
Lt. Commander
# 8
purple dual heavy cannons with +70 critical severity is nothing to sneeze at, but for cruisers i don't think any weapon types they use benefit enough from antiproton to justify using them.
Lt. Commander
# 9
Antiproton are best then they're dual heavy cannons and used by a tactical. Beams less so and antiproton turrets are just a waste since a crit from them is hardly anything.

Basically, if you're using dual heavy cannons and are a tac, then antiprotons make some sense. They fire often and a crit from them is on quantum torpedo level. Anything else though and it's best to go for the basic energy weapon damage. Antiprotons cost far to much in skill points if they aren't being used effectively.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the info here guys! I've been using AP successfully with my Tac main, and was planning to use it when I finish leveling my eng alt, but after reading here, I'll stick him with phasers instead.