Lt. Commander
# 11
06-09-2011, 10:58 AM
I found beam arrays to be more useful in general. They may be boring but the fact that I can broadside something and rip its shields to shreds was just as fun as using Dual Beam Banks to do the same from the front. Either way, you can use Fire At Will or Beam Overload to speed things up when you wanna punch through some tougher shields.

I've seen and regularly watch STOked, so I know about their little mathy explinations. What this comes down to is personal taste and practical application. Sometimes taste outweighs the math. Illogic > logic. XD

In shields I've also noticed these. It made shield choices that much simpler but at the same time everyone wants big beefy shields now. So lets get into things..

Regenerative Shields:
The weakest capacity in the game. While they can't take much abuse, they bounce back the fastest when left alone. These work for very maneuverable ships which can more easily spread the damage around all four quadrants. The downside is that to get the best possible regen rate you have to run your Shield settings very high, like 75 or even 100. STOked made this crystal clear.

Resilient Shields:
The middle of the road. They have an average capacity and regeneration. As an added bonus 5% of the damage your shields take is absorbed leaving only 5% to bleed through to your hull. While it sounds nice, this damage reduction isn't useful for long battles. Simply put, you get some more survivability but you don't want to take on large groups while using it. They're "okay", little more. You can get away with a Shield setting of 50 with these for base regen, though rinning high on shields was suggested for these.

Covariant Shields:
The mother of all shields. STOked put it best in the mosy brick to the face manner they could. Covariants give you an extremely large shield damage capacity at the cost of having the worst regeneration rate in the game. But they give you the best survivability in a drawn out fight and give the best protection against alpha strikes. And because the regeneration rate is so low, you don't even need to bother with running Shield power above 25 because it won't increase your regen rate that much. You will however need to carry shield heal skills to compensate for their slow regen as stated in my last post. Use of these skills will help keep your shields up unless you're really getting beat on by a large mob or a bad-$$ PvP player.

Now there's a best "shield" for each category. Some have a fallback.

For Regenerative:
Borg Regenerative Shield - Hands down the BEST one of its type in the game. It still suffers from the shortcomings of its type, but when used with 2 additional peices of its set, the shield can auto-heal itself which adds quite a bit of survivability.

For Resilient:
This seems to be the Breen shield (Dielectric Oscillation Resilient Shields). Okay I admit it has a littly bit higher cap than your typical Resilient shield plus it gives you a +30% protection against Polaron weapons as an added bonus. This protection only applies to shield damage, not hull. So if your shields are down, that bonus is useless. Yet at Vice Admiral it gives you more capacity than a Resilient Shield Mk XII. So its probably equal to a [Cap]x2.

For Covariant:
Aegis Covariant Shield. Hands down. While its not as powerful as a Covariant Shield [Cap]x3, its usefulness cannot be overstated. Just slap this bad boy on a ship with 1 other Aegis part and you've got yourself +defense (when moving). Equip the full set and your shields will suddenly "adapt" to incoming damage for stacking bonuses if its triggered often enough. But this damage resistance only applies to your hull (not shields unless Cryptic says otherwise), and given that what damage you get from bleedthrough should already be pretty low at that rank you need to equip it.. Well lets just say that you won't notice it and may feel let down.

For Covariant (2):
Reman Prototype Covariant Shields: These are always equivilent to a [Cap]x2 covariant shield you can buy for exploration badges. But this baby is FREE for completing a specific Reman mission and you can replay it every time you get promoted to a new rank to get a level-scaled version. Plus it makes your ship look just plain MEAN when its equipped. Unfortunately its a standalone shield and is not part of a set, but I've used this shield myself for a long time before I got my hands on Borg and Aegis parts. And I will admit that using Borg parts + Reman Shields gives a new meaning what STOked said about "evil green glowies". *snicker*

-----
Ground Skills... These depend on your play style. Do you want to Tank, or heal? If you wanna heal, use a support kit with Medical Generator. These little things will help heal you (a smidge) but they give Medical Diagnosis and with a science officer with healing skills on hand, you can go for quite a distance. If you wanna tank, there's ways to do that too like with Bunker Fabrication kits. I use one of those and I'm almost always spamming the phaser turret and shield generator.

Whatever method you wanna use, you should equip your ground team appropriately. Healing? multiple science officers. Tanking? Multiple engineers. DPS? Multiple tactical officers (with damage buffs) or engineers (with turrets/mortars)

-----
Weapon types:
The popular choices are Disruptor, Plasma, Antiproton, and maybe Polaron. I say maybe.. Polarons aren't that special IMO but some people like them.

Disruptors debuff the target's damage resistance so they take MORE damage in subsequent hits.

Plasmas can inflict a Plasma Fire DoT to eat their hull away reguardless of shields (can be purged).

I haven't worked with Antiprotons before so I can't tell you. The STO Wiki says they give you +2% Critical Rate and +40 Critical Severity

Polarons can reduce enemy system power by -25 to everything.

You really should pick a type that suits your wishes in the end and spec for that. Though you have to pick wisely. Some types cost more skill points to use seriously than others (Plasma is a major example).

-----
The Borg Bridge Officer is a reward for buying the deluxe edition of the game I believe. It should not be confused with the Borg Science Officer Canidate. The Borg Bridge Officer is an Engineer. I won't go into detail so I'll just give you a link.

http://www.stowiki.org/Borg_bridge_officer - There's a Federation version and a Klingon version. They both come with the exact same space and ground skills.
Lt. Commander
# 12
Your analysis really does ignore the Mk X Cap x 3 shield. Which really only leads me to believe you have not ever equipped one. Which is rather common since the thing took a LOT of PVP grinding to acquire back in the day and then the level cap raise made it impossible to actually acquire for a good long time.

You should get someone who's used that shield to tell you how good it is and why people did that PVP grind for it in the first place. Especially in light of your advocacy of the Reman shield.
Lt. Commander
# 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Your analysis really does ignore the Mk X Cap x 3 shield. Which really only leads me to believe you have not ever equipped one. Which is rather common since the thing took a LOT of PVP grinding to acquire back in the day and then the level cap raise made it impossible to actually acquire for a good long time.

You should get someone who's used that shield to tell you how good it is and why people did that PVP grind for it in the first place. Especially in light of your advocacy of the Reman shield.
Couldn't care less, really. While it looks good on paper I'd really want a Mk II [Cap]x3 in the long run if those even existed. But I'm not a fan of PvP, especially the frustations that come with it. Between trying not to loose my temper at someone or grinding emblems, I'd take the latter. And I'd only use a [cap]x3 with a 3-peice Borg set anyway (if I ever get the deflector).

Maybe your reasons to advicate a pvp-grind shield can be placed in another thread. Or in a PM. As we're starting to drift a little bit now.
Lt. Commander
# 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethoir
Couldn't care less, really. While it looks good on paper I'd really want a Mk II [Cap]x3 in the long run if those even existed. But I'm not a fan of PvP, especially the frustations that come with it. Between trying not to loose my temper at someone or grinding emblems, I'd take the latter. And I'd only use a [cap]x3 with a 3-peice Borg set anyway (if I ever get the deflector).

Maybe your reasons to advicate a pvp-grind shield can be placed in another thread. Or in a PM. As we're starting to drift a little bit now.
Considering the content of your post is to advocate specific shields over other shields, I feel that the commentary is very much relevant to what you're saying. You purposely ignore a shield that you never equipped. And go on to advocate other shields as better than this one shield you do not have.

That's a faulty analysis. I think people reading your recommendations should take that into consideration. What's really telling is you move on to recommend the Reman shield. When the Cap 3 shield is point blank superior to it.

I guess what I will leave this discussion with is ... while your suggestions on what shield to equip "look good on paper" they don't exactly reflect the shields that are available and players should consider at least a second opinion before following said advice.
Lt. Commander
# 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethoir
I found beam arrays to be more useful in general. They may be boring but the fact that I can broadside something and rip its shields to shreds was just as fun as using Dual Beam Banks to do the same from the front. Either way, you can use Fire At Will or Beam Overload to speed things up when you wanna punch through some tougher shields.

I've seen and regularly watch STOked, so I know about their little mathy explinations. What this comes down to is personal taste and practical application. Sometimes taste outweighs the math. Illogic > logic. XD

In shields I've also noticed these. It made shield choices that much simpler but at the same time everyone wants big beefy shields now. So lets get into things..

Regenerative Shields:
The weakest capacity in the game. While they can't take much abuse, they bounce back the fastest when left alone. These work for very maneuverable ships which can more easily spread the damage around all four quadrants. The downside is that to get the best possible regen rate you have to run your Shield settings very high, like 75 or even 100. STOked made this crystal clear.

Resilient Shields:
The middle of the road. They have an average capacity and regeneration. As an added bonus 5% of the damage your shields take is absorbed leaving only 5% to bleed through to your hull. While it sounds nice, this damage reduction isn't useful for long battles. Simply put, you get some more survivability but you don't want to take on large groups while using it. They're "okay", little more. You can get away with a Shield setting of 50 with these for base regen, though rinning high on shields was suggested for these.

Covariant Shields:
The mother of all shields. STOked put it best in the mosy brick to the face manner they could. Covariants give you an extremely large shield damage capacity at the cost of having the worst regeneration rate in the game. But they give you the best survivability in a drawn out fight and give the best protection against alpha strikes. And because the regeneration rate is so low, you don't even need to bother with running Shield power above 25 because it won't increase your regen rate that much. You will however need to carry shield heal skills to compensate for their slow regen as stated in my last post. Use of these skills will help keep your shields up unless you're really getting beat on by a large mob or a bad-$$ PvP player.

Now there's a best "shield" for each category. Some have a fallback.

For Regenerative:
Borg Regenerative Shield - Hands down the BEST one of its type in the game. It still suffers from the shortcomings of its type, but when used with 2 additional peices of its set, the shield can auto-heal itself which adds quite a bit of survivability.

For Resilient:
This seems to be the Breen shield (Dielectric Oscillation Resilient Shields). Okay I admit it has a littly bit higher cap than your typical Resilient shield plus it gives you a +30% protection against Polaron weapons as an added bonus. This protection only applies to shield damage, not hull. So if your shields are down, that bonus is useless. Yet at Vice Admiral it gives you more capacity than a Resilient Shield Mk XII. So its probably equal to a [Cap]x2.

For Covariant:
Aegis Covariant Shield. Hands down. While its not as powerful as a Covariant Shield [Cap]x3, its usefulness cannot be overstated. Just slap this bad boy on a ship with 1 other Aegis part and you've got yourself +defense (when moving). Equip the full set and your shields will suddenly "adapt" to incoming damage for stacking bonuses if its triggered often enough. But this damage resistance only applies to your hull (not shields unless Cryptic says otherwise), and given that what damage you get from bleedthrough should already be pretty low at that rank you need to equip it.. Well lets just say that you won't notice it and may feel let down.

For Covariant (2):
Reman Prototype Covariant Shields: These are always equivilent to a [Cap]x2 covariant shield you can buy for exploration badges. But this baby is FREE for completing a specific Reman mission and you can replay it every time you get promoted to a new rank to get a level-scaled version. Plus it makes your ship look just plain MEAN when its equipped. Unfortunately its a standalone shield and is not part of a set, but I've used this shield myself for a long time before I got my hands on Borg and Aegis parts. And I will admit that using Borg parts + Reman Shields gives a new meaning what STOked said about "evil green glowies". *snicker*

-----
Ground Skills... These depend on your play style. Do you want to Tank, or heal? If you wanna heal, use a support kit with Medical Generator. These little things will help heal you (a smidge) but they give Medical Diagnosis and with a science officer with healing skills on hand, you can go for quite a distance. If you wanna tank, there's ways to do that too like with Bunker Fabrication kits. I use one of those and I'm almost always spamming the phaser turret and shield generator.

Whatever method you wanna use, you should equip your ground team appropriately. Healing? multiple science officers. Tanking? Multiple engineers. DPS? Multiple tactical officers (with damage buffs) or engineers (with turrets/mortars)

-----
Weapon types:
The popular choices are Disruptor, Plasma, Antiproton, and maybe Polaron. I say maybe.. Polarons aren't that special IMO but some people like them.

Disruptors debuff the target's damage resistance so they take MORE damage in subsequent hits.

Plasmas can inflict a Plasma Fire DoT to eat their hull away reguardless of shields (can be purged).

I haven't worked with Antiprotons before so I can't tell you. The STO Wiki says they give you +2% Critical Rate and +40 Critical Severity

Polarons can reduce enemy system power by -25 to everything.

You really should pick a type that suits your wishes in the end and spec for that. Though you have to pick wisely. Some types cost more skill points to use seriously than others (Plasma is a major example).

-----
The Borg Bridge Officer is a reward for buying the deluxe edition of the game I believe. It should not be confused with the Borg Science Officer Canidate. The Borg Bridge Officer is an Engineer. I won't go into detail so I'll just give you a link.

http://www.stowiki.org/Borg_bridge_officer - There's a Federation version and a Klingon version. They both come with the exact same space and ground skills.

That's a lot of info for me to take in......so thanks for it .............. i'm going to assume that (capx2) = max shield health x2 so for shields what your saying is to look for the cov until i get the reman shield though i thought I saw in the STO patch notes that cryptic took something out or sommat about the reman stuff. ship weapons (a nice topic) from what STOked and you have said means to me i should do the following set up:

this is based on a T5 crusier
Fore:

Phaser (single/dual????)
Polaron (unsure what weapon types i.e single dual so going to have to look around....probs on the exchange and the R&D page)
Photon lauchers x2 (bye bye mob hull)

AFT:

Disruptor(same again Single/dual???)
Anti-Proton (might make an alt to test this as it may work on paper but in theroy i not sure)
Photon lauchers x2

Bridge crew:

as in i think my first post i mentioned about my crew

fire at will didn't work for me as i was doing eg. 300 phaser damage @ 4 mobs whereas i could be doing 300 at 1 mob and making sure he wasn't regening his shields

beam overload is a must for me push power to weapons, beam overload = mob in hell need i say more????

since the borg officer from the c-store is an engineer that kinda suits me fine some of the skills i'm not happy with so i'l change them but others i'l have to look at

my ground tatics is rather simple......to me anyaway kill them before they kill me and my away team so then my medical officer doesn't have to write up death tokens. and that sorta applies to me in space apart from that i'm a little bit more..... blood thirsy? like watching other ships blow up??? i'm starting to sound like a klingon.

i'l see if i can post an image of my away team for you to look at

I just been MATHED......
Lt. Commander
# 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Considering the content of your post is to advocate specific shields over other shields, I feel that the commentary is very much relevant to what you're saying. You purposely ignore a shield that you never equipped. And go on to advocate other shields as better than this one shield you do not have.

That's a faulty analysis. I think people reading your recommendations should take that into consideration. What's really telling is you move on to recommend the Reman shield. When the Cap 3 shield is point blank superior to it.

I guess what I will leave this discussion with is ... while your suggestions on what shield to equip "look good on paper" they don't exactly reflect the shields that are available and players should consider at least a second opinion before following said advice.
I only suggested Reman because its free. You don't really have to do anything to get it. You don't have to get pvp badges for it and you don't need to use a standard Covariant [Cap]x2 over it either. That and the fact that it has a really "eye candy" visual effect attached, it works well enough until you run into the advanced shields later on like the Aegis or Borg shields and then the emblem/badge shields. If anything that's all I'm listing Reman for, a decent alternative covariant you don't have to grind badges for. That's it. Yes a [cap]x3 is better, but does the OP have pvp badges or emblems? Not yet. They can burn that bridge when they get to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1543
That's a lot of info for me to take in......so thanks for it .............. I'm going to assume that (capx2) = max shield health x2 so for shields what your saying is to look for the cov until I get the reman shield though I thought I saw in the STO patch notes that cryptic took something out or sommat about the reman stuff.
Only until you hit Rear Admiral. By that point you get more options for what shield to use because Covariants will get more flavorful. As Superchum said there are [Cap]x3 Covariants available, the only trick to getting them is you have to horde badges/emblems for them and that's the time consuming part. Maybe you can find some on the exchange, but I wouldn't count on it. They're muc better over [Cap]x2 Covariants when you get to the Admiral ranks if you have the patience to focus on getting one. I've got no patience for the grind so I don't particularly care for [Cap]x3. Been using a mixed Borg/Aegis set until I can complete a certain STF and go all out.

So yea, you can use Reman for a while since its a free mission reward. It looks good and it does the same thing as a Covariant [Cap]x2 of the same Mk level (the reward scales based on your rank when you do the mission for it).

The Dev team only removed the Reman Bridge Officer and the Emblem rewards from the Reman mission arc. They left everything else alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1543
Ship weapons (a nice topic) from what STOked and you have said means to me I should do the following set up:

this is based on a T5 crusier
Fore:

Phaser (single/dual????)
Polaron (unsure what weapon types i.e single dual so going to have to look around....probs on the exchange and the R&D page)
Photon lauchers x2 (bye bye mob hull)

AFT:

Disruptor(same again Single/dual???)
Anti-Proton (might make an alt to test this as it may work on paper but in theroy i not sure)
Photon lauchers x2

Bridge crew:

as in i think my first post i mentioned about my crew

fire at will didn't work for me as i was doing eg. 300 phaser damage @ 4 mobs whereas i could be doing 300 at 1 mob and making sure he wasn't regening his shields

beam overload is a must for me push power to weapons, beam overload = mob in hell need i say more????

since the borg officer from the c-store is an engineer that kinda suits me fine some of the skills i'm not happy with so i'l change them but others i'l have to look at

my ground tatics is rather simple......to me anyaway kill them before they kill me and my away team so then my medical officer doesn't have to write up death tokens. and that sorta applies to me in space apart from that i'm a little bit more..... blood thirsy? like watching other ships blow up??? i'm starting to sound like a klingon.

i'l see if i can post an image of my away team for you to look at

I just been MATHED......
Fire At Will you save for fighter mobs or for beating down a single ship in range. For examle, in Cutting The Cord it works really well when you broadside the Scimitar with it on since it eats that shield up fast. If you are trying to aggro a bunch of PvE enemies to follow you and give your allies more room to fight, its good for that too. Its also good for smashing mines, Tricolbalts, and High Yield plasmas torps so you don't have to manually target them (lazy but effective).

If FAW isn't to your liking you can always use Beam Overload to give you some burst damage for a slightly more powerful alpha strike. It only works on one beam rather than all of them from what I've seen (I could be wrong) but any extra damage you can do will hurt.

Also some people have talked about Directed Energy Modulation to increase the shield bleedthrough of your weapons (by 20%?) so more of your DPS gets to the hull. I haven't noticed a difference in my output with it but some people like it.

The one good skill on the Borg Bridge Officer was the Aceton Field. A Damage Output debuff on the target plus a DoT from radiation? It sounded nice. I liked it. But its single target-only and they have to be in your forward arc to use it. Whereas I found using Eject Warp Plasma to be more fun to use and better at spreading damage around multiple targets if they are dumb enough to so much as clip my trail.

Engineering Team II From the Borg BO is pretty sweet. A hull heal is always a good thing when you're in a pinch. Its more of a tanking skill but its useable as a healing skill to your allies. Same thing applies to Science Team. you can use them for yourself to heal your ship or someone else's if they need it more.

Weapons.. Ah here's the fun stuff. Yeah disruptors are okay for their debuff. I'd consider picking one weapon type and sticking to it. Having a spread would almost require you to spread your points out across multiple weapon skills and that's bad. So go "all or nothing" with the weapon type you choose and change all of your energy weapons to that type. Also use the proper tactical consoles for that type.

Photons are the baseline projectile of any career. As STOked had said, you can crank more of these puppies out with your tactical skills than any other torpedo. While their damage is low, their DPS can be shot through the roof. Their analysis gave me two options, go photon or go quantum. Photons fly slower and do better in close range while having a pretty fast recharge. Quantums fly hella fast so you can use them from farther away and hit for more damage, but they recharge slower. Picking photons is a good idea right now. Later on you can experiment with your torpedo options to use one you like (Just stay away from transphasics, they're fun but their damage sucks).

Now for ground sorties.. If "kill them first" is your idea of fun, then you can either equip a full tactical squad and use mortars/turrets yourself or use mostly engineers with mortars/turrets. A little skill swapping and special equipping never hurt anyone (that you care about). This way you can deal more damage in larger amounts (until they revamp Ground Combat in Season 4). So enjoy it while you can.
Lt. Commander
# 17
i thank you for the time you put in to tell me all of this

i'm going to get borg bo from c-store soon

with the weapons i'm still unsure of what to use so i'l make an test alt and try diffrent weapon types and stuff because i might do pvp even though i don't do pvp much on many games. right now i like the phasers cos i think they look good with the federation ships and i think partly cos they have the 2.5% chance (correct me here if you want) to shut down a system for 5 sec though STOked said it was around 1-2 sec

plasma i thought about and i won't use them for the simple reason of it will nuke all my points from other important stuff like inceasing skills for torps or ship hull or something

i have the STO wiki page open so i can use that info as well

http://www.stowiki.org/Ship_Weapon

Phaser: 2.5% chance to disable a random subsystem
Disruptor: 2.5% chance to lower the targets damage resistance by 10% for 15 sec
Plasma: 2.5% chance to apply a non-stacking damage-over-time debuff
Polaron: 2.5% chance to reduce all enemy subsystem power levels by 25
Tetryon: 2.5% chance to deal additional shield damage
Antiproton: 2% chance to critical, increased critical severity

looking at this list here:

plasma i won't use cos of the points
anti-proton same because phasers could do more damge based on the special passive skill which in this case is 2.5% chance to disable a subsystem
tetryon as well because when shields are down u might as well be throwing stones at them

in theory the others could be useful how ever i don't count on the passive skills that come with them as i've only ever struck that 2.5% chance with phasers twice when play the steam demo..... in 123 hours i've hit that twice so........ i'm not going to base my weapon choices on the passive skills........in anyone is intrested the subsystem i disabled was engines and that wasn't really helpful it would have been more uselful if shields went down

Polaron: 2.5% chance to reduce all enemy subsystem power levels by 25 this i think could be fun in pvp and i think STOked mentioned this but it's the same chances i'l proberly never hit this.....ever

disruptors and poloron are going to have to be tried before i use them on my main

after watching a vid on the borg set....... i've already watched the agis set vid on youtube

i might go with the borg set when i get to it however i think until then the reman shield will be a good option since it's free

torps are nice they go boom and are rly nice when they go boom on the mobs face i.e your shields are down and now you get to eat 3 of my torps.....enjoy!!!!

using the STO wiki page photons are the better choice than the transphasic since the transphasic is better at mashing the shields but phtons are going to attack the crew to photons it is

Photon: 50% chance -20 Able crew
Quantum:10% chance -10 Alive crew
Plasma: Chance to apply Fire damage to hull for 10 sec
Transphasic: Increased shield penetration
Chroniton: -100% Flight Speed and Turn Rate for 10 sec
Tricobalt: Disables targets for 2 sec

ground combat is a harder topic for me since i tend to always need a medic on standby
the grenade skill for tactical officers is good but i don't know what you guys think
shield regen is also a must for me so that means a engineer is in the party
that kinda leaves the last space for someone but with what skills? Any ideas will be helpful cos i don't know

hope i've made this easier for you
Lt. Commander
# 18
i am learning as i go about asking these questions and offering suggestions

i've looked around the STO wiki and i made a list of ship weapons that i'm going to try. one of which weapon type i'm going to use any combat situations that you have had and used a weapon type that i'm going to list it would be helpful: (and any other i havn't listed would be great)

Any recommedations will be appreciated.

Phaser single array: 176 dps 2.5% Chance: Disable 1 Subsystem
Phaser dual beam array: 208 dps 2.5% Chance: Disable 1 Subsystem
Disruptor single array: 176 dps 2.5% Chance: 10% Damage Resistance Debuff for 15 sec
Disruptor dual beam arrary: 208 dps 2.5% Chance: 10% Damage Resistance Debuff for 15 sec
Polaron Beam Array : 176 dps 2.5% Chance: -25 All Current Power Levels
Dual Polaron Beam Bank : 208 dps 2.5% Chance: -25 All Current Power Levels

it still brings the weapon list down to this though
FORE:
one dual dual beam array (unless if that's not a sensable idea),
single array (what ever type that may be)
Photons x2

AFT:
photons x2
single arrayx2 (what ever weapon type)

Consoles are a help though i think these may be eaiser to deal with

i've look around on the STO wiki site and just chosen my T5 crusier

Advanced Heavy Cruiser Retrofit Excelsior i think it looks sexy but that's just me

Should i use the following consoles. if so why and if not why?

science console slots 2

Biofunction Monitor Alive Crewmen, Crew Recovery Rate x2

engineering console slots: 4

Plasma Distribution Manifold (Weapon Power Setting)
Field Emitter (Shield Power Setting)
EPS Flow Regulator (Power Transfer Rate)
Field Generator (Maximum Shield Capacity)
armour,alloys and plating could come in handy though i know very little about them

tactial console slots 3

Directed Energy Distribution (Beam Weapons)
Phaser Relay (Phaser Weapons) OR Disruptor Induction Coil (Disruptor Weapons) OR Polaron Phase Modulator (Polaron Weapons)
Photon Detonation Assembly (Photon Projectiles)

Bridge OfficerSkills:

Tactial slots 1 (LT. Commander)

LT.Commande skillr: Beam Overload ( hopefully 3 if not 2)
LT skill: Tactial team version 2
Ensign skill: Torpedo High Yeild version 1

Engineering 3 (Ensign, LT, Commander)

Commander

Commander skill: Directed Energy Modulation version 3
LT Commander skill: Emergency Power to Shields version 3
LT Skill: Boarding Party version 1
Ensign skill: Emergency Power to Weapons version 1

LT

LT Skill: Reverse Shield Polarity version 1
Ensign skill: Emergency Power to Auxiliary version 1

Ensign

Emergency Power to Weapons version 1

Science slots 1 (LT)

Hazard Emitters (i found this to be helpful) OR Viral Matrix (looks fun on youtube) OR Energy Siphon (sounds fun)

Devices: i going to assume that somebody is going to tell me to keep a few battieries on hand but i don't tend to use them

the only i would ever use that to be honest is the shields

i found another shield array that looks intesting: Paratrinic Shield Array

Paratrinic Shield Array Mk IV
Rare Ship Shields

7272 Maximum Shield Capacity

(10% Bleedthrough)
75 Shield Regeneration every 6 seconds

Value: 37,350 EC

http://www.stowiki.org/Paratrinic_Shield_Array

engines and deflector i don't know about

Engines = best one?
Deflector = don't know and i did watched the STOked episode but still didn't follow it much
Lt. Commander
# 19
i thought to be honest the the DPS for range on any weapon was the same regardless........ oh wait STOked mentioned about this. i'm sure that the turrets arn't 100% hit as range + your ship movment + mob movement + accuracy traits etc come into play. true when i play i do like to keep my front end firing as much as i can cos that's where i think most of the damge gets dealt from.

how do u set up your targeting options as i've click mob shoot kill move on to the next mob....repeat until all are dead....

as you said when i get the spare EC and the full game installed i'l try it on a alt as Sarah is my main char
Lt. Commander
# 20
I just tab through the nearest enemies. That's all. In some cases (fighters) I have to try to click them but they move fast so I end up using tab again anyway. Which is why I keep FAW (and run a beam boat) around to deal with the fighters (and mines) rather than have to target them individually when they are spawned. Put them out of my misery.