Lt. Commander
# 1 Excelsior advice
06-09-2011, 10:58 AM
I just bought the Excelsior for my tac and eng toons, and I'm wondering if I should go for cannon/turrets, or for beam boat build.

Also, can I get a recommendation for consoles? I haven't found a build yet w/ the console layouts.

Mucho gracias
Lt. Commander
# 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch246
You can put single cannons and turrets on it

But no DHC or DC
Single cannons? Does anyone actually use those?
Lt. Commander
# 3
Lt. Commander
# 4
I use:

3 phaser beam arrays and one quantum torp on each side

Consoles:

Eng: 4x field emitter
Sci: borg console, bio-function monitor
Tac: 3x phaser thingy

Boffs:

Tac: tactical team 1, high yield torpedo 2, beam fire at will 3
Sci: science team 1, hazard emitters 2
Eng: not sure on the top of my head, the commander skill is either extend shields 3 or directed energy modulation 3, depending on the situation

May not be the most powerful setup, but at least i could hold out against 15 vishap frigates in the mine field daily
Lt. Commander
# 5
4 Field Emitters. Are you insane?
Lt. Commander
# 6
I didn't think those worked past 2.
Lt. Commander
# 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashur1
Eng: 4x field emitter
oh dear. you do know you only benefit from 1 of those right? Next time youíre on a space map, gradually remove 1 of those at a time and watch how much your shield level decreases. you will notice only the last one you removed effected your shield level. Sorry you wasted so many emblems bro. even though they are bound, you might be able to mail them to other characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
I just bought the Excelsior for my tac and eng toons, and I'm wondering if I should go for cannon/turrets, or for beam boat build.

Also, can I get a recommendation for consoles? I haven't found a build yet w/ the console layouts.

Mucho gracias
good buy, these are great for dealing damage with a tac captain. Couple of tips for a tac captain, donít get 2 of the same tactical powers, tactical initiative makes 2 of the same redundant. i would also suggest you use APO I in the LTCOM slot, again with tactical initiative you can use it twice as often and when you stack a bunch of damage buffs you can practically do spike and over time damage at the same time.

the cannon builds in the cannoner thread is a solid choice, but if you want to go beams i would suggest maxing your power to 135, and using 6 beam arrays and 2 dual beams or 6 beam arrays and 2 quantoms or heghs, probably heghs because you donít need to use a tac power with them and the skill point investment is small. Even in an excelsior the chance your quantumís will hit hull is still extremely small, at least with heghs you have more of a chance to deal hull damage no mater what.

Cant advise station powers at the moment, Iím in the process of rebuilding all my cruiser because of the great weapons energy overcap nerf.
Lt. Commander
# 8
Excelsior is a great cruiser. Plenty of console options for weapons power and or survivability. I double up on Plasma disribution manifolds, 1 EPS console and a field emitter. And my tac consoles are stacked to my respective weapon choice. I use torps that dont make use of HYT ( tricobalt/ hargh peng etc) So that frees me up for two tack teams and a beam overload three and/or FaW3. It works very well for me in PvP. 6 beams and two torps all fireing at the same time I never see my power levels drop below 100
Lt. Commander
# 9
Welcome to the Excelsior club. On my Engineer I have 4 cannons up front and 3 turrets in the back with a torp or mine.

On my daily setup for STF and PVE I use a pretty aggresive setup. For PVP I do switch it up to be more of a team player.

My STF set up.
4 Cannons+ 3 Turrets+ 1 Mine or Torp

Full Borg Set

Cmd Eng: DEM 3, DEM 2, EPW 2, ENG TEAM 1
LT Eng: AUX 1, EPW 1
Ens Eng: EPS 1
Lt Cmd Tac: RF 2, RF 1, Tac Team 1 (or switch out RF 1 for Scatter Volley to shot gun everything out of the way)
LT Sci: Transfer Shield, Hazard Emitters

DEM 3 + Rapid Fire 2 + EPW2 + TAC TEAM 1 = Gives me a solid punch in PVE and STF's.
Lt. Commander
# 10
Thanks for the tips guys