Lt. Commander
# 1 Modern Warfare 2.5.... err 3
06-09-2011, 12:13 PM
So I saw the Modern Warfare 3 stuff from E3 and I'm pretty disappointed.

It doesn't seem like more than an expansion of MW2, not a new game.

Any thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Its a bit like Fifa. They release the same game every year, just change a few bits so they can charge 40 for it again, and idiots lap it up.

Its just the way the world works.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Mostly that they got anything out at all after the studio gutted it's self is kind of impressive.

MW was a high water mark (single player wise) and it's been a gentle decline from there, it's just a matter of time till the hardcore fans notice.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-09-2011, 12:23 PM
With all the drama and Infinity Labs almost exploding I'm surprised it's actually coming.

As for the 2.5 thing... Yeah, but then I felt the same way with MW2 when we first saw it. Not much new in the early videos to set it apart form MW1, but we didn't see all the new stuff until very close to launch, either, so I doubt they put their whole showing up for E3. Though, even the final result with MW2 could have been a moderately ambitious expansion. That's kind of Activision's thing these days.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-09-2011, 12:30 PM
maybe i watched a different trailer but i thought it looked pretty good.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-09-2011, 12:36 PM
It's just the same thing over and over and over again. They don't even take the time to develop characters. You're introduced to a character and then two missions later said character is dead. Add explosions. Add zombie maps with terrible back-stories. So terrible it insults your intelligence.

They just don't try. They don't need to try. Their fanbase is made of children...literally.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-12-2011, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
With all the drama and Infinity Labs almost exploding I'm surprised it's actually coming.

As for the 2.5 thing... Yeah, but then I felt the same way with MW2 when we first saw it. Not much new in the early videos to set it apart form MW1, but we didn't see all the new stuff until very close to launch, either, so I doubt they put their whole showing up for E3. Though, even the final result with MW2 could have been a moderately ambitious expansion. That's kind of Activision's thing these days.
In comparison , MW2 showed off the mission Cliffhanger at their E3 before release. The graphics, weapons, attachments, HUD, and gameplay mostly seemed new or different to me.

I definitely agree they were close but I definitely thought MW3's trailers looked exactly like MW2 with a couple new guns and a different setting.

Same Red dot sight, same HUD, same graphics, same gameplay.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Its a shooter. its going to be like every other shooter before it. You point the gun and pull the trigger, and you know what? It never gets old.

Things I like about what i seen so far, for one i like the whole modifying the attachment rail on the fly thing like swinging a scope on or off ant any time. and i like that they are moving the story forward, i still care about things like that in shooters.

The graphics are real unpolished but hey, its a demo.

Im still not seeing Civilians in these games. Why? Civilians are always a major part of urban warfare, there needs to be a human side introduced to the damn series.

If anything it has to be better than the major letdown that Homefront was.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFork
Im still not seeing Civilians in these games. Why? Civilians are always a major part of urban warfare, there needs to be a human side introduced to the damn series.
Controversy. Big developers only like manufactured controversy, but not real controversy. MW2 had a handful of civilians running around in the early part of a firefight in a South American slum (you could even shoot them as they fled the combat area, it counted as friendly fire and if you kept it up you could fail the mission), and it became the real controversy underpinning the manufactured controversy of the airport massacre.

Fallout dropped the children, Bioshock opted not to have you actually brain the Little Sisters with your wrench, Thirteen Days in Fallujah gave up even existing... The big publishers love their controlled controversy, but they're usually scared of actually courting real controversy.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-12-2011, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post

Fallout dropped the children, Bioshock opted not to have you actually brain the Little Sisters with your wrench, Thirteen Days in Fallujah gave up even existing... The big publishers love their controlled controversy, but they're usually scared of actually courting real controversy.
unless you are Rockstar and make your game about killing civilians. People seam to only care when soldiers kill civilians, when civilians kill civilians no one cares. Actually, come to think of it, FPS games seem to be the only genre that struggle with putting collateral damage in their gameplay.

MW 2 of course had the airport massacre that you could opt out of, and that generated some controversy for about 15 mins on a CNN news cycle. But nothing topped the first 4 minutes of soldier on civilian brutality, torture and murder that was Homefront's first mission and no body seemed to care. Seriously, look up Homefront Why We Fight on youtube and tell me its not messed up. I'm not even gonna post it here. I'm 98% sure there are European countries that will block it too.