Lt. Commander
# 1 Sci=Uber Ground?
06-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Well, I have had a couple of experiences that have shown me that there really is no need to have any players of a specific type, if you have a team that works together, and communicates. (I've said before, the challenge of the STF's is not individuals' gaming skills, but of the groups teamwork.)

That said, I ran "The Cure" with a 4-man team, all Sci, KDF-side. It was a fun and interesting challenge, but It didn't feel like we were bogged down for lack of DPS. I think we were running 2x Geo kits, 1x medic, and 1x Physician, but don't quote me on that. Every fight started with Gravimetric shift to Root the borg, and thermal vent, to damage them, (also both exposes) I was running a High density Beam rifle, (extra CC) and a Split-beam (multi-target exploits)

As far as the transformers, we used the "No-Aggro" method, and I was quite surprised that as a Sci, I could hold transformer 1 all by myself with a Geophysicist kit.

Last night I went on a KDF KA run, with 4 Sci, and a tac, not sure how they broke out ship-wise, but we had 2x BoP, 2x, Vo'Quv, and a Varanus.

GW 3 is Essential, create a little Borg Ball, and one probe goes boom, it almost takes the rest with it in a single warp-core breach.

the thing that surprised me the most was the DPS 3 Sci's and a tac could lay down on one of those shield generator nodes. One of the other Sci's gave me an analyist kit (Blue mk IX) and told me he had soloed the control room with it, with the anesthetine gas. I barely had time to get to the pillar to extend the transfer before they had already killed it. for the last 4 I just went back to my Geo kit, and we got them down, first time, every time.

If you want to have some serious fun, run a Sci-heavy STF. I certainly had a blast.
Lt. Commander
# 2
I have 4 science boffs in my away team, so I only have to skill science team leader ... I have that cunfiguration with both my tac and my sci captain. The only exception is the engi captain with three engi boffs and one sci boff.
Lt. Commander
# 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErisTheVorta View Post
I have 4 science boffs in my away team, so I only have to skill science team leader ... I have that cunfiguration with both my tac and my sci captain. The only exception is the engi captain with three engi boffs and one sci boff.
Unless they changed it during the 3 months I was gone, science team leader does nothing, zippo, zilch for away teams. Same holds true for the other team leader skills.
Lt. Commander
# 4
Butt it says it's improving the general abilities (firearms damage output, bridge officer skill usage, etc.). Does it not?
Lt. Commander
# 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErisTheVorta View Post
Butt it says it's improving the general abilities (firearms damage output, bridge officer skill usage, etc.). Does it not?
Yup, it certainly does say that. But testing showed otherwise.

Believe it used to, but that aspect got taken away and, of course, the text never got updated. Certainly isn't the only incorrect skill descriptions out there
Lt. Commander
# 6
oh... then i guess i have some skillpoints to respec
Lt. Commander
# 7
The only points I have in ground are the early medical skills, cause I like to play Healer on the ground in STFs.

The other kit I run is Geophysicist -- it's simply amazing and has made ground combat actually fun for me.. I didn't think it was possible!

The amount of exposes it comes with is staggering (each power has an Expose) and all four powers are excellent. I love dropping a Gravimetric Shift on an enemy group and following it up with a Thermal Vent.

My Weapons are the CRF-200 (I think I got that right). The main attack as an Expose (Wow!) and the secondary attack hits hard, is an AOE, and will nearly always expose someone.. usually everyone you hit with it (not to mention both attacks freeze/slow enemies). My secondary is the Romulan Split Beam Disruptor Rifle to take advantage of all the Exposes.

I have no skills spent boosting the powers the kit uses, so it makes me wonder how potent it would be fully specced into. That said, you don't need to spend any skill points on it to get a great amount of mileage from the Geophysicist Kit.. the Exposes are enough.

It's also an amazing kit for STFs, especially if you have a lot of Tactical captains in your group. They will love your Exposes and enemies will die fast.
Lt. Commander
# 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillingMeSoftly
It's (Geopyhsicist kit) also an amazing kit for STFs, especially if you have a lot of Tactical captains in your group. They will love your Exposes and enemies will die fast.
And that goes double for a tac officers running the squad leader kit.

Believe me, with 2 rally crys (Cries?) in the team, you have no need of a medic.
Lt. Commander
# 9
Analyst kit is a phenomenal kit (because of Tachyon Harmonic 3), and Geo is just a fun kit overall.

I have a Sci Captain with a 4 Sci away team ( Med Tricorder 1, Tachyon 2, Grav 3, Tricorder scan 3 x 3; and a medic with Med Tricorder 3 instead of Grav 3), and almost all enemies are constantly exposed. Ground combat goes veeery quickly.
Lt. Commander
# 10
I've always relied on the Medic X kit but I'll have to give Geo a spin when I can.