Lt. Commander
# 111
06-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safh
Anywhere you would put the points instead?

I figured that since overload offlines a beam type, i'd likely run with a couple different beams.
Yeah ,,, what I do is save that for the killing blow. You know those times when the mobs shields are low so one GOOD punch will knock em out ... quickly followed by Quantum Torps. I tend to run Dual Phaser arrays to help more for the heavy punch,

Torp Spread is a nice skill too if you prefer avoiding Beam overload. Fire at Will is fun too !
Lt. Commander
# 112
Rough draft. Any feedback appreciated.

SCIENCE BUILD

Science CMDR
Photonic Shockwave II (Emitter) =/\= Sonic Pulse III
Science Team III (Crew) =/\= Medical Tricorder III
Transfer Shield Strength II (Deflector Field) =/\= Tachyon Harmonic II
Polarize Hull I (Hazard) =/\= Hypospray Masiform-D I

Science LTCO
Tachyon Beam III (Emitter) =/\= Stasis Field II
Photonic Officer I (Emitter) =/\= Gravimetric Shift II
Hazard Emitters I (Hazard) =/\= Medical Tricorder I

Engineering LT
Emergency Power to Shields II (Batteries) =/\= Shield Recharge II
Emergency Power to Auxilary I (Batteries) =/\= Weapons Malfunction I

Engineering ENS
Engineering Team I (Crew) =/\= Mine Barrier I

Tactical LT
Torpedo Spread II (Torpedoes) =/\= Target Optics I
Security Team I (Crew) =/\= Focus Fire I
Lt. Commander
# 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghartan
It's a fair build for sure. Not sure I would have gone with points into two different types of beam weapons. I might of settled on Disrupters or Tetryon but not both.

I'm not big on Tactical Team nor Transfer Sheild Strength. I go with Beam Overload and Polarize Hull myself.

Finally a lot more points in Ground Skills than I would do but that's a playstyle and not a min / max thing.
I agree with choosing one energy weapon type to focus on instead of two, and second the not a fan of Tac Team or Transfer Shield, but I'm a bit confused by your last line... He actually has less points in his ground skills than you do in your build in the next post.

I would definitely replace Transfer Shield Strength with Jam Sensors, and you might even want to take out Science Team I as you'll have shared cooldown overlap between Engi Team I and Sci Team III already. If you really need an extra shield heal for team play you can always pick up Extend Shields.

Instead of running multiple beam types to make up for beam overload you might go with turrets in the aft instead as they act as cannons and aren't affected. That also gives you the option of going with something like High Yield I and Rapid Fire I. Beam overload, fire at will, and torpedo spread are all a bit underpowered at the moment and I have a hard time recommending any of them until they get some balance love.
Lt. Commander
# 114
really great feedback, thanks very much I'll have another look at BO skills.

I worry though, that since I've already changed a couple and lost maybe 900 BO skill points that I wont be able to afford to respec them much more, so not sure if I can afford to lose the rank 1 skils I already have.
Is this a baseless fear or are there very finite points to spend?
Lt. Commander
# 115
Was thinking of running this.. Though im praying for respecs because due to trial and error on this game and the poor tooltip wording, I have a lot of wasted points currently.

Mainly a healer on the ground, and a Heal/Control/Debuff type in Space.
Lt. Commander
# 116
imo from running both set ups i find beam fire at will along with torp high yield more effective than beam overload and torp spread...

Reason is beam overload knocks out ur weps for brief time then lowers dam while it recharges well if ur using it for a killing blow u wasting a whole abil till end of the last mob of the fight? wouldnt torp high yield be more beneficial to use everytime a shield hits the deck?

Also torp spread is a waste also. when would u use it? multipul mobs? well if thts the case all there shields would have to be down at the same time on the side there facing you for that to be beneficial and tbh ive never seen tht happen either yet. and if u use it to take down slow moving torps / mines imo torps are abit overkill compared to summat beam fire at will can do easily enough

unless im missing something about this set up?
Lt. Commander
# 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus-X-1
Rough draft. Any feedback appreciated.

SCIENCE BUILD

Science CMDR
Photonic Shockwave II (Emitter) =/\= Sonic Pulse III
Science Team III (Crew) =/\= Medical Tricorder III
Transfer Shield Strength II (Deflector Field) =/\= Tachyon Harmonic II
Polarize Hull I (Hazard) =/\= Hypospray Masiform-D I

Science LTCO
Tachyon Beam III (Emitter) =/\= Stasis Field II
Photonic Officer I (Emitter) =/\= Gravimetric Shift II
Hazard Emitters I (Hazard) =/\= Medical Tricorder I

Engineering LT
Emergency Power to Shields II (Batteries) =/\= Shield Recharge II
Emergency Power to Auxilary I (Batteries) =/\= Weapons Malfunction I

Engineering ENS
Engineering Team I (Crew) =/\= Mine Barrier I

Tactical LT
Torpedo Spread II (Torpedoes) =/\= Target Optics I
Security Team I (Crew) =/\= Focus Fire I
Ive been seeing that type of signature around, how do you do it?
Lt. Commander
# 118
The level of understanding of the minutia of the rules in this thread is truly dizzying. Could someone post a spec or two that are genereally accepted as good builds to use as a template?
Lt. Commander
# 119
I would love to see some of the more experience players who critique peoples builds and provide advice post a couple of solid builds. Some that cover specific areas and some that are just well rounded.

Lt. Commander
# 120
I never got past Lieutenant during open beta/Headstart so I really dont know anything about the specs, skills or how to deal with bridge officers. I am looking for help on how to salvage my spec and prospective builds for my playstyle.

I am a Joined Trill with Astrophysicist and Warp Theorist. I went Sci/Sci and am LC6. My current build is Here I am flying the Tier2 Science vessel with 2 Sci officers and one promoted to LT. He has Science team and tachyon.

I didnt spend any skill points after I got my Tier2 ship because I read somewhere that due to the skill cap people dont put all 9 points into skills unless it is vital for the build. I have seen a number of build specs on this forum but there is so little justification of why things are chosen I cant really make heads or tails of them. I also have not seen any general Science officer guides that descripe build specs, playstyles, BO management and tactics.

I need help from some veteran Sci/Sci to proceed. My playestyle for ship combat prefers broadside beams or dual rear turrets so that I dont have to care about facing my target. I keep one torp in the front for my tac officer High yield torp skill. I would like my playstyle to generally be to debuff the enemy, heal my team and pitch in on damage. As far as ground combat I dont really have a preference. I like debuff/expose about the same as healing. Right now I am using the AoE heal PBAoE knockback/expose kit and depend on my science officers to do the healing