Lt. Commander
# 361
06-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sresk View Post
Parka
4) OMG I'm an id get! I never though of using target shields + tykens. So here's an idea for you tactical pick up the Boff version of Target subsystem shields. Its quite a bit stronger than the science ship innate version. haven't tried this myself yet but now I want to play with it... it also almost makes me consider picking up a copy of energy siphon (although this was utter crap at mk I) anyone played with siphon II or III to see if it scales the same way tykens does?

And as for other tac skills try playing around with 3 turrets + CRF. I convinced a cruiser buddy of mine to go all turrets with CRF and he loves it. The damage in crease on the turrets is huge. I'm seriously considering going recon now just so I can have CRF + HYT I + BO I

and lol we must be posting at the same time. I've has similar experiences with croniton mines they are almost as good as an extra 1/2 tractor beam (shorter duration but still 100% stop) yet I never see anyone else using them in pvp was wondering why...
Hey Sresk,

Been busy as poop at work, so haven't had time to be here. Looks like lots of good info to be had though. On TR3. I use it with full aux setting (so it sits around 110-113 power). Drops power by 85.

Thought you'd like that tidbit

Have fun with the forums.

Cheese

Edit: I also use target shields when it's up, but usually the 85 will f*** anything regardless. Things like carriers. Stupid carriers. Also it's ~45 energy when power level is at 63, and if you're too lazy to change power levels.
Lt. Commander
# 362
Howdy cheese, sorry we've not gotten a chance to play much in game. I'll be admiral eventually
Lt. Commander
# 363
Do it for the weekend. pew pew daily!

Also, come do this work for me.

Lt. Commander
# 364
Cheeseus, Thank you for your reply and help in tweaking my char. Your time is appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 365
Anyone want to take a crack at this

http://sto-builder.binarybit.ch/inde..._4-47-61-60-@0
Lt. Commander
# 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorac
The sci team takes up slot 3 but can be used in cmdr slot right? So either way it doesn't really matter, I'd assume?
You can?

This was the first thing I noticed in your post. If it is possible to do this can you tell me how. It is a 'trained by you' skill and when you select the BO to train it automatically trains in the Lt'Com slot. I am not aware of this coming on rare or v.rare BO's as a Commander ability.

Also I believe FBP III is a commander ability so That would need to be FBP II (please correct me on this if I'm wrong)

I would suggest you put that Sci team III in place of the FBP and for your Commander abilities take VM and TR and switch around which BO you want in the Com slot according to what you want at the time or even a Scramble III can be very handy to prevent summons (high yield torps, mines, photonics) even on single targets.
Lt. Commander
# 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynn
Anyone want to take a crack at this

http://sto-builder.binarybit.ch/inde..._4-47-61-60-@0
With the new respec and tables giving 25% of the bonuses from the middle tier ships to the final tier ship it is probably not worth looking at that table now. Anyone got any input on how 'worth' the points these mid tier ships are now. (come patch that is)
Lt. Commander
# 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuhart
With the new respec and tables giving 25% of the bonuses from the middle tier ships to the final tier ship it is probably not worth looking at that table now. Anyone got any input on how 'worth' the points these mid tier ships are now. (come patch that is)
The captain skills are arguably overpriced for what they do even if we assume you get full benefit from each.

But let's look at the tier-3 and tier-4 skills. Each, when maxed, provides a +52 bonus. 25% of 52 is 13. So if you spend 2700 points on the tier-3 skill, and 3600 on the tier-4 skill, you're looking at a net bonus of +26 in an admiral ship.

The tier-2 skill provides a maximum of +30 bonus, and costs 1800 points. So basically you're getting the equivalent of a second Science Captain skill for an extra 4500 skill points.

That's not a good buy, on its face.

As it stands, the bonuses to speed, turn rate, and hull hitpoints are so small for these captain skills that I'd question buying even the ones that directly apply to your ship of choice. At 1/4 the value? Not a chance.

I understand why Cryptic made the change, and I approve of it, in principle. It's good that you'll get some credit for skills purchased in previous tiers -- but in this case the product isn't worth the price.
Lt. Commander
# 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obitus View Post
The captain skills are arguably overpriced for what they do even if we assume you get full benefit from each.

But let's look at the tier-3 and tier-4 skills. Each, when maxed, provides a +52 bonus. 25% of 52 is 13. So if you spend 2700 points on the tier-3 skill, and 3600 on the tier-4 skill, you're looking at a net bonus of +26 in an admiral ship.

The tier-2 skill provides a maximum of +30 bonus, and costs 1800 points. So basically you're getting the equivalent of a second Science Captain skill for an extra 4500 skill points.

That's not a good buy, on its face.

As it stands, the bonuses to speed, turn rate, and hull hitpoints are so small for these captain skills that I'd question buying even the ones that directly apply to your ship of choice. At 1/4 the value? Not a chance.

I understand why Cryptic made the change, and I approve of it, in principle. It's good that you'll get some credit for skills purchased in previous tiers -- but in this case the product isn't worth the price.
Yeah, on my 2nd character I completely skipped the mid tier ship points but still put them into the first and last ones as they would help my ship at Admiral. Thing is I never missed them. With respec upon us those skills were obviously going to be skipped during an RA respec or even at on-route respecs. The 25% thing just threw a spanner in the works for me. I think I got about a 12% hull increase when I respecced on tribble and took the points in all tiers. I'll head over there now and take some numbers.
Lt. Commander
# 370
Ok I did a few respecs on Tribble. I ran out of merits but I have 3 different permutations. i have deleted and recopied, hopefully I can fill in the in between specs soon. Edit ..I probably won't bother as I can't be sure of the power settings. If I do though it will be to show hull sizes.

Points in................................................ ............A......B......C

Starship Command........................................... .9......0......9
Science Vessel Captain.....................................9..... 0......9
Research Science Vessel Captain.....................9......0......0
Long Range Science Vessel Captain.................9......0......0
Reconnaissance Science Vessel Captain..........9......0......9

Spec...........Hull...............Hull Repair Rate..........Maximum Speed........Turning Rate
A...............32,358.....................78%.... ........................19.52..................... ...27.1
B...............27,000.....................78%.... ........................16.28..................... ...24.0
C...............31,252.....................70.8%.. .......................18.85...................... ..26.5

All specs were done with no points in any hull repair skills as I notice on live my hull repair is 104%. I included hull repair as there is a difference as you can see in spec C.

All numbers taken out of combat in an explore at full speed (not full impulse) I didn't note the power settings but for comparison it was the same on all and would at a guess be 100,52,28,38

All specs done in a Reconnaissance Science vessel.

I am starting to wonder about that odd hull repair rate as I can't see any reason why, but even though it looks like a typo/misread I am almost certain that there was a difference.

To summaries on Hull size by taking all 9 bars in the first 2 skill columns and the last only (7,200 points) you are increasing your base hull size by 15.75%. By taking all 9 bars in all tiers (13,500 points) you are increasing your base hull size by 19.85%