Lt. Commander
# 31
06-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeyan
Just a heads up before I look over your build HMJB, consoles no longer stack as of the last patch. No more stacking EPS to feed beams.

Edit: Okay, now that I took a quick glance...

I would move those Engine Performance points into Shield Performance instead, seeing as you have no engine abilities and performance is the one power stat that helps even at higher power levels.

Obviously Photonic Theory isn't helping you at all there, but as you said you just picked at random to fill in points. Unless one of the T5 science abilities jumps out at you as something you really want to use, I'd move those skill points into some combination of your T5 ship captain skill and the other performance skills.

Edit2: Well all that still applies to the new build you posted, but one more thing with the new one... You're using Tachyon Beam III and 0 in Deflector Dish?
Does the Guide say Efficienty racial + warp core training + starship engine + engine performance 7 gets the highest bonus if set at 25? I probably read that wrong :x

Anyways I am gonna put this on hold for awhile till I actually hit admiral and experienced all the skills the class got to offer so I can make better judgments regarding the last 2 tiers...but the first 2 tiers is pretty much solid in my eyes I think...

Thanks for the input folks

Edit.....

Quote:
Edit2: Well all that still applies to the new build you posted, but one more thing with the new one... You're using Tachyon Beam III and 0 in Deflector Dish?
well I do have the 2nd and 4th tier maxed for Deflector Dish

Edit again ..........

OMG I see it now, screw it, back to the drawing board! Ill work it out later.
Lt. Commander
# 32
Tachyon Beam uses the Deflector Dish subsystem, which is affected by the general Deflectors stat, but not the T4 Deflector Field stat which is a completely different subsystem.
Lt. Commander
# 33
Hey guys,

Based on you feedback I've altered my build a little.

I'm a little confused as to how efficiency works, but I'll mostly be either running full power to weapons/shields. So what I've done is removed points from weapons and invested more into Auxiliary, and Engines. But if the returns aren't high, I can move them to shields as Kiala suggested to get EPtS III. I've also streamlined my ground traits and moved points from maintenance into weapon maintenance and weapon performance as Taeyan pointed out Nadion inversion is affected by both of those skills.

http://sto-builder.binarybit.ch/inde...07_4-87-61-60-
Lt. Commander
# 34
hey guys

basically im not posting a build im not so far into the game to understand what the later stuff does or works out. So this is more could you recomend 1 to me if u have any free time that is

Current way ive been playing atm is close to full on healing i like to be able to take damage as good as i can making me able to support the fleet for as long as poss with still having the abil to do solo anything i come across PvE. currently only lt-com rank with sci-team 1 sci-team 2 engie team 1 for tanking

my game plan so far has been 3 phaser beam arrays 250 arc keeping my ship sideways to get the full effect of front and back along with beam overload to get there shields down faster and keeping my frontal shield topped ready for the switch i make when there shields down. i then basically blast evasive switch to head on posistion tachyon + torp them down. if there shields regen faster than my front beam can handle ill just switch to sideways appraoch again and rinse and repeat.

this has worked very well for me so far im not sure on torps and energy weps later on so building a spec now is kinda confusing for me hence me here asking. i do know however i will be goin deepspace science ship for my last ship for added engie slot.

with this kinda of game plan what kind of build would u recomend?
thanks in advance
Lt. Commander
# 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeyan
Wow okay, where to start... How about just a list?

Skills you took that don't help your build at all:

Starship Engineering Training
Starship Auxiliary Systems Maintenance
Starship Auxiliary Systems Efficiency (assuming you're running high aux power)
Starship Subsystem Repair
Starship Deflector Dish
Starship Hazard System
Astrometrics

Skills you didn't take that would help:

Engineering Team Leader (to improve Engineering Team)
Science Team Leader (to improve Science Team)
Starship Tractor Beam (to improve Tractor Beam Repulsors)
Starship Emitters (Tractor Beam Repulsors again)

Overlapping abilities:

Emergency Power to Shields I and II
Transfer Shield Strength I and II
Science Team III

You really don't need 5 different shield heals.
Well they are on different timers so you can use multiple shield heals before the used timer is up so I have to disagree on the multiple shield heals. As for ground skills, I don't want any as they are for ground pvp. I don't do it. Now as for tractor beam, I don't use it so why take it? So now what? any other suggestions based on this?

http://sto-builder.binarybit.ch/inde...07_4-87-88-60-

Please add advice based on these facts and throw in some ... NUMBERS
Lt. Commander
# 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugstum
Well they are on different timers so you can use multiple shield heals before the used timer is up so I have to disagree on the multiple shield heals. As for ground skills, I don't want any as they are for ground pvp. I don't do it. Now as for tractor beam, I don't use it so why take it? So now what? any other suggestions based on this?

http://sto-builder.binarybit.ch/inde...07_4-87-88-60-

Please add advice based on these facts and throw in some ... NUMBERS
No, Taeyan is correct. You don't need 5 shield heals. You aren't getting the other skills for ground, you're getting them for Engineering Team and Science Team, which are space abilities.

Don't ask for advice and then blatantly ignore it. If you're convinced you already know what you're doing and won't listen, there's no point in us trying to help you.
Lt. Commander
# 37
well here is my build.

http://sto-builder.binarybit.ch/inde...07_4-27-56-60-

Somethings to note. I thought Starships Sensors affected scramble sensors, but according to this tool I'm not sure if it does. I'm Commander 3 already so some of these choices reflect skill points already spent

Right now I'm running 2 phaser beam arrays and a torp in front with another phaser array and torp in back, though I'm interested in the Dual beams torp in front and turrets in the back build. Does the investment in cannons really pay off with the turrets? How does it compare to running my current weapon loadout having High Yield 1 and 2 on the tactical officer and firing off salvos and HY1 and HY2 back to back? (ie prime the first HY 20 secs before combat)

My power levels are usually set to: 75 weapons, 60 shields, 35 engines, 30 Aux

I know I have invested in some skills that don't directly affect my BOff abilites such as: Aux and Eng efficiency and Eng and Weapon Performance, but I figured moar powah = good. I might also consider dropping all the Performance skills to only rank 7 as going up to rank 9 gives only a slight bonus.

Is Photonic theory worth investing in for Photonic Fleet? It has a what, 15 min cooldown? Would my skill points be better spend elsewhere, say in the weapon performance skill instead?

Currently, everything up to Lt Cmd is accurate to what i have already invested (except for starship cannons) For Cmd, i have 5(?) in Phasers, 1 in Aux efficiency and 4 in Shield Efficiency.

Am I better off with RSP1, or would substituting that for EPtS II be a good choice as well?

Thanks in advance for your input
Lt. Commander
# 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiala View Post
Unlocking it only lets you teach your bridge officers. You need a better kit if you want to use III yourself.

I'm not a big fan of Transfer Shield Strength, especially since you have all 3 shield heal other skills. With your aux that low, your heals won't be that great. Your Extend Shield isn't that hot too. I suppose I'm just confused why you're gonna run a full DPS build but have so many heals.

Spreading your officer abilities along all the science paths is causing you to max all your points there at the detriment of other departments of your ship. If you feel this is how you'd like to play, then please disregard my comments, but being more focused would help your performance.
You seem to know alot about the game.. Do you suggest an all out heal build for team play as a science officer? or a dps/balance build? Ive played healers since EQ 1 came out.. And love the style of a healer from EQ to EQ2 to DDO to WOW to Vanguard.. Healers are what I enjoy.. straight healing, mastering the mechanics of healing.. I am trying depserately to figure out how to accomplish that in this setting.. Star trek has always had a better story than those games mentioned above and its awesome being a part of it.
Lt. Commander
# 39
current build

two fore torps, fore beam/dual beam array
two aft mines, aft beam array
many projectiles so weapon isn't always needed. arrays for target subsystem (turrets can't target sub can it?).

overload for when i do have max weapon. but I am still undecided about the tac skills really. hyt will be in there somewhere tho

engineer I'm pretty meh about and nothing solid. but hey none of my skills choices were influenced by engineer so it doesn't matter

as for the science skills, I rotate them out depending on what I want to do. I run anything from viral, scramble sensors, tractor repulsors, tachyon beam, and photonic shockwave. hazard and science team are pretty much staples. and I plan on testing prett ymuch every other skill while 45 to see how they work out, which is why they're all maxed.
Lt. Commander
# 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvanarix View Post
You seem to know alot about the game.. Do you suggest an all out heal build for team play as a science officer? or a dps/balance build? Ive played healers since EQ 1 came out.. And love the style of a healer from EQ to EQ2 to DDO to WOW to Vanguard.. Healers are what I enjoy.. straight healing, mastering the mechanics of healing.. I am trying depserately to figure out how to accomplish that in this setting.. Star trek has always had a better story than those games mentioned above and its awesome being a part of it.
a week or two kiala posted that she suggests engineer for a healer type. personally I believe a science type makes a good healer if not better. my build I just posted is pretty healer oriented. if you wanted even more healing you can replace the two tier 3s with shield transfer (even though it's regarded as an underpowered skill) just to have even more healing.

when partying I generally rotate hazard/science on the tank to have a constant HoT and dmg resist buffs on him with a side effect of burst shield healing. in emergencies/after battle I do hazard/engineer to heal hull up for the next battle, which puts science on a cooldown. my current build doesn't have extend shields so I can only say you can save it for emergencies (like when you do engineer/hazard, use extend to make up for the shield heal loss)

for the high rank skills, viral or scramble are good choices to mitigate damage. piror for single targets, latter for groups