Lt. Commander
# 71
06-09-2011, 12:36 PM
At the moment at T3 in a BoP I find that running a pure healer (with full power to weapons) has great advantages over a debuffer.

Science Team 2, Eng team 1, Extend Shields 2 (this one at 60 shield power and with the appropriate t2-3 skills maxed can keep a cruiser at full shields even against 3-4 targets), Hazard 1 and Science 1 (for debuff clearing when the other one is on cd) seem to work really well.

I have invested no points in debuffing skills such as jam sensors, scramble, viral, rift, gravity etc as I find them underwhelming compared to keeping targets alive in PvP. Being in a BoP has its advantages though as I can escape if fired upon and Subnucleonic Beam/Science Team can get rid of debuffs or stop Tractors.
Lt. Commander
# 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiala View Post
No, Taeyan is correct. You don't need 5 shield heals. You aren't getting the other skills for ground, you're getting them for Engineering Team and Science Team, which are space abilities.

Don't ask for advice and then blatantly ignore it. If you're convinced you already know what you're doing and won't listen, there's no point in us trying to help you.
Ouch! Decaff comes to mind. Look, I;m here seeking advice. I didn't not realize that Engineering Team and Science Team effect space abilities. Matter of fact I'm not sure what skills affect what most the time. I'm still believe having multiple shield heals is viable as I've used them already. There is a global cool down but it is FAR less than the skill cool down, Therefore it allows you to use them within ( I believe ) 15-30 secs of each other. If I'm not mistaken the skill cool down is 1 min and 30 secs. So Since I've yet to see any hard numbers on why its not effective I'm not convinced. I'd love for you or anyone to show me some numbers on this and prove me wrong.

It would be good for EVERY SCI - OFF. It let us make decisions on facts which is what this thread is for. So I'll check on the sill mentioned above and please blow my numbers up so I can make better choices.

I just looked at http://sto-builder.binarybit.ch/ it states here that the science and engineer skills mentioned affect away team. So I really am confused please help. Thanks.

Ok I just looked a a few posts. I seems some space skills are unlocked from ground skills?!? Is there anyway to figure out what skills are unlocked from what? Where is the info please!!
Lt. Commander
# 73
Here's my build.

I am beginning to get my arms around all of the interdependencies but it wouldn't surprise me if there is still something I just don't get.

http://sto-builder.binarybit.ch/inde...9_4-27-96-106-

Since I haven't been able to use the high level science Boff skills yet CPB III is just a guess at this point. I may also opt for a second Science Team over one of the other skills. Am I allowed to have 2 Science Team III skills or do I need different levels to avoid them stepping on each other with the cooldown?

Captain Lore of the U.S.S. Scimitar
Lt. Commander
# 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjarista
I'm very new to this, and frankly overwhelmed. Can someone provide a general cookie cutter Science spec, and/or a little general advise? Thanks.
This would be very helpful...
Lt. Commander
# 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
Ahh, so nice to see the builds coming in with no SP in the intermediate ships...

thank you skillcap...

Ah, and now the cookie cutter builds are being asked for specifically!

You must appreciate Cryptic's wisdom, young grasshopper, in kneecapping the design of their own game, so that you must scrimp and save from your character's conception to the end of their leveling to put points into skills you hope will be playable and useful.
Question not the skillcap heathen for without it we would become gods and this game would be far too easy and we would all go being the same too, wait a minute......
Lt. Commander
# 76
I would rather the skill descriptions be a bit more forthcoming. I just got the game yesterday, and I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but it seems difficult to figure out which route I should be going with the information given to you in game. Also, it seems odd that with the current system, that you can't really pick up some of the higher tier torpedo, and phaser skills without severely limiting the the amount of skill buffs you might want to pick up. Especially, since I'm under the impression that all the different type of weapons are supposed to be pretty similar in dps.

It just seems like the whole skill system needs a pretty big overhaul. I just can't see myself picking up any ground skills with the current setup, and you seem to get a rather pathetic amount of high end skills.
Lt. Commander
# 77
please use another thread to discuss the implications of the skill cap
Lt. Commander
# 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydraulix View Post
Ugh I just wrote a long explanation of what I was looking for and then accidentally hit the back button on my mouse. Oh well, it was a novel anyway and I'm sure nobody would want to help if I made them read all of that!

So here's what I'm requesting. I'd rather not have to wait for a respec to come into the game to fix my mistakes while I gain experience about the skills so would like some assistance in avoiding some common mistakes as I've already messed up some with my lieutenant skills.

I'm not looking for a "cookie cutter" science build because I don't believe there are too many viable options for that. What I would like is some guidance or a possible build link that falls in line with my current playstyle goals. This is how I imagine playing:

Traits: I messed up my preorder so no Trill bonus for me So I decided to make a Betazoid filled out with Astrophysicist and Warp Theorist. My thinking was decreased threat for end game ground raids and longer exposes which will be my ground focus. Does that seem like a viable trade in lieu of Efficient on an Alien?

Ground: I plan to focus on Exposes. I'll still be able to heal with kits when needed, just want my skill bonuses to go toward expose abilities. I'm leaning toward Researcher for AOE shield damage, but information on debuffs available might change my mind.

Space: Here I actually would like some focus on healing, as this will also help in soloing while I get used to camera control. I've wandered into enemy groups by accident while already engaged, and it'd be nice to have some extra "oops!" abilites to hold me up and/or scramble sensors if that helps take the heat off long enough to take a few adds out.

Mostly, I need help in where to put some engineering points. Here's a link to a possible build based on my limited experience.

Sorry this is so long, but I really appreciate any help.

Well I don;'t think you need Beam Target: Shields II, your science ship already comes with all the Subsystem targeting 1, and don't know if II has enough added benefit to take up your Lt. Tactical slot. I'd say grab another High Yield Torpedo II or maybe Beam Overload II (I haven't tried out Beam Overload on my Sci ship, but my Brother loves it in his Cruiser, you'll need a few EPS engineering consoles to keep up with a cruiser's energy transfer rate though. Personally, I don't invest in ground skills. I don't find that I need it so much on the ground. Jam Sensors I'm not sold on either. It saves you from 1 guy beating on you, I haven't played with it much, but I personally don't think it's all that much of a skill that will pull your butt out of a fire.

I've been thinking of doing the Dual Beam Arrays in front with a torp and the 2 turrets in the back, though I'm thinking of dropping the two turrets and just sticking 2 beam arrays in the back and grabbing Beam Overload I or II in place of HYT I or II. My Forward DPS will drop yeah, but the Beam Overload and regular beam arrays should still give me decent hitting power even on a broadside or behind. I'm probably gonna put off the Doctor vs Scientist things until I know which one allows me to train Science Team III. As I understand right now it's Doctor not Scientist?

So I was thinking something like this:
http://sto-builder.binarybit.ch/inde...07_4-27-56-60-
Lt. Commander
# 79
ok my first go with a spec... basically got the things i liked (dunno how good they are mind) then worked stuff around them.

had a few points left over i used on groun skillz to improve triage (when grouped and healing) and gravetmric shift which i use alot solo since i use officers to heal.

anyway any thoughts or surgestions will be welcomed

http://sto-builder.binarybit.ch/inde...03_4-27-98-60-
Lt. Commander
# 80
One thing to keep in mind regarding Efficiency traits is that it doesn't help as much as you have a higher base value.

For example I run my engines at 25 and have a maxed Warp Core Training and Engine Efficiency at 9 ... it give me a value of 40. But as you see below ... as I move from a base of 25 to 40 then 60 etc., the net return for those points is bleh.

Orig ... Result
25 ....... 40
40 ....... 50
50 ....... 57
60 ....... 64
70 ....... 71

Basically the rule of thumb I use is if you are going to put a power rating (such as engines, weapons, shields or aux) above 50, then efficiency training in that category is poorly spent points IMHO. For example, I keep my base power for Shields at 75, so I won't train Shield Efficiency.