Lt. Commander
Yes, I'm about to suggest that STO implement a feature from WoW. You've been warned. I'm not interested in debating whether or not WoW sucks. I don't enjoy WoW myself, but I have to admit there are some things WoW does very right, and this is one of them. I'm not going to dismiss a good feature simply because it comes from a game that is unpopular in this community.

/disclaimer

I suggest that a feature be added to the trade UI that allows BOffs to be trained by other players without actually trading that BOff to that player. In the trade UI, there would be a "training slot" where a BOff in it can be modified by the other person in the trade without ever actually leaving the possession of its owner.

Here's how it would work. Captain Alex has a tactical BOff that he wants to train in Torpedo: High Yield 3. Captain Beth can train that skill. Alex opens a trade window with Beth. Alex puts his BOff in the "training" slot. While the window is open, Beth is then able to offer training in THY3, and Alex can offer a nice tip of energy credits. When they conclude the trade, Beth trains the BOff, Beth receives Alex's tip, and Alex's BOff never leaves his possession.

Basically, this is how enchanting works in WoW. I have a screenshot of the trade UI in WoW, but I'm not sure if posting it here is allowed.

Players, thoughts? Devs, is it possible?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-22-2011, 05:29 AM
I donīt care about where else such a system might be used.

This feature has been discussed before and I think it would be beneficial to everyone, if we had such an option. It would allow us to have our officers being trained without the risk of theft. And that would allow us to have our unique officers being trained as well.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-22-2011, 07:46 AM
Not to mention I think it would make training a whole lot easier. I always have to keep around an empty BO slot to accept a BO to train. Oh and this would help with the bound BOs like the Borg Officer.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-22-2011, 01:35 PM
I would rather have it so you can create a tradable datapad like item that you can give or mail to others.
This would allow people to sell these datapads in the same way that bridge officers are traded now.
Like a scroll in other games.
This would prevent people from stealing rare officers from others and allow you to train the untradeable officers in the captain only powers without having to rebuild the UI.
It could even be used as a money sink by having to purchase these datapads for credits from an npc.
It seems logical to me that your officers would be able to learn new abilities from a computer/holoprogram and not just from a new recruit or a transfer to another command/crew.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-22-2011, 05:34 PM
I think the simplest solution would be going the craftable route. You can even call them training manuals. The best part is that if its an item,certain skills that can only be obtained through new Boffs now can have training manuals for them added as rare drops, similar to the xp boosts now. This would give people a way to get skills like BO III without having to level an alt or scour the exchange.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-23-2011, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow_Splat
I think the simplest solution would be going the craftable route. You can even call them training manuals. The best part is that if its an item,certain skills that can only be obtained through new Boffs now can have training manuals for them added as rare drops, similar to the xp boosts now. This would give people a way to get skills like BO III without having to level an alt or scour the exchange.
I like that idea, very much.

Another possibility would be to give us a acount wide bank slot for Bridge Officers, so they can be trained and used by any other character on that account.

Live long and prosper.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-23-2011, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow_Splat
I like this idea. A lot. It seems to solve some tricky issues we currently have.

The only point at which this gets complicated is how to make it so that a Captain can only craft the 'training manual' if he or she has the requisite career and the requisite skill at rank 9.

Don't want Science captains churning out Tactical Manuals, now do we?
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Yes that could be a problem bluegeek. But if they can code it to where the option to train skills to your current boffs doesn't show up until you put 9 points in the appropriate skill then I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to implement a similar method with craftables.

We would just need a new tab in the crafting ui for training manuals and when u have 9 points in the right skill it shows a new craftable item in the tab and if u don't then nothing appears or they're grayed out.