Lt. Commander
# 1 BoP Weapons Loadout
06-09-2011, 10:16 AM
I am new to the Klingon side of the house and have started down the path of the BoP pilot. However, I was hoping to get some input from more experienced BoP captains and opinions on weapons loadouts. I currently am LTCR9 but will shortly be trading up my ship once I reach CMDR. Presently, I use a 2x disruptor DHC loadout with 1x quantum torp in the fore and a diruptor turret in the aft. I have been debating on a combination of DHC & DBB once I trade up. My only hesitation is that it would require the additional expenditure of SP on beam arrays as well as cannon weapons and I am not sure if it is really worth the extra cost. Constructive input is greatly appreciated as well as personal experience utilizing multiple loadouts and techniques. Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 2
I often use 2 DHC's, 1 DBB and a Torpedo up front with 2 turrets in the rear.
> DBB + BOL 3 is an awesome way to crush a shield against most targets
> the 360 degree Turrets in the rear add to forward Burst output under the effect of CRF.
Lt. Commander
# 3
So as long as I keep the weapon type proficiency cost low (i.e. no plasma, AP, transphasic type styles that cost alot), then investing in both cannon and beam weapons is a worthwhile venture; is that the general assessment?
Lt. Commander
# 4
If you ever have an extra BOL3 BOF you want to trade away let me know.
Lt. Commander
# 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverpimpin View Post
So as long as I keep the weapon type proficiency cost low (i.e. no plasma, AP, transphasic type styles that cost alot), then investing in both cannon and beam weapons is a worthwhile venture; is that the general assessment?
So long as you also stick to one damage type (phaser / disruptor etc) so all weapons benefit from the same console, then yes I think it makes sense. I've recently switched out the quantum torp on my BoP for a DBB and am happy that it works for me. If I recall correctly, the saving in XP cost from not having quantums balances out having to spec both beams and cannons.
Lt. Commander
# 6
I speced (max) beams,cannons and Qaunts and still had points to spare. It depends on your vessel and what you intend to do with it. DO not fall into the trap of trying to do everything equally well.
Lt. Commander
# 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsBody
So long as you also stick to one damage type (phaser / disruptor etc) so all weapons benefit from the same console, then yes I think it makes sense. I've recently switched out the quantum torp on my BoP for a DBB and am happy that it works for me. If I recall correctly, the saving in XP cost from not having quantums balances out having to spec both beams and cannons.
Awesome. I hadn't thought about just not having torpedos, but I can definitely see how not having to pour points into torp skills would balance out SP for maxing effectiveness with energy weapons, cannon, and beams. That means I can also save SP from the projectiles skill which can be poured into other more useful skills as well. Thanks for the suggestion. I might run that for a bit and see how that works.
Lt. Commander
# 8
At the lower levels up untill Brigadier General i believe the Raptor is a more efficient choice over the BOP.
The BOP is great at end level.Perhaps the most versatile ship in STO.
I would advise you NOT to use any Cannons at the low level you are.Cannons need well specced cannon skills (Cannon Rapid Fire/Cannon Scatter Volley) ,most likely 2 versions for rotation.Imo beams in the form of fore Dual beam banks (Phasers or Disruptors-do not even think of any other energy level at this point)
will serve you the best.At Commander level you can start building up on a quite powerful Beam Overload ,u may want to use a weapon battery afterwards to compensate for the drain.
Personaly i m no fan of Torps of any kind ( with perhaps the exeption of tricobalts at General level) mainly because their effectivness is too much a matter of constant precise timing and luck.Their main advantage just as mines lies in the fact that they do not drain energy power,but that is more an issue for ships that run relatively low on weapon power.Beam Fire at will ,even at low level and even after the nerf might serve u well against spam like mines and in on one on ones.
Lt. Commander
# 9
I am now currently CMDR3 and have tried running 2x disruptor DHC's with a disruptor DBB in the fore and two disruptor turrets in the aft after the advice that everyone has provided. Having maxed out disruptor weaons as well as beams and cannnon skills, I am so far pleasantly surprised with the result. Combining CRF with EPtW, AP-A and AP-O I have found that I quickly deplete an enemy's facing shield and my cannon fire punches right to their hull.

I find that my power levels stay pretty high in actuality, mostly due to the bonuses that are provided by items and because I run with the attack mode power levels when engaging. I do keep a handy supply of weapon batteries on hand in case I need to switch power modes or if the battle draws out.

The trick of course is maintaining the upper hand in getting around and staying within gun shot of the chosen shield so that I do not have to continue to deplete shields. I am going to add Beam Overload to my skill set and replace THY. Thanks everybody for the input. Please feel free to continue to contribute as I am always looking for new and different ideas on loadouts that people have tested and found successful.
Lt. Commander
# 10
so you wanna know something about Loadout and different ideas of BOFF-abilities?

BoP Guide STO forum