Ensign
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 15
# 401
02-28-2013, 12:52 PM
I approve of this thread under the condition that the Typhoon class battleship should be made playable aswell.

I think both of these ships have a flair of their own given that they fill
niche roles within Starfleet as "pure battleships" and as such
sport a much more utalitarian appearance than most other Starfleet spacecraft
which is a welcome alternation in my oppinion.

Also I don't really think these ships should be carriers.
I think they should be exactly what it says on the tin: Battleships!

Afterall we shouldn't forget that space combat is a lot different from
modernday naval combat which stems from the fact that distances over
which battles are fought are greater than they are on the sea and
that frickin' laser beams actually travel the speed of light making
evasive maneuvers a pure game of luck.
Not mention that the lasers might spread over distance increasing
the "effective kill zone" for lesser shielded vessels like fighters.

That's not an environment where fighters can show their strengths,
as they would've a smaller range than that of a dedicated Battleship
and would therefore never get a chance to land the first hit while
the fighters themselves stand no chance against the Battleships
opening salvo.

So the only way to effectively deploy fighters in such an environment
is to deploy them in a Human wave attack which however wouldn't really fit
Starfleet's defensive doctrines
and is something you'd expect the Klingons to pull off
(now guess who got the carriers first XD).

In that regard Battleships may actually serve a purpose in STO's gameplay
as an ultraheavy cruiser.
A spacecraft with the offensive power of an escort and the sturdiness of a
cruiser by sacrificing science abilities and maneuverability, perhabs in
exchange for a high weapons and shield modifier and
reduced energy drain for beam weapons?
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=88572087000&dateline=  1361926017
=/\==/\==/\==/\==/\==/\==/\= =/\==/\==/\==/\==/\==/\=
Don't bite the bullet! Say NO to ARC!
=/\==/\==/\==/\==/\==/\==/\= =/\==/\==/\==/\==/\==/\=

Last edited by phoenix234567; 02-28-2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: faulty grammar
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,727
# 402
02-28-2013, 01:11 PM
The funny thing about people calling the Jupiter and Typhoon ugly, will happily play with a Galaxy, this is the most awful ship ever to grace Star Trek, with the exception of the Frankenstein fleet from DS9.

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,240
# 403
02-28-2013, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artan42 View Post
The funny thing about people calling the Jupiter and Typhoon ugly, will happily play with a Galaxy, this is the most awful ship ever to grace Star Trek, with the exception of the Frankenstein fleet from DS9.
Galaxy X isnt that bad... the hidious ship of the game is the vesta.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 147
# 404
03-01-2013, 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix234567 View Post
I approve of this thread under the condition that the Typhoon class battleship should be made playable aswell.

I think both of these ships have a flair of their own given that they fill
niche roles within Starfleet as "pure battleships" and as such
sport a much more utalitarian appearance than most other Starfleet spacecraft
which is a welcome alternation in my oppinion.

Also I don't really think these ships should be carriers.
I think they should be exactly what it says on the tin: Battleships!

Afterall we shouldn't forget that space combat is a lot different from
modernday naval combat which stems from the fact that distances over
which battles are fought are greater than they are on the sea and
that frickin' laser beams actually travel the speed of light making
evasive maneuvers a pure game of luck.
Not mention that the lasers might spread over distance increasing
the "effective kill zone" for lesser shielded vessels like fighters.

That's not an environment where fighters can show their strengths,
as they would've a smaller range than that of a dedicated Battleship
and would therefore never get a chance to land the first hit while
the fighters themselves stand no chance against the Battleships
opening salvo.

So the only way to effectively deploy fighters in such an environment
is to deploy them in a Human wave attack which however wouldn't really fit
Starfleet's defensive doctrines
and is something you'd expect the Klingons to pull off
(now guess who got the carriers first XD).

In that regard Battleships may actually serve a purpose in STO's gameplay
as an ultraheavy cruiser.
A spacecraft with the offensive power of an escort and the sturdiness of a
cruiser by sacrificing science abilities and maneuverability, perhabs in
exchange for a high weapons and shield modifier and
reduced energy drain for beam weapons?
So Much agreement with this post!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Founder and Current XO of Gamma Strike Force
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 221
# 405
03-07-2013, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
After all of the clamoring for the Ambassador this thread no longer surprises me. To be honest, I would rather see the Typhoon class made playable. The Jupiter is without a doubt the ugliest ship in the entire game, it looks like a cumbersome sloppy kitbash, pieces just thrown together with little detail and no though at all to esthetics. If they ever do make it playable I hope its just a minor addition included along with new designs and not passed off as some special class of ship, If that thing fell out of a drop box or wound up in the C-store my faith in the game will have been lost as that will be taking a gigantic step backwards.
Why does no one understand that we ALL AGREE IT NEEDS WORK!

None of the Jupiter supporters (or the Typhoon for that matter) would accept either ship as is. They both need a bit of a face lift.

The best argument anyone ever comes up with against the Jupiter or the Typhoon is that they are ugly... Seriously? You think we don't know they need work? You think we want them as is? You think there'd be a chance in hell that the Devs would put them in as is? No, no they wouldn't.

If they become playable, they will look nicer and it'd be another ship for people to fly around. What's the big deal with that? Does it so offend your sight that it would ruin the game for you to see it in a fleet action? Well let me tell you something... That's subject to your own opinion. I think the Galaxy/Ambassador/all the other 2,765 variants of it are bum ugly. But you didn't see me on the ambassador thread saying it was ugly so it doesn't deserver to be included.

If you have an actual reason for not wanting the Jupiter, say it. Otherwise, with all due respect, take a hike.
-Quiiliitiila
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91856067000&dateline=  1340218559
Vote YES to the Jupiter Class Dreadnought!
Don't know what it is? Visit my forum HERE
And now check out the new Jupiter Class Dreadnought forum HERE
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 59
# 406
03-09-2013, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archived Post View Post
you know, i wouldnt mind these in game. think of how fun it would be to blow them up!
Only 3/3 weapons slots on the fore and aft sections for a ship that massive would be suicide. It's a drednought, not a bloddy freighter. If the devs are smart, they'll rethink the layout before getting these monsters a run on player setups
Vice Admiral Thylek Shran- U.S.S. Omega (Odyssey Class Battleship) United Federation Space Command
Vice Admiral T'vix RRW Talon (Scimitar Drednought)
General S'tal IKS Q'vat (Bortasq' Battle Cruiser)
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,568
# 407
03-09-2013, 07:12 PM
should have a +30% range modifier not a +30% hull modifier

consoles 4/2/4
5 universal stations configured in 3/3/3/2/1
If you like the RPG trinity, then you hate MMOs, you hate working, competitive fair PvP, you hate balanced engaging solo content,
and,
you hate PvE "adventure zones". because the trinity is incompatible with any of these.

Last edited by skollulfr; 03-09-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,715
# 408
03-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Every time somebody bumps this thread I shake my head in utter astonishment, these ships were never meant to be flown, they're meant to be blown up, they are cheap simple disposable scenery. These designs don't need "a little work" they need to be scrapped and reworked from scratch and I will not be alone in thinking that the quality of goods in this game has fallen dramatically if designs as bad as the Jupiter are ever considered good enough to offer to customers. It's my opinion and I should take a hike if I don't like it? Well that's true enough but it is just as important that members of the community stress the importance of wanting quality in the products being offered them than to sit back and say nothing when any ugly incomplete peace of crap is ushered into the game uncontested.
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,568
# 409
03-09-2013, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
Every time somebody bumps this thread I shake my head in utter astonishment, these ships were never meant to be flown, they're meant to be blown up, they are cheap simple disposable scenery. These designs don't need "a little work" they need to be scrapped and reworked from scratch and I will not be alone in thinking that the quality of goods in this game has fallen dramatically if designs as bad as the Jupiter are ever considered good enough to offer to customers.
not wrong there.
they do look as if they where drawn with pencils made of wood & charcoal from the ugly tree.
If you like the RPG trinity, then you hate MMOs, you hate working, competitive fair PvP, you hate balanced engaging solo content,
and,
you hate PvE "adventure zones". because the trinity is incompatible with any of these.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,137
# 410
03-09-2013, 08:06 PM
I do have to question the validity of this vessel as a playable T5 starship. Sure, it's been seen to be on-par or better with the biggest, baddest cruisers in Starfleet's NPC ships, but is it really a marketable product?

Besides, the ship really breaks the traditional looks of Starfleet "saucer-engineering hull-nacelles" configuration. Although stats may be enough to win over certain captains, I would stay away from buying this ship. To be honest, I would get sick of the look after a week of playing.

stardestroyer001, VA Explorers Fury | Email me for a Pro-Galaxy sig!
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More! | My Forum Gripes
Foundry: A new series coming soon! | PvP: PvP Boot Camp, Notebook Project Almost Done!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:32 AM.