# 41
07-18-2011, 09:45 AM
No, it's a Cryptic ship.
Lt. Commander
# 42
07-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94P
Gravity Well I is Lt. Cmdr. But I will continue to voice opposition to such a high science station for a ship meant for combat.
I see a Dreadnought, especially the Jupiter, as a ship meant to hold it's own against a plethora of enemies. A dreadnought should not only have loads of health, but also it should have enough firepower to pack a punch as well. This does not always (again in my opinion) reflect large amounts of tactical skills, but rather a broad spectrum of abilities to keep the ship alive, rout opponents and allow for other special abilities to help it out.

Yup,
Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 43
07-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiiliitiila
I see a Dreadnought, especially the Jupiter, as a ship meant to hold it's own against a plethora of enemies. A dreadnought should not only have loads of health, but also it should have enough firepower to pack a punch as well. This does not always (again in my opinion) reflect large amounts of tactical skills, but rather a broad spectrum of abilities to keep the ship alive, rout opponents and allow for other special abilities to help it out.

Yup,
Quiiliitiila
Perhaps but a Dreadnought is also a vessel who's firepower outshines that of a battleship. By their specifications the Galaxy and Sovereign can be considered Battleships in canon and to have a real Dreadnought she must have greater firepower than either of those 2 classes.

Edit for spelling.
Lt. Commander
# 44
07-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94P
Perhaps but a Dreadnought is also a vessel who's firepower outshines that of a battleship. By their specifications the Galaxy and Sovereign can be considered Battleships in canon and to have a real Dreadnought she must have greater firepower than either of those 2 classes.

Edit for spelling.
How then do you think the Jupiter could be considered a Dreadnought? What could be done to make it fit your aforementioned profile?

Also, would you consider the Galaxy X to be a dreadnought as it is so called? In my opinion it's spinal lance is barely a cut above the average and not enough to allow for a Dreadnought title... Also, the Galaxy X does not have enough health or crew to be a dreadnought...

Thoughts?

Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 45
07-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Quote:
How then do you think the Jupiter could be considered a Dreadnought? What could be done to make it fit your aforementioned profile?

Also, would you consider the Galaxy X to be a dreadnought as it is so called? In my opinion it's spinal lance is barely a cut above the average and not enough to allow for a Dreadnought title... Also, the Galaxy X does not have enough health or crew to be a dreadnought...

Thoughts?

Quiiliitiila
Compared to a Battleship a Dreadnought should be much larger and hold greater firepower. She's a ship designed for combat. Designed to withstand punishment as well as return the favor. A ship that demands respect from her enemies while burning fear into their hearts. Something that would take an entire fleet, or perhaps another Dreadnought, to destroy. This is what I consider to be a Dreadnought. No ship in this game can be a real Dreadnought without throwing things out of whack.

If you really want me to come up with something to fit that then here we go:

6/6 Fore and Aft weapons

Shield (with basic covariant mk XII): 22000

Hull (Base): 65000

Consoles: 4 Engineering, 1 Science, 4 Tactical

Base Turn Rate: 5 degrees per second

Inertia: 15

Impulse modifier: 10

Bridge Officer stations: 1 Cmdr. Tac, 2 Lt. Cmdr. Tacs, 2 Lt. Cmdr. Eng, 1 Lt. Eng, 1 Lt. Sci
Lt. Commander
# 46
07-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94P
Compared to a Battleship a Dreadnought should be much larger and hold greater firepower. She's a ship designed for combat. Designed to withstand punishment as well as return the favor. A ship that demands respect from her enemies while burning fear into their hearts. Something that would take an entire fleet, or perhaps another Dreadnought, to destroy. This is what I consider to be a Dreadnought. No ship in this game can be a real Dreadnought without throwing things out of whack.

If you really want me to come up with something to fit that then here we go:

6/6 Fore and Aft weapons

Shield (with basic covariant mk XII): 22000

Hull (Base): 65000

Consoles: 4 Engineering, 1 Science, 4 Tactical

Base Turn Rate: 5 degrees per second

Inertia: 15

Impulse modifier: 10

Bridge Officer stations: 1 Cmdr. Tac, 2 Lt. Cmdr. Tacs, 2 Lt. Cmdr. Eng, 1 Lt. Eng, 1 Lt. Sci
It's a good build, but you're right... Any proper Dreadnought build would be completely overpowered for player use... How then do you think this problem could be averted while still retaining a semblance of dreadnought-ality? Can there be a player dreadnought?

-Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 47
07-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Quote:
It's a good build, but you're right... Any proper Dreadnought build would be completely overpowered for player use... How then do you think this problem could be averted while still retaining a semblance of dreadnought-ality? Can there be a player dreadnought?

-Quiiliitiila
There could be a player Dreadnought if some ideas were pulled from EVE. It would take an entire fleet to "build" it and there can only be one per fleet. That's probably the only way we could have a proper Dreadnought. Also I think the fleet would have to have the maximum number of members to be able to build it. So that one no one can start up their own personal fleet to build one unless the felt like shelling out the money to be able to have 300 of their own characters.

Edit for wording.
Lt. Commander
# 48
07-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94P
There could be a player Dreadnought if some ideas were pulled from EVE. It would take an entire fleet to "build" it and there can only be one per fleet. That's probably the only way we could have a proper Dreadnought. Also I think the fleet would have to have the maximum number of members to be able to build it. So that one no one can start up their own personal fleet to build one unless the felt like shelling out the money to be able to have 300 of their own characters.

Edit for wording.
Forgive my ignorance of EVE, I don't quite follow how that works... So a maxed fleet would be able to make a Dreadnought for one player to use? It seems like a sound idea, but also an unfair one. Assuming that a fleet is maxed out, only one player gets the ship... That allows only for a privileged few to be able to fly it and makes it unfair and possibly unreachable for others.

Instead is there a way to make the Jupiter a dreadnought that can be played by everyone? I suppose that in STO there will never be a true "Dreadnought" but we can make a semblance of one.

Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 49
07-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Forgive my ignorance of EVE, I don't quite follow how that works... So a maxed fleet would be able to make a Dreadnought for one player to use? It seems like a sound idea, but also an unfair one. Assuming that a fleet is maxed out, only one player gets the ship... That allows only for a privileged few to be able to fly it and makes it unfair and possibly unreachable for others.

Instead is there a way to make the Jupiter a dreadnought that can be played by everyone? I suppose that in STO there will never be a true "Dreadnought" but we can make a semblance of one.

Quiiliitiila
Agreed. What could be done then is make 3 versions of your proposal. One Tac heavy, one Eng heavy, and one Sci heavy.

Edit: About EVE. the Titans are the powerhouses of the fleets. It takes a Corp about a year to even get one. And because you have the consequence of losing your ship and all it's gear when it blows up it only goes to the most trusted and most veteran pilot of the Corp.
Lt. Commander
# 50
07-18-2011, 04:26 PM
I absolutely love the jupiter. First time I saw it I was like "My god, thats the most ugly mutated flying fish-ship thing I have ever seen!"

And then I started to realize it was so ugly that it was beautiful. Now I think its the most awesome looking ship in the game.