# 81
09-02-2011, 08:16 AM
I would buy it
Lt. Commander
# 82
09-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munrock
I say use it to put something new in the game. Make it a multiplayer vessel, with its strength scaling according to the number of players on board so that it's equivalent to the same number of Tier 5s.

Leave the details like how players dock and control the ship to Cryptic. Making it work is their job.

Just as long as they don't bring out an even bigger ship that makes the previous tier redundant, yeah? I don't want to be forced out of yet another tier of ships to stay effective. Maybe even let certain lower tier ships dock with it, so that they can have a use again as a strategic option for Jupiter teams.

If just we get MOAR weapon slots and boff slots and bigger numbers, I'll be counting the days 'til the other Star xxxx game.
Interesting idea, but I don't see how it could be done. Which player would pilot it? What would the others do? It may be simpler to allow it as a single player ship.

-Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 83 Short Term Fix
09-02-2011, 12:32 PM
How about his for the short term.

They could create a secondary skin for the Galaxy X that would be the Jupiter.

And they could add a skin for the Assault Cruiser that would be the Typhoon.

Then later they could offer up "refits".
Lt. Commander
# 84
09-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola_Tesla
How about his for the short term.

They could create a secondary skin for the Galaxy X that would be the Jupiter.

And they could add a skin for the Assault Cruiser that would be the Typhoon.
Then later they could offer up "refits".
good enough for me.
Lt. Commander
# 85
09-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezdedjim
Now just slap a Carnival Cruise Lines logo on the side, and you got yourself a winner.
This, exactly.

The Jupiter looks nothing like a traditional Federation ship.

I realize we've got some non-traditional designs out there... but even the Star Cruisers fit the mold of identifiable saucer, secondary hull and pair of nacelles.

The Jupiter reminds me of some cross between the Planet Express Ship and a Star Destroyer.

I'm really not liking the idea of fleet command "superships" at all. There's absolutely no canonical support for it and if that's the road STO goes down we might as well be playing in that other popular sci-fi universe where a battle is a couple of massive mile-long ships parked and throwing fighters at eachother.

That's not what Trek space combat is.
Lt. Commander
# 86
09-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiiliitiila
Interesting idea, but I don't see how it could be done. Which player would pilot it? What would the others do? It may be simpler to allow it as a single player ship.

-Quiiliitiila
Quote:
Leave the details like how players dock and control the ship to Cryptic. Making it work is their job.
You don't have to see how it could be done. Cryptic can do more than just make more ships with slightly different stats. If the players let them get away with another Tier or another Tier.5, then that's what the players deserve and I doubt I'll continue being one.

They have people who are paid to innovate and enhance the software. Make them work.
Lt. Commander
# 87
09-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Quote:
You don't have to see how it could be done. Cryptic can do more than just make more ships with slightly different stats. If the players let them get away with another Tier or another Tier.5, then that's what the players deserve and I doubt I'll continue being one.

They have people who are paid to innovate and enhance the software. Make them work.
I understand everything that you've said, and I'm not sure I would want a new tier, it would certainly make a lot of players mad. However, what I said was I didn't understand your idea of multiplayer ships. I couldn't even begin to fathom how to make one without fundamentally changing the mechanics of the game.

-Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 88
09-04-2011, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Hey Guys,

I tried hard to find a way to move the old thread here, but apparently there is nothing I can to to get the old info back (which sucks). So I'm starting the thread again, and hopefully it'll spark new discussion.

For those of you who don't know the Jupiter Class Dreadnought is a ship that is currently unplayable. It is one of the Federations Dreadnoughts and was actually in the game far before the Galaxy X Dreadnought.

Here are some images if you are not familiar with the ship:

http://www.stowiki.org/images/archiv...S._Victory.png

http://images.arianchen.de/sto/jupiter-class.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...2-03-50-25.jpg

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/1...readnought.jpg

After a LONG and arduous road; and the combined work of myself and a few other dedicated Jupiter fans, we were able to gain a response in Junes "Ask Cryptic" saying that the Jupiter and the Typhoon (another ship) were possibly going to be made playable around season 5.

Also during our time in limbo (when we knew not whether we would ever be able to play it) myself and a plethora of others came up with a possible ship build. This is the most popular one and by no means is representative of ALL the participants, nor is it my sole work; a group of us came up with it after much debating.

JUPITER CLASS DREADNOUGHT:
Tier 5 Cruiser (Rear Admiral Lower Half and up)

Jupiter Class Dreadnought:

The Jupiter Class Dreadnought is one of the largest ships from Federation design. It doesn't utilize the standard saucer sectionĖmain hull design that is common among Federation vessels and instead has a main hull with dual connecting pylons at the aft section on the top and bottom of the ship, which lead to the nacelles. The Jupiter is meant primarily for combat missions where brute force is needed but enough ships cannot be mustered to tend to the issue. The Jupiter Class Dreadnought has two small hanger bays to house support vessels to aid it in combat, because of this the Jupiter can launch small Peregrine fighters, as well as small shuttles to fix up damage that it may sustain or itís allies. It has tremendous hull strength and crew compliment and if necessary can be self sufficient for extended periods of time. Unfortunately due to itís size the Jupiter has a very poor turning rate and is typically slower than other vessels. To make up for the lack of maneuverability, the Jupiter has an automated point defense system of turrets on it's port and starboard sides. Those along with it's normal weapons truly allow the Jupiter to live up to it's title as "Dreadnought".

WEAPONRY:
Fore Weapon Slots: 3
Aft Weapon Slots: 3
Point Defense Turret (port): 2
Point Defense Turret (starboard): 2
May not equip cannons

BRIDGE OFFICER STATIONS:
Tactical: Lieutenant (1)
Engineering: Ensign (1), Lieutenant (1), Commander (1)
Science: Lieutenant Commander (1)

MODIFICATION SLOTS:
Tactical: 3
Engineering: 4
Science: 2

CREW SIZE:

IMPULSE SPEED:

TURNING RATE:

ABILITIES;
Launch Support Wing:
-Summons a wing of 6 leveled Peregrine fighters to aid the Jupiter in combat.
OR
-Summons a wing of 3 leveled Repair shuttles to fix the Jupiter or itís allies
This ability is usable once every 2 minutes and you may only have one wing launched at a time.

+5 Power to all Subsystems

+30% Hull Strength

Point Defense System:
The Jupiter Class Dreadnought, (in order to make up for itís lack of mobility) has four automated turrets mounted on itís sides (two on each). These turrets fire independently from the main weapon system and do not need to be controlled by the ships crew. The turrets are used mainly as a defensive measure and do not inflict serious harm to larger vessels, they do however protect the Jupiter from large torpedoes and smaller more agile craft.

Emergency Maneuvering Thrusters:
The Jupiter, (when necessary) can allocate power to their emergency maneuvering thrusters in order to come about more quickly. This power may be used once every 2 minutes and it increases the Jupiterís turn rate by 3 to a total of 6 for 20 seconds. This ability puts a large drain on the auxiliary power levels and it takes some time for the power to be restored. NOTE: This power does not increase the Jupiterís speed, just the turning rate.

Well that's it for now, any questions or comments?

Quiiliitiila
Well,
I would agree about the turning rate, but other then that, sounds like an interesting ship. With that BO layout, it would be impossible to kill, at least one on one. With that Lt. Cmd. Sci slot, you could use HE 3, ST 3, or TSS 3. I would be interested in flying it.
Lt. Commander
# 89
09-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamRadio18
Well,
I would agree about the turning rate, but other then that, sounds like an interesting ship. With that BO layout, it would be impossible to kill, at least one on one. With that Lt. Cmd. Sci slot, you could use HE 3, ST 3, or TSS 3. I would be interested in flying it.
What would you suggest to make it more balanced?

-Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 90
09-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Quote:
What would you suggest to make it more balanced?

-Quiiliitiila
Well, I am not sure. It would be similar to the Star Cruiser because with the right setup, you can't kill it one on one. Except I think you could tank with this even more. Although the turning rate would be even worse then the Star Cruiser. I would agree with an earlier post, and maybe doing 3 engineering, 3 tactical, and 3 science console slots would be good. I don't like having just 2 tactical because then you won't do enough DPS to even dent their shields.

Since it only has 6 weapon slots, instead of 8, and the automated defense turrets don't do any real damage, you aren't going to be putting out much DPS. Instead, you will be able to tank like crazy, and keep others alive. I would increase the turning rate on it. Make it the same as the big Klingon Carrier. Other than that, is sounds like a fine ship. Like I said, you won't be able to kill anything, but nothing will be able to kill you either. You will just be a huge healer. Even more than the Star Cruiser possibly.