Lt. Commander
# 11
06-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlo
Yep, and still sending back ground-breaking data. It's one hell of a first leg to their journey too, 30 years all the way to the edge of the solar system. I wonder how far they'll go.
Well, one makes it all the way to Klingon space, we know that.

Definitely cool stuff. Would love to see more probes get sent out. Maybe some manned missions while we're at it...
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
Gotta hand it to the good 'ole ways for building stuff.

Yeah, I hate that 1 event could start a wave of hysteria......hell even in Star Trek it was noted that the first starships were nuclear powered
Well...Japan's wasn't the first one. Chernobyl, Three Mile Island...

There have been a half dozen or so major accidents since the first ones went online nearly 60 years ago. (crap...has it been THAT long?)

Now honestly..there are some valid concerns...but there's so many safety protocols...that a problems really don't happen THAT often...

Statistic: Nuclear Power Plants cause between 600-1000 deaths a year per million people. The vast majority of them, 80%, are to the plant workers. I think that's less then the percentage of vehicular related deaths...but I'm no stats person.

Pulled from here
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-13-2011, 05:27 AM
WAY less. For the record, the ***ushima plants are 30+ years old, and thus using much older designs. It still took the most powerful earthquake in 1200+ years to do what they did to those designs, and the current design plans would have just laughed off even that quake (plus some of them are designed to actually cause the nuclear reaction to stop automatically in the event of a failure).
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Murphy's Law is still in effect. If it can happen it will happen. And some people don't want to pay the price of a disaster when it does happen and I don't blame them. If I had to run the risk of losing everything I own, plus my health or life, because a series of event they said would never happen, happened. I wouldn't want that power source in my backyard either.

Solar, Wind, Tidal and Hydro power should be sufficient to power our homes and business.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sural_Argonus
Well...Japan's wasn't the first one. Chernobyl, Three Mile Island...

There have been a half dozen or so major accidents since the first ones went online nearly 60 years ago. (crap...has it been THAT long?)

Now honestly..there are some valid concerns...but there's so many safety protocols...that a problems really don't happen THAT often...

Statistic: Nuclear Power Plants cause between 600-1000 deaths a year per million people. The vast majority of them, 80%, are to the plant workers. I think that's less then the percentage of vehicular related deaths...but I'm no stats person.

Pulled from here
Oh I know about all the big ones, but I was just refering to this 1 recent incident.

To be honest, I think the pro's outweigh the cons with nuclear power. Just don't build ontop of a fault line for first. Then I'd imagine that at one point in time new ways of protecting workers would be created. But hey, working in a power plant, one knows the risks involved.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sural_Argonus
People are afraid of nuke power because of the while "Reactor Go Boom" thing....

Which statistically it doesn't happen that often, and a chain of events has to happen before they blow up...namely multiple failures in the safeguards, which are numerous....or a big arse earthquake....heheh
This issue is; What happens when you put a nuclear reactor on a rocket; launch said rocket; but something fails and the rocket goes 'BOOM' at some point during the launch phase. Depending on the circumstances you can end up with no appriciable radioactive fallout - to irradiating a large area (possible affecting inhabited and wildlife areas.
^^^

This is why many groups don't like to see nuclear powered spacecraft.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-13-2011, 02:26 PM
From the shoreline of eternity...

Anyone else notice that the solar magnetic field is acting like a crashing wave of water on a coastline? Fluid mechanics at work man, knock on the sky... :p

Oh, and people fear nuclear power, cause they don't want to die a painful death. That's about it. Hence I really feel for the poor blokes exposed in Japan as of late. Course no need to get off topic here with all this, do we?