Lt. Commander
# 11
06-13-2011, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie
SOE didn't mess the game up; Lucas Arts made SOE change the game and that ruined the game.

Lucas Arts saw the success of WoW and that is why they forced SOE to change the game. Lucas Arts wanted the game to be more like WoW.
Interesting. However, making it an FPS instead of a cooldown system made it less WoW-like, not more.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-13-2011, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Last I heard a few SOE games were still offline after their account database got hacked, not sure if SWG is back, but it was still running. They've closed a lot of servers, and it's languishing with little to no developer attention and even less support. Last time I turned my account back on the community mostly traded fantasies about an "inevitable" pre-NGE server.
Things have been up and running again for a couple of weeks now.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-13-2011, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Interesting. However, making it an FPS instead of a cooldown system made it less WoW-like, not more.
Doesn't matter the end results LA wanted the change because of WoW.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-13-2011, 10:01 AM
I use to play SWG back when it came out, and stayed with it for a couple years. I think I left after space was release, due to the fact my old computer couldn't the game anymore. I had lag hits that froze me for 5 minutes. lol I don't have that issue anymore, but I found it hard to return to that game.

Of all the games going F2P, I don't understand why this one has done so. Maybe once SWTOR is released, then it will be a F2P.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie
Everquest wasn't started by SOE. Everquest was started by Verant which was later purchased by SOE in June of 2001. Everquest was already a successful endeavor for Verant before the acquisition by SOE.

I don't give SOE the credit for Everquest I success.
The game is still around. SOE owns it. They haven't ruined it. So they are therefore...partly responsible for it's success.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sural_Argonus
The game is still around. SOE owns it. They haven't ruined it. So they are therefore...partly responsible for it's success.
Isn't all on here merely semantics.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-13-2011, 03:35 PM
I been on and off for past couple weeks (hehe using the free 45 days from the hack) the game is OK, but needs lot more content it does have 6 to 8 high level dungeons, battle of hoth where you get to re-fight that, numerous pvp battlefields and zones.....Also ZOMBIES tooo

But sadly i wont be re-subbing.....often its near dead....the only server that is kicking good is starsider but when they do there 2hour things (Tue THur Sat) starsider takes another hour to come....patch days...forget about the game......

Card Gamew/ chance for some good loot....craftable pets....

But SOE and LA ruined the game....they need to revert some of NGE bring back the challenge....(and they have chronicle system where create own quests) but sadly the game just isnt the same.....
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
I never got round to playing star wars galaxies. I heard that many liked it, then SOE messed some stuff up.

Is this game still alive? Does it still get updates and new content. Is is free to play or sub? Is it any good (personal opinion of course?) How does it compare to STO?

Thanks.
1.) Technically it is still alive yes.

2.) Yes, new updates are a common thing (the PSN / SOE hacking created a delay though as you could imagine)

3.) It's $15.00/month. BUT in the near future SOE will be setting up a few F2P servers, that in reality are never-ending trial account servers.

4.) I've been playing SWG for 3 years, it's become boring as hell....most of the people I've known or come to see around the server have left due to boredom mostly. The only reason why I haven't ended my sub months ago is because one of my good friends is still playing, if it wasn't for him, then I'd be gone from SWG haha.

5.) Compared to STO:
* Graphics STO > SWG
* Enjoyablity / least amount of grief STO > SWG
* Exploitability STO < SWG
* Crafting STO < SWG
* Story STO ~ SWG (Depends on the mission). But in the sense of plausibiliy STO > SWG
* Era Authenticity STO > SWG

Just my personal opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Loved SWG when it first came out. Favorite profession of mine was the Teras Kasi Master, Pistoleer and Smuggler (aka Tri-Master).
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-13-2011, 05:59 PM
I played it from its launch date until a year ago...so about 6yrs I think. Anyways I outgrew it, and this game was about to come out so I had to let one go. Sometimes I miss it but Old Republic is right around the corner so why even bother with Galaxies really? If you are a Star Wars fan just be patient and wait for Old Republic to come out sometime this year