Lt. Commander
# 1 Star Trek Infinite Space...
06-13-2011, 06:12 AM
Just watched this quick run through of Star Trek Infinite Space

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3...ar-trek/716091

I noticed that the graphics were far superior to STO in every respect, it utilised LCARS for basic UI, graphical representations of ship item upgrades etc, take a look yourself, and this game is pre-alpha, ie not finished at all.

Why are STO's ground-based graphics so much, well, poorer than a browser game?

Here's some space footage, http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3...ar-trek/716093

ST:IS uses a better loading screen too as he explains, although they are two completely different games mmo/browser, Cryptic, as hard and as dedicated as they are working on STO, should take note of the boons of Star Trek Infinite Space.
The most important points to take from this Cryptic are the use of proper orangey LCARS, not the bluey nonsense, and hailing pop ups with backgrounds and more details such as the Defiant's bridge on the second GT trailer above.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-13-2011, 06:20 AM
Well, the scaling looks 100% better at this point.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-13-2011, 06:23 AM
LCars looks nice, but its really not efficient. As florthe space combat in ST:IS its all donefrom a top looking down shooter. so its basicly 2d, not a 3d environment witch to me blows thewhole thing. it basicly reminds my of a overblown arcade game.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-13-2011, 06:34 AM
The galaxy at war trailer is really pretty, but this is the only one that's not filmed off a screen where you can really judge the graphics. http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ba...ar-trek/715565

If you look at the ship viewer on their website, the ships are pretty low-poly, but it looks like they are pretty smart with showing it from a couple of favorable perspectives.

I'm looking forward to this, but it's not going to be anywhere near as deep as STO and sort of arcadey. Have they said if the interiors are anything but lobbies?
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-13-2011, 06:35 AM
hmm they have some intresting ideas for infinate space. However the space combat isnt as good as STO in my opinion
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-13-2011, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SturmDemTag View Post
As florthe space combat in ST:IS its all donefrom a top looking down shooter. so its basicly 2d,
That's what puts me off as well. The interiors look great though.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-13-2011, 06:37 AM
They had me up until the top down combat.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-13-2011, 06:40 AM
it depends how many environments they have. if there are 10 ground maps in total, then they can spend more time making those 10 look as detailed as they want. i also dont think there will be much action going on if any on ground, so perhaps they dont have to worry about lots of people filling them up, or weapon fire that might slow down people's computers.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-13-2011, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouldy133 View Post
I noticed that the graphics were far superior to STO in every respect,
I'm not sure about that. It's hard to tell details with a video of a computer screen. The animations seemed a little stiffer, and the facepalm emote wasn't that good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouldy133 View Post
it utilised LCARS for basic UI,
I have to admit, that looked good. I wonder how usable it will be. It might be annoying to pull up a full screen UI to do stuff rather than a window though. Also, their HUD was really bare.
Lt. Commander
# 10 Thumbs down :(
06-13-2011, 06:57 AM
About the only good comment I can make about that undertaking is "nice LCARS interface".

The rendering of the characters and ships and space combat are an instant turn-off to me.

How the heck did they get to use a likeness of the "Chosen One"??? ;(