Lt. Commander
# 11
06-13-2011, 07:01 AM
LCARS wasn't everywhere, the Space UI looked more like Cryptic's with some elements stripped out, and where there was LCARS it looked more like Eye Candy then functional.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-13-2011, 07:04 AM
I would like to see our UI would get the LCARS look, that would be awesome. Maybe a slightly updated 25th century version. Cryptic call that original designer up and see how he would advance the system almost 25 years later.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-13-2011, 07:07 AM
The ships are better achieved in Infinite. When I see the runabout in STO ...
And this is just an example.
The interiors in infinite have the right size.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-13-2011, 07:31 AM
With interiors, it doesn't seem clear that there will be ground combat, much less ground combat with pets. That does make a scaling difference and I think Cryptic got much closer with the TOS interiors, for instance, because they didn't design it with fights or pets in mind.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-13-2011, 07:46 AM
Everything I've seen about Infinite Space tells me that this game is something I'll look into. Eventually. Maybe. If I think about it.

Not really impressed so far.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-13-2011, 07:57 AM
I like how the dialogue window was displayed. It wasn't just a portrait looking at you with a blank look on their face. It had more detail. It showed them moving, talking, and it shows the players where that person is, like on the bridge of a ship.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-13-2011, 08:03 AM
The LCARS and the display of backgrounds behind and reactions of the talking heads in popups gives them life and a context - for example in STO we should see something behind our talking heads be it a station on the bridge if it's one of our officers, or a themed wall if it's a Romulan or Cardassian, for example.

Those two features at least look amazing and are definitely some things STO should think of including. For a free browser based game it has STO beat hands down already in those respects. How did they get the Okudas?

They recently said that based on feedback they're reworking some features, I can't help but hope this includes reworking the top-down 2D into either 3D or STO-style 2.5D at the least.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-13-2011, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouldy133 View Post
I noticed that the graphics were far superior to STO in every respect, it utilised LCARS for basic UI, graphical representations of ship item upgrades etc, take a look yourself, and this game is pre-alpha, ie not finished at all.
You MUST be looking at a different game, because while Infinite Space does look pretty decent for a browser game, it absolutely pales in comparison to STO. Don't let all those pre-rendered movies fool you. Look for an actual gameplay movie or screenshots. If they still look better, than something is very wrong with your STO video settings.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-13-2011, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrayl View Post
You MUST be looking at a different game, because while Infinite Space does look pretty decent for a browser game, it absolutely pales in comparison to STO. Don't let all those pre-rendered movies fool you. Look for an actual gameplay movie or screenshots. If they still look better, than something is very wrong with your STO video settings.
Did you watch the OPs linked videos? They're not pre-renders...

I will say that SOME of the effects and graphics look as good or better than STOs, but only some. Most notably here are the interiors... which have both atmosphere (the "feeling") and scale.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-13-2011, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouldy133 View Post
Just watched this quick run through of Star Trek Infinite Space

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3...ar-trek/716091

I noticed that the graphics were far superior to STO in every respect, it utilised LCARS for basic UI, graphical representations of ship item upgrades etc, take a look yourself, and this game is pre-alpha, ie not finished at all.
This has nothing to do with Star Trek Online Discussion and should be moved to 10 Forward.

Also:
  • Scaling is even worse than STO (Defiant is as large as the Galaxy Saucer toward the end)
  • There is no ground combat in Infinite Space (confirmed in interviews)

Quote:
Why are STO's ground-based graphics so much, well, poorer than a browser game?
because it isn't.... interiors exist only as social hubs in Infinite Space and there is no ground combat. Only social areas like DS9 and 10 Forward will be rendered in 3D.
They're going the Choose Your Own Adventure route with static images and NPCs for ground missions.

Quote:
ST:IS uses a better loading screen too as he explains, although they are two completely different games mmo/browser, Cryptic, as hard and as dedicated as they are working on STO, should take note of the boons of Star Trek Infinite Space. Mainly LCARS!!!
Better loading screens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
With interiors, it doesn't seem clear that there will be ground combat, much less ground combat with pets. That does make a scaling difference and I think Cryptic got much closer with the TOS interiors, for instance, because they didn't design it with fights or pets in mind.
That's because there is no ground combat. The ST:IS devs confirmed it in an interview.