Lt. Commander
# 21
06-13-2011, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint01
They had me up until the top down combat.
Yeah I kinda agree. Still looks awesome and will give it a try when it is ready. Hell, it's free! Can never have too many Trek games!
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulDreamer View Post
Did you watch the OPs linked videos? They're not pre-renders...

I will say that SOME of the effects and graphics look as good or better than STOs, but only some. Most notably here are the interiors... which have both atmosphere (the "feeling") and scale.
I did, and anything looks good from that distance. Look at full size screenshots of those scenes, and the real time rendered ships that are available on the site. Then you can really judge how it looks.

The UI is nice. The ground scaling is decent, but I still think it doesn't compare. It is impressive considering it's running in a small browser plugin, but thats all. I will likely try this game out when it arrives, but I'm not expecting much more than a glorified arcade shoot 'em up.
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-13-2011, 08:32 AM
There are only two things from those videos that I want in STO; Sisko and that Watchtower class starbase (the same style as Vanguard, from the novels). In every other respect, it really does pale in comparision to STO.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-13-2011, 08:39 AM
I'm actually not too worried about the Lcars as some people are. Isn't the UI already Albeit very loosly based on Lcars. What i would rather have is better scaling. Make the bigger ships bigger so you don't make the smaller ships too small. That way the VA pvp's wyould feel more epic. And the interiors as they stand are twice as tall as they should be. It would effect teh feel if interior combat as well to make it more like the show. Fighting indoors SHOULD feel cramped. And lets not forget the bridges lol I shouldn't have to yell to my Number 1 who is in the next chair over, or at the helms man. It's WAY too spread out and frankly makes it look ridiculous. I have yet to be in a fight on a bridge that couldn't take place in one that was more to scale.

Personally i don't think Cryptic has anything to wory about other then the people who don't want to pay subscriptions for their trek fix.
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-13-2011, 08:43 AM
Here's my opinion for what it's worth:

The LCARS is incredible, definitely better then the current UI we have. But that doesn't make up for the other big faults the game has. The social hubs look tiny, and I don't mean just to scale compared to STO interiors, I mean tiny. They look like one, two rooms and a hall way.

Emotes and general character design looks pretty bad in my view. The way the character moves is very static and very awkward. His uniform looks like it's made of plastic, which might explain the awkward movement.

Space combat........2D, really? All space combat and space travel is from the top, which is a big, big off putter. I fly the ships I fly in STO because I love them. Their iconic ships that I want to be able to look at from all angles. I want to be able to fly up and down, have enemies fly above and below me. I want to see all of my ship, not just the top. This is not the first game to do this either, Star Trek D.A.C. and Star Trek Conquest had very similar designs.

Overall, this will never be a good a game as STO. Considering the game will be F2P, then that redeems it overall, a little bit. In fact, I see it this way, you think the C-store in this game is bad, for a F2P game being made by a smaller company like that one will nearly only be chugging out stuff for their store. STO in several more seasons will be a much more competitive game, and not only that, but a much better game.

I don't really see this game as being something lasting, just something for those who don't play STO.
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-13-2011, 09:11 AM
I'd just like to add one more element of Infinite Space's UI that I've always wanted to see in STO: Backgrounds for Hails. In the second video linked, a hail is received from Commander Sisko, and shows what appears to be a static background image depicting what I assume is the Defiant's bridge.

That looks so much better than a plain background if you ask me.
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-13-2011, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrayl View Post
I'd just like to add one more element of Infinite Space's UI that I've always wanted to see in STO: Backgrounds for Hails. In the second video linked, a hail is received from Commander Sisko, and shows what appears to be a static background image depicting what I assume is the Defiant's bridge.

That looks so much better than a plain background if you ask me.
Yeah, I'd like to see more life in the communications windows. They all appear very samey at the minute, regardless of who you're talking to.

I also think it would be really cool if you got comms on the viewscreen (or indeed personal console in your quarters/ready room) if you communicate from inside your ship as I almost always do. I think that would be a great addition to interiors for a bit of visual pop, and it surely couldn't be that hard to implement.
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-13-2011, 09:15 AM
There should be no way a browser based game should be able to compare graphically to a stand-alone MMO.

That being said, it's all about gameplay and content for me. I've played many MMOs, some had the best graphics imaginable, yet were boring and had terrible gameplay. If the graphics are "good", if it has a lot of non-linear content, good character progression and a well thought out UI, then that's what will keep me.

I am looking forward to this game simply for an alternative Star Trek game. And competition is great for customers.
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-13-2011, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisman View Post
There should be no way a browser based game should be able to compare graphically to a stand-alone MMO.

That being said, it's all about gameplay and content for me. I've played many MMOs, some had the best graphics imaginable, yet were boring and had terrible gameplay. If the graphics are "good", if it has a lot of non-linear content, good character progression and a well thought out UI, then that's what will keep me.
Same here. You can have the best graphics in the world but if they don't walk the walk then what's the point? Visual fluff is usually added as time goes on, but it seems to be all we get here. Season 4 looks like the first non-C-store-focused update in months.
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-13-2011, 09:34 AM
What I want to know is why Cryptic couldn't get the Defiant's textures right, but the folks are Game Forge could.