Lt. Commander
# 31
06-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint01
What I want to know is why Cryptic couldn't get the Defiant's textures right, but the folks are Game Forge could.
You mean the guys who made the Defiant larger than the Galaxy saucer?
Lt. Commander
# 32
06-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperLimited View Post
I like how the dialogue window was displayed. It wasn't just a portrait looking at you with a blank look on their face. It had more detail. It showed them moving, talking, and it shows the players where that person is, like on the bridge of a ship.
I think a dialogue UI overhaul is definitely in order here, including backdrops for contacts.
Lt. Commander
# 33
06-13-2011, 12:32 PM
By the looks of things, they're going for a tactical, representative scale rather than absolute. Otherwise, that Warbird would have been much larger. Each major ship would then occupy the same amount of screen space.

But really, why feel threatened by it? Both games can happily exist together. I just hope that CBS will realise what a cultural goldmine they're sitting on and allow for crossover events between STO, Infinite Space, and any other Trek games to come.

The games could act as windows into the persistent Trek Universe, with participation in one game offering bonuses in others. More crossovers with other media would enhance the Trek experience as well - after all, that is where the Trek Universe first gained persistence.

Disclosure: Yeah, I'm suggesting the same ideas from the other thread I posted over the weekend. I'm shameless.
Lt. Commander
# 34
06-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
You mean the guys who made the Defiant larger than the Galaxy saucer?
While the size comparisons do bug me a little, I also understand that they had to be big enough for gamers to see and enjoy the details off. What does irk me, is that they didn't get the details right on the ships. They have access to CGI and Studio models of the ships... right from CBS. Or at least they should. There really shouldn't be any discrepancies at all in the canon ships.
Lt. Commander
# 35
06-13-2011, 12:42 PM
The Defiant wasn't a constant scale in DS9 either. One clip it was a small as a Peregrine Fighter that one shots a BOP in a scene. Sometime the Defiant was huge at docked at DS9.

I want LCARS UI in STO.
Lt. Commander
# 36
06-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint01
While the size comparisons do bug me a little, I also understand that they had to be big enough for gamers to see and enjoy the details off. What does irk me, is that they didn't get the details right on the ships. They have access to CGI and Studio models of the ships... right from CBS. Or at least they should. There really shouldn't be any discrepancies at all in the canon ships.
The models aren't the same on most iconic ships.

Even something as iconic as the Galaxy saucer had numerous models with many, many discrepancies between them: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/galaxy.htm. Most notably, they used a 6 ft. model and a 4ft. They didn't look like each other: neither do the ships in the models look exactly like designs created by Andrew Probert. Even with that, the models were repainted at various points. Some of the existing models today are ones used for the non-Enterprise Galaxies in TNG and DS9.

That's just one simple area in which the models varied between shows, despite each of us having a clear image that it's a distinct thing. Models changed frequently; some were built to different scales.

Stuff like the Defiant only magnifies the issue since it had both an inconsistent size in the shows and several models.

As for LCARS UI, the font is an eyesore and only designed to be read on a tv screen at odd angles. The UI elements aren't particularly useful either (if you hate nested ui, you'll hate the context sensitive, nested UIs from the designs). LCARS is a very pretty but highly useless design: yet its influence is still felt in-game (sans the horrid color schema).