Lt. Commander
# 1 Unique quest rewards
06-13-2011, 08:21 AM
I'm on my first playthrough, mostly sticking to the storyline (or episodes?). I'm noticing that many of the quest rewards are unique items and I'm not sure whether to get the item or an upgrade. I know on my first playthrough of the SS Azura rescue, I missed the item that gives you bank and mail access, so I went back and replayed the mission (very cool idea!). I just don't want to do that for every mission.

So the question is, are there any 'must have' unique quest rewards at the lower levels since the non unique rewards (weapons, shields, etc) are actually better upgrades for me.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-13-2011, 08:27 AM
The Breen set is quite useful, usually the first thing I get on promotion, if you have better equipment, they sell for a decent buck, but I usually use them right up until I can craft an AEGIS set. The reman (or romulan, can't remember right now) covariant shield array is quite nice too...
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-13-2011, 08:29 AM
For Lt.Cmdr rank, the 'Efficient' Mk IV Impulse Engine (unique reward for 'Past Imperfect') is still one of the best Impulse Engine. And the 'Sub-Zero' set (Shield, Deflector, Impulse) from the Breen Feature Series is also desirable.. (and repeatable, as the items are Rank bound on pickup...)
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-13-2011, 08:32 AM
The Breen ground weapon is also quite good, one of the best expose weapons in the game. Worth leaving it on a Boff that's a fixture on your away team. The Proton rifle from the Devidian series is also decent, but it got nerfed a while back. It used to be solidly the best ground weapon in the game, but now it's a passable. I wouldn't fall too in love with it.

The TOS phaser rifle is also up there, though, it's functionally similar to a sniper rifle, but the secondary is AOE instead of single target.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-13-2011, 08:33 AM
I really like the Breen set; it has lasted me all the way to Commander. As a fellow first-timer, I agree that it would be a good thing to shoot for! You get it by doing the mission line involving the Deferi.

I've found that the episodes seem to consistently give useful stuff. Best of all, you can replay those through the console in your ready room, and many of the rewards will upgrade with your rank. So, you can do an episode and get a ship part at Lieutenant, and then replay the mission for the same part with LtCmdr stats.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-13-2011, 08:41 AM
Sounds good. I've been selecting the items that say 'unique, 1 per character' or something like that. I assume those are usually the things that have some special properties.

I'm currently level 7, so I can't start the Breen yet. I'm working my way through the Devidians right now, but would hate to have to replay some of these longer missions!
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-13-2011, 03:08 PM
The Deferi/Breen missions require Lt.10 or higher, (but doing them will take you through a level,) so you might want to wait until your Lt.Cmdr 1 to get the Sub-Zero set to get the most use out of them...
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-14-2011, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
The Deferi/Breen missions require Lt.10 or higher, (but doing them will take you through a level,) so you might want to wait until your Lt.Cmdr 1 to get the Sub-Zero set to get the most use out of them...
For the Breen I'd suggest waiting to LTC 1 anyway for your first character. They're currently one of the harder factions to fight, especially on the ground. That boss cheats shamelessly. Bringing a tier 2 ship and your away team having two powers each makes a difference.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-14-2011, 01:56 AM
It's fun to just experiment with different weapons, powers, and setups and find out what works best for you.

A list of all the episode rewards are available here and you can click the item for detailed stats.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-14-2011, 02:51 AM
theres an over charged plasma rifle mk v for one of the romulan missions that is very useful