Lt. Commander
# 1 Ground Combat on elite?
06-13-2011, 01:11 PM
So I was reading these forums and noticed that people were complaining about ground combat. I just started playing, and I found normal and advanced space combat to be far too easy. Elite space combat might even be too easy, but ground combat--it's downright impossible. So I know this is getting "fixed" soon, but until then, does anyone have any tips at all? Usually I can just win through attrition, but I just started up this mission and the first group I face is a 4 level Klingon Officer, 2 3 level Swordmasters, and 2 2 level Munitions Officers, and I can't even down one before my party is wiped out.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexMako View Post
So I was reading these forums and noticed that people were complaining about ground combat. I just started playing, and I found normal and advanced space combat to be far too easy. Elite space combat might even be too easy, but ground combat--it's downright impossible. So I know this is getting "fixed" soon, but until then, does anyone have any tips at all? Usually I can just win through attrition, but I just started up this mission and the first group I face is a 4 level Klingon Officer, 2 3 level Swordmasters, and 2 2 level Munitions Officers, and I can't even down one before my party is wiped out.
Unfortunately Klingon NPCs are some of the worst offenders for not scaling well with the difficulty slider, and the 3 Swordmasters are just a painful group to go up against. If you're determined you want to get through them all you can really do is make sure you have the best equipment you can get and plenty of Hypos to heal yourself. Hiding behind cover to recharge your shields can also help against the energy weapons but these guys will just be in your face all the time, and in my experience the melee weapons (the Bat'leth in particular although the smaller blade the officers use has a nasty disable with it) are the problem, they usually finish me off in one or two blows. Also worth mentioning (this sounds like one of those nebula missions seeing as you mentioned it was the first spawn) the last spawn will be even worse, with a Captain level NPC in thereso it'll only get worse. If it only a nebula mission then it may be worth dropping it and going to find another.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-13-2011, 01:51 PM
Sad to say there really is no way to get through a ground mission without dieing many many many times on Elite. Yeah, there are plenty of ground combat threads that give tips to get through. This one by AzureAlliance is probably the best one out there. But even with good posts like these, it's still beyond me that some still think there is nothing worng with ground combat other than the way people play on the ground. I'm in the same boat you are on the Elite settings, me and my crew are dead before I can even drop one. Only thing we can really do is wait and hope that the fix comes sometime soon.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Advanced was impossible especially with the Borg. Plus I get annoyed that they ignore all my BO's and just swarm me. Rather hard to do anything if 5-6 enemies are directly on you. Oh and also how enemies seem to be able to do 3-5 times as much damage in melee that you could even with a melee weapon. 2-3 attacks should not kill you immediately. My shields seem to melt like butter but there's seem to need everyone firing at the same time to even get them to budge.

I agree that space combat was little different on a higher setting but ground is ridiculous.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-14-2011, 02:09 AM
The damage from certain enemies is so overpowered that there is literally nothing you can do to fight them. I've tried getting max defensive gear and skills and it doesn't matter. The damage scaling is such that you'll still be incapped in about 10 seconds without being able to react. When you're taking hits from 5-7 guys for 200 points each, or single hits for over 500 damage, there's simply no way to stand up to it.

It's been like this ever since Elite mode was put into the game. Nothing has ever been done to fix it. Hopefully it will finally be fixed in the ground revamp.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-14-2011, 07:34 AM
I was just going to ask what happened to your thread, Nagorak, but then I found out on my own.

Hot topic, definitely. The only thing you can do right now is not play on Elite, or at least beam out whenever you see some of those brokenly-scaled NPCs. I think some are not _quite_ that bad. But I think Exploration Missions are almost unbeatable right now on Elite, since half the enemies are basically re-costumed Klingons or something like that.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-14-2011, 08:25 AM
Some enemies on Elite are ok. It's not all by any means. The problem is that any enemies that use dual pistols, or full auto assault weapons seem to have extremely boosted damage. Since most of the exploration enemies happen to use those weapons it's very difficult to defeat them, and in some cases literally impossible. The damage output is just too high.

The other thing is low level enemies, like Klingons and Gorn, do too much damage when they're scaled up to high levels. This didn't used to be a problem, but now with the Foundry and the newly remastered episodes you'll end up encountering some of them.

It could be this is also the real issue behind the explore enemies. Maybe they're really low levels that are scaled up?

I intend to play on Tribble as soon as the new patch hits it to verify that this problem has really been fixed once and for all.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Quote:
It could be this is also the real issue behind the explore enemies. Maybe they're really low levels that are scaled up?
I think that is the problem. Their scaling just doesn't work right, no matter if it's to scale from normal to advanced to elite, or from level 1 NPC to Level 51.
Lt. Commander
# 9 Yip had that too
06-14-2011, 02:24 PM
The worst I experienced was against a Romulan NPC group. My entire BO crew died in the space less than a second, as they were all standing right underneath the Tholaron mine when it detonated. I was taken out soon afterwards, and respawned back at the start with the same odds and critical wounds all round
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-15-2011, 03:40 AM
So far the ground combat revamp doesn't improve things on Elite as far as I can tell. The mechanics have been changed, but it's actually made things worse. It used to be only some bugged enemies would one-shot you. Now it seems that every single one will.

I'm also afraid there's a pretty high likelihood that these changes will go live without being fixed. Almost everyone plays on normal and they're all raving about how great it is. So even though it scales to being broken on Elite, if the past is any indication, the devs will not take notice.

Here's a Fraps video I recorded showing the new revamped ground combat and the continued problems on Elite. I'm not sure I could ever kill the Undine boss in the video due to it being able to one-shot me and each of my BOs, and it healing to full whenever we respawned. I didn't use security team, so maybe that would help, but they'd just beam out when I went down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maYPyVbCKsk

I wish there was just a separate difficulty selector for ground and space. Then we could just forget about Elite ground mode entirely.