Lt. Commander
# 11
06-15-2011, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
^- I strongly support this.

There will *always* be Flavor of the Month builds in any game. I've seen them there as well; it's part of how things just happen. There is also often 'counter threads' about how to 'crack' the FotM builds. Also normal.

In the end it very much depends on preference. If someone wants to follow the trend, they will find themselves having to rebuild often; get specific gear often... or they can ask about more general builds or "Hey, how can I be more efficient using phaser turrets in ground maps?". Some users may post "Lulz, they suck, you should do X instead" - thank them and let them know you'd really like to know more about turrets.
Well WishStone,there is nothing wrong with giving a balanced feedback (pros and cons) on the item or skill in question and providing an alternative.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-15-2011, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKFORCE View Post
Well WishStone,there is nothing wrong with giving a balanced feedback (pros and cons) on the item or skill in question and providing an alternative.
You're absolutely right.

But there is something wrong with responding "Lulz, they suck, you should do X instead". This comes across as insulting the intelligence of the inquiring party. "Have you considered X instead? They have Y advantages..." would be a much better way to suggest alternatives.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-16-2011, 04:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
You're absolutely right.

But there is something wrong with responding "Lulz, they suck, you should do X instead". This comes across as insulting the intelligence of the inquiring party. "Have you considered X instead? They have Y advantages..." would be a much better way to suggest alternatives.
And you are absolutely right on this,but here's the thing.....some people never learned to communicate properly,so the only way they know how to respond is with "Lulz, they suck, you should do X instead".

I do think people feel offended too easily these days,insults are read where no insult was meant.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-16-2011, 07:05 AM
Sounds like something they should teach at school, how to communicate properly. It would save Wishstone a lot of work, lol.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-16-2011, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuccaneerDTB
Sounds like something they should teach at school, how to communicate properly. It would save Wishstone a lot of work, lol.
A statement like this just reminds me how old I am and how far removed I am from school!
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Quote:
And you are absolutely right on this,but here's the thing.....some people never learned to communicate properly,so the only way they know how to respond is with "Lulz, they suck, you should do X instead".

I do think people feel offended too easily these days,insults are read where no insult was meant.
It's hard to convey proper inflections, sarcastic tones, gentle ribbing, and such through plain text.
And I mean this in the most sincere of tones :-)
It's really a matter of practice that allows one to properly convey what's "between the lines", so to speak. However, I think that's a matter for another thread. Let's try not to derail this one
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-16-2011, 11:26 AM
As the Op I can say I never feel bad when someone critiques my builds... I'd rather know if I made a poor choice in powers more than someone being supportive... I did make 1 change switching out EPtA for EPtE based on feedback. What I don't like is someone tersely dismissing something as flavor of the month...

It hard for me to even say what is FOTM here in STO. Compared to the Champions forums we have so few builds posted here. So I don't see a whole lot of standard builds being overly copied on these forums.

For my Engineer the build is working out. What I've lost in Torpedo DPS ( if any) I've more than made up with by maxing out many of my StarShip engineering skills. I think there should be robust discussions on builds, it would facilitate better builds for lots of people.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakout View Post
As the Op I can say I never feel bad when someone critiques my builds... I'd rather know if I made a poor choice in powers more than someone being supportive... I did make 1 change switching out EPtA for EPtE based on feedback. What I don't like is someone tersely dismissing something as flavor of the month...

It hard for me to even say what is FOTM here in STO. Compared to the Champions forums we have so few builds posted here. So I don't see a whole lot of standard builds being overly copied on these forums.

For my Engineer the build is working out. What I've lost in Torpedo DPS ( if any) I've more than made up with by maxing out many of my StarShip engineering skills. I think there should be robust discussions on builds, it would facilitate better builds for lots of people.
To be honest,there is quite a bit of build advice......they tend to be on the PvP and KDF forums.....might want to check them out.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-16-2011, 12:05 PM
Quote:
To be honest,there is quite a bit of build advice......they tend to be on the PvP and KDF forums.....might want to check them out.
most build advice I see focuses on BO powers or consoles I have found very few that talk about the skill tree....
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakout View Post
most build advice I see focuses on BO powers or consoles I have found very few that talk about the skill tree....
You're right, there used to ba a lot more.
Engineering space skills are some of the best. I have more than science space skills, and I am sci/sci. Hull Repair is great for engineer healers. I have found no use for maxing performance powers, I get the same power at 8 as at 9. That saves precious skill points.