Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 11
06-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyryck
Non-techies complaining about a game? Whodathunkit? ;(

OP - Have you tried a complete uninstall of everything nVidia, rebooted, cancel the automatic install of drivers, followed by a pass of DriverCleaner to clean up the nVidia leftovers, reboot, then a complete clean install of nVidia drivers?

Mr I-don't-want-to-gimp-myself-with-using-a-wire-to-fix-my-problem - perhaps you should be learning how to turn off all the other network traffic going between your machine and your router(like your torrents and such) instead of complaining to Cryptic about it's game. Maybe even make a run of MalwareBytes or Spybot to find all the hidden traffic going on in the shadows. Maybe even trying the proxy connection instead of direct to the shard. But, I know, it's easier to complain and get mad on the interwebz.

Seriously, do some checks on your PC and try to remove other possible reasons for issues being experienced.
Wait, are you a techie?
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Umm that's normal for ANY calculation intensive app; from games to auto cad drafting programs. Thats npt an error or a bug.
Some of us are just a little concerned that we might be cooking the processor when that happens.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellianth View Post
Wait, are you a techie?
I've done extensive testing and troubleshooting on multiple systems and configurations... does that make ME a techie? Define techie.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Non-techies complaining about a game? Whodathunkit? ;(

OP - Have you tried a complete uninstall of everything nVidia, rebooted, cancel the automatic install of drivers, followed by a pass of DriverCleaner to clean up the nVidia leftovers, reboot, then a complete clean install of nVidia drivers?
I have.

I upgraded video cards back in February: clean wipe of drivers, fresh install of a 1GB PNY EE 460 GTX (previously had a 1.8 GB OEM 260 GTX). It's an odd problem: as the 460 runs other games fine and the problem goes away with my 260 put back in.

That said, my issue may partly be cause by an insufficient psu (wattage was 50w over but I didn't consider amps).
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellianth View Post
Wait, are you a techie?
Who me? A techie? I'll never admit to it in public.

I am a gamer though and I've been configuring my PC's to run games since the double-5.25"-floppy-disk-days of DOS. You might say that I've learned a few things over the years. Oh, and *I* NEVER have problems with any game that I install on my PCs.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarkonis
Some of us are just a little concerned that we might be cooking the processor when that happens.
Unless you've overclocked your processor, knocked off the heatsink and / or fan on it, covered up all the intakes and outlets, or stuck your PC in a sauna or oven, the proc hitting 100% utilization for a few seconds is not going to hurt it.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-13-2011, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I have.

I upgraded video cards back in February: clean wipe of drivers, fresh install of a 1GB PNY EE 460 GTX (previously had a 1.8 GB OEM 260 GTX). It's an odd problem: as the 460 runs other games fine and the problem goes away with my 260 put back in.

That said, my issue may partly be cause by an insufficient psu (wattage was 50w over but I didn't consider amps).
260 would draw a little less amperage because of less electronics on the board, and if the 460 didn't have enough amps, that could manifest in shadow rendering because it would need the extra amps.

Work on a few PC's for friends or acquaintances, make a little manual labor cash, buy new PSU, problem solved, profit in EC?
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-13-2011, 06:58 PM
This may be a problem with DX9 running on newer DX11 cards. In fact one of the reasons why there has not been a Dev response is because this might fix itself once they release DX11 support for the game in July.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-14-2011, 02:12 AM
Quote:
260 would draw a little less amperage because of less electronics on the board, and if the 460 didn't have enough amps, that could manifest in shadow rendering because it would need the extra amps.

Work on a few PC's for friends or acquaintances, make a little manual labor cash, buy new PSU, problem solved, profit in EC?
Already got a new PSU on the way. However, that was unrelated to the performance issues many, including myself, experienced (my computer technically draws enough amps--though it could suffer under an intense load, like 3dmark).

This doesn't make the problem go away nor does it make you "right." There are enough people with this issue that it can't all boil down to the same hardware issues, at least probably not.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-14-2011, 09:14 AM
well I have the 460 and don't really have problems. I do rarely on ground maps get some shadow flickering, but not often at all.
Closed Thread