Captain
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,836
# 1 Oddy or Sovereign?
03-26-2014, 10:05 PM
So I've done some math things and discovered that converting the event Dil to Zen could get me enough to buy a major ship from the store, as well as some incidentals. My current ship is a Noble class T4 Assault Cruiser with some Majestic elements attached to it. I like it a lot. Gets my crew where they need to be and it has such a Star Trek series look about it, feels like it could be a ship in a TV series. But I love the Regent nacelles and would love to add them to the ship to make it look perfect. On the other hand, with the same amount of Zen, I could buy an Odyssey class starship. A Tier 5 is a major upgrade for my me Fed and the Chevron separation ability is a huge draw to me since TNG. So my question is this: Should I buy an Odyssey or Regent? Move up to T5 or stay at T4 for the aesthetics?

EDIT: Wait, I mean Regent, not Sovereign.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP

Last edited by moonshadowdark; 03-26-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,500
# 2
03-26-2014, 10:15 PM
I'll say this. I still have my Va sovie with my main toon. and with her build she is among my top ships. Regent was crap in many ways. So with the zen, Gal X. Oddy is useless if you only get one version. save for bundle or get Galx, or Excelsior Retro.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,614
# 3
03-26-2014, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadowdark View Post
So I've done some math things and discovered that converting the event Dil to Zen could get me enough to buy a major ship from the store, as well as some incidentals. My current ship is a Noble class T4 Assault Cruiser with some Majestic elements attached to it. I like it a lot. Gets my crew where they need to be and it has such a Star Trek series look about it, feels like it could be a ship in a TV series. But I love the Regent nacelles and would love to add them to the ship to make it look perfect. On the other hand, with the same amount of Zen, I could buy an Odyssey class starship. A Tier 5 is a major upgrade for my me Fed and the Chevron separation ability is a huge draw to me since TNG. So my question is this: Should I buy an Odyssey or Regent? Move up to T5 or stay at T4 for the aesthetics?

EDIT: Wait, I mean Regent, not Sovereign.
These days? Regent. Oddy's strength lies in durability, which doesn't mean much compared to damage output - especially in PvE.

stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More!
It's about time. DEVS NEED ACCOUNTABILITY.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6,534
# 4
03-26-2014, 10:29 PM
Basically there's four top cruisers.

Oddy is an all right mighty glacier with plenty of tactical power (uni LCDR on all versions, for Pete's sake). But it does really need the console set to shine.

Sov has a similar boff layout to the Avenger, except with no built-in science boff so you're more or less restricted to slotting a sci in the LT uni for heals. It's faster and has more hull than the Oddy, whereas the Oddy has more shields. Regent gets you a wide angle quantum torp that you can use while broadsiding if you feel like it.

Excelsior has an LCDR tac and loads of engi, with plenty of self-buffing potential.

The wild card in the deck is the Avenger. It's a KDF-style battlecruiser, so it's not as tough as the others and doesn't get Attract Fire (although threat gen is basically useless anyway). It's fast, mounts dual cannons, and has a very versatile boff layout: same as the Sov, but with a built in LT sci and an LT universal. I run mine with an engi in the uni slot; buddy of mine uses it for a tac.
Useful Links for Foundry Writers | STO standalone installer

Quote:
We therefore commit his body to the deep, to be turned into corruption, looking for the resurrection of the body when the stars shall give up their dead.
Captain
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,394
# 5
03-26-2014, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadowdark View Post
So I've done some math things and discovered that converting the event Dil to Zen could get me enough to buy a major ship from the store, as well as some incidentals. My current ship is a Noble class T4 Assault Cruiser with some Majestic elements attached to it. I like it a lot. Gets my crew where they need to be and it has such a Star Trek series look about it, feels like it could be a ship in a TV series. But I love the Regent nacelles and would love to add them to the ship to make it look perfect. On the other hand, with the same amount of Zen, I could buy an Odyssey class starship. A Tier 5 is a major upgrade for my me Fed and the Chevron separation ability is a huge draw to me since TNG. So my question is this: Should I buy an Odyssey or Regent? Move up to T5 or stay at T4 for the aesthetics?

EDIT: Wait, I mean Regent, not Sovereign.
The Assault Cruiser, including its variant skins, from the Rear Adimral Lower Half level band is TIER FIVE.

Tier 1 = Miranda starter ship or TOS Cruiser.
Tier 2 = the Cruiser. Usually people also call this a Connie, because the movie era Constitution is one of the skins. But the Vesper and Excalibur skins are there too. And there's the c-store Exeter.
Tier 3 = The Four Nacelled Cheyenne, Stargazer and other one I always forget. As well as the first Excelsior.
Tier 4= The Galaxy and the other two really huge honking skins that go with it. And the c-store Venture.

Tier 5 = ALLLLLLLLLL the rest. Assault Cruiser. Star Cruiser. Galaxy Retrofit. Retrofit Excelsior. Mirror Assault. Mirror Star. Mirror Cheyenne. Reagent/Assault Cruiser Refit. And alllllll the fleet versions.

Ok, back to your question:

The Oddy, I like the look. I LOVE the bridge. But I'd recommend the Reagent if you're going to buy one of the two. It turns a smidge better. And has the 180 degree torpedo which is fun.

Either would work for what you want out of the ship though. But if you plan to get a fleet Reagent, getting the c-store one now cuts the ship module cost down to 1 module and that ship is better than the tactical Odyssey.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,614
# 6
03-26-2014, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
But I'd recommend the Reagent if you're going to buy one of the two. It turns a smidge better. And has the 180 degree torpedo which is fun.

... and that ship is better than the tactical Odyssey.
Agreed. The Regent (and eventually fleet Regent) offers 1) sufficient tactical boff seating, and 2) sufficient tactical console spaces to be an effective team member in PvE.

Plus, OP, you said you liked the nacelles. The nacelles are quite attractive indeed.

stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More!
It's about time. DEVS NEED ACCOUNTABILITY.
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 789
# 7
03-26-2014, 11:24 PM
little reminder that, unless you CAN get a fleet regent(you need T5 shipyard for that), the tac odyssey is better, since its at fleet level(T5.5) with equivalent extra shielding/hull(actually a bit higher) and 10 console slots.
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 264
# 8
03-26-2014, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
The Assault Cruiser, including its variant skins, from the Rear Adimral Lower Half level band is TIER FIVE.

Tier 1 = Miranda starter ship or TOS Cruiser.
Tier 2 = the Cruiser. Usually people also call this a Connie, because the movie era Constitution is one of the skins. But the Vesper and Excalibur skins are there too. And there's the c-store Exeter.
Tier 3 = The Four Nacelled Cheyenne, Stargazer and other one I always forget. As well as the first Excelsior.
Tier 4= The Galaxy and the other two really huge honking skins that go with it. And the c-store Venture.

Tier 5 = ALLLLLLLLLL the rest. Assault Cruiser. Star Cruiser. Galaxy Retrofit. Retrofit Excelsior. Mirror Assault. Mirror Star. Mirror Cheyenne. Reagent/Assault Cruiser Refit. And alllllll the fleet versions.

Ok, back to your question:

The Oddy, I like the look. I LOVE the bridge. But I'd recommend the Reagent if you're going to buy one of the two. It turns a smidge better. And has the 180 degree torpedo which is fun.

Either would work for what you want out of the ship though. But if you plan to get a fleet Reagent, getting the c-store one now cuts the ship module cost down to 1 module and that ship is better than the tactical Odyssey.
Thats not how it actually works sorry, the Miranda doesnt even have its own tier, and the tiers generally represent levels where a ship is earned being T1/ level 10, T2/ Level 20 etc, the 40 freebe ships are considered to be T4, where as 10 console Zships and fleet ships are considered Tier 5

To OP, It really falls down to what you prefer both ships can do the same job well, I would recommend the engineer Oddy though over the others (If you can only get one) for saucer sep. That + turn rate is pretty dang useful.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,264
# 9
03-27-2014, 12:22 AM
I would go for the Regent myself. Actually I have gone that route. and the fleet regent as well.

You can keep the cosmetic appearance the same as your current ship so you will never lose that look. The wide angle torpedo launcher is great to add in if you use broadsides, which I tend to do allot. The metreon gas console is not that useful but it can be fun to play with on occasion.

With the oddy. Unless you buy the 3 pack its not really worth it to buy one at a time.

I was at the point you are with this decision after I thought about it I went regent and was very glad I did. Haven't looked back.

May the Prophets guide us in these cryptic times....
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 446
# 10
03-27-2014, 01:18 AM
I like the Odyssey myself, I use it on my Tac capt with chevron sep for the turn rate boost and equip DBB fore. Though I suppose the GalX is actually viable now since it can use saucer sep too.

Basically it comes down to which one looks best to you.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:50 AM.