Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
06-14-2011, 12:52 PM
i wana see them ddos a magor porn site XD it's almost impossible to ddos a porn site, they have MASSIVE servers coz i mean.. really, they get almost a ddos attack everyday from so many people wanting to watch porn =o
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
06-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by homsikpanda View Post
i wana see them ddos a magor porn site XD it's almost impossible to ddos a porn site, they have MASSIVE servers coz i mean.. really, they get almost a ddos attack everyday from so many people wanting to watch porn =o
They didn't ddosed them but hacked one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LulzSec
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
06-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
They didn't ddosed them but hacked one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LulzSec
Was actually an interesting read to see what they do, though one can only take wikipedia at face value, people can alter and change articles, though I've heard some stuff is moniter to keep authenticity.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
06-14-2011, 01:22 PM
you can check there website, its pretty much all there whats mentioned on wikipedia.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
06-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
you can check there website, its pretty much all there whats mentioned on wikipedia.
Not saying that Wikipedia isn't a viable source, just since it can be altered by people that you'd have to find other sources to back up what's been posted on there. It's the biggest reason why some colleges professors, NVCC for example, won't allow their students to use wikipedia as a source when writing papers.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
06-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doblinian View Post
Is there a risk that they attack STO?
First off, a Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) attack is NOT a hack; it is merely a method of swamping a service with false requests so that legitimate users cannot use the service.

Secondly, even if something like this were to happen to STO, it would most likely only last a day. With methods of blocking attacks or sender addresses, sustained DDOS attacks are improbable.

As a personal note, I'm not sure what LulSec is trying to prove. Certainly, even the most hardened site can be brought down by a DDOS attack, given enough zombie hosts. I thought their MO was about finding security exploits in servers and then posting them up. This is more public harassment than I expected from them. It gives them less credibility, IMPO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
you can check there website, its pretty much all there whats mentioned on wikipedia.
Wikiepdia is hardly a cite-able source, as almost anyone can edit almost any page, unless mods change permissions or lock the page altogether.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
06-14-2011, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidius View Post
First off, a Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) attack is NOT a hack; it is merely a method of swamping a service with false requests so that legitimate users cannot use the service.

Secondly, even if something like this were to happen to STO, it would most likely only last a day. With methods of blocking attacks or sender addresses, sustained DDOS attacks are improbable.

As a personal note, I'm not sure what LulSec is trying to prove. Certainly, even the most hardened site can be brought down by a DDOS attack, given enough zombie hosts. I thought their MO was about finding security exploits in servers and then posting them up. This is more public harassment than I expected from them. It gives them less credibility, IMPO.
From what I've read, they do this to show sites their security issue or for the "LuLz"
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
06-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidius View Post


Wikiepdia is hardly a cite-able source, as almost anyone can edit almost any page, unless mods change permissions or lock the page altogether.
hellloooo i am not quoteing wikipedia, I am reffering to he lulzsec website, and they better know what they have done and they also can back it up with the data that is available on there site.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
06-14-2011, 01:49 PM
My mistake, but I'm not really interested in what they have to say. They've lost a bunch of cool points in my books after today. I frequent the Escapist (I site that has written several articles about their exploits, mostly objectively), so I'm pretty irritated they chose to DDOS it today.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
06-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarkonis
This is really getting old. Find them, and don't even give them a trial, shoot them. Tired of this from these idiots.
This is refrence to your sig. "Why do the Borg make great villans?" Simply because they are the embodyment of what we could be, if all our human compassion was taken from us. Cold mechinacal, lifless yet still living. Not being able to control yourself. The Borg are the Star Trek embodyment of the boggeyman, it keeps young cadets up night.

Anyways back to op, The DOS attack is a very weak move that only comprmises a servers ability to relay data to waiting computers. There is no hack, as no data is taken from the server. It is basically millions of attems to get access to the site at once. Luiz Security should have no reason to target STO. I'm kind of supprised they targeted EVE, if they want to make a statement they should have gone after ********. (Kind of gald they didn't, I like blizzard. Trolls stay away, this is not a flame war.) I think the worst STO would have to warry about is a DOS attack, which would only take them down for about a day, but there is no real way to protect from that, which is why Visa and Mastercard were so open to attack.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:50 PM.