Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Lt. Commander
Which is better when you reach Commander? Besides a little more crew I cannot see a difference between them.

I like to play an Engineer in a cruiser. I can run it on attack settings all the time and still tank well and survive with good dps.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-14-2011, 08:09 PM
The Cmdr Excelsior and Nebula cost 137000EC. You can't get it with the ship token. Do you like 4 engine ships or do you like the 2 engine ships? When I hit Cmdr before Excelsior came out, I went with the Akira because I didn't like the 4 engine cruisers that were available. I would have used the 4 engine cruiser if the Constellation Class was available.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-14-2011, 08:15 PM
I was talking about these two ships specifically.

http://www.stowiki.org/Heavy_Cruiser

http://www.stowiki.org/Advanced_Heavy_Cruiser

I am still kind of new to the game.

My goal is to go for the Galaxy and then Galaxy R but the ships I use up to that point are kind of up for grabs.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-14-2011, 08:20 PM
both ships have identical hull strength, weapon/boff slots an everything else that matters, iirc.

it really comes down to which you like the look of best, and if you're willing to pay for the excelsior. i was, and i felt it was worth it, but that was my preference.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1983 View Post
both ships have identical hull strength, weapon/boff slots an everything else that matters, iirc.

it really comes down to which you like the look of best, and if you're willing to pay for the excelsior. i was, and i felt it was worth it, but that was my preference.
Oh yeah, raw price is not an issue.

I personally have never cared much for the looks of the excelsior class. Something just seems off about it visually. I think it is the area around the deflector dish and the way the impulse engines jut out from the saucer on the top. The whole thing just looks slightly strange, like too blocky or not futuristic enough. It is no one thing I can place but just a lot of little things that add up to the whole. I do not really dislike it; I just do not really like it either like I do many other Federation ships.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-14-2011, 08:28 PM
ah. sounds like you wanna be going for the heavy cruiser then. it's not as if you'll be missing out on anything.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Quote:
ah. sounds like you wanna be going for the heavy cruiser then. it's not as if you'll be missing out on anything.
Yeah, after doing a bit more research on Memory Alpha it sounds like I will be flying the Cheyenne class soon. It is from my favorite era of TNG and has the looks I like. More sleek and futuristic but without being a wedge like the newer ships are.

Now just to figure out what to fly between the Galaxy and the Galaxy R.

Also on a side note, how do I get skills that help my ships phaser beams? My one tac officer has a skill that buffs my torps but not the one that buffs beams. Can I train it myself or do I need another tac officer? I think it is called Fire at Will but I could be thinking of another one.

And what does a Directed Energy Distribution do and why would I want it over a Phaser Relay?
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-14-2011, 09:10 PM
you can get it from the power trainer in ESD.

Beam Overload is what a lot people use. it takes a fair amount out of your weapon power, but you can deal with that by using weapon batteries and the like. it basically does one big, uber powerful phaser blast.

the other is of course beam fire at will. now, i love this power, but a lot of people will tell you it's overpowered (and there might be a nerf coming soon). either way, it works by making your phasers go nuts for about ten seconds, firing multiple shots at any target within range (though still concentrating on your primary target to an extent).

i'd try both out, see which one suits you better.

don't forget to try powers like Emergency Power to Weapons, which makes your beams more powerful for a time.

Directed Energy distribution is primarily for people who use more than one energy type. if you're using just phasers, then as far as i know, sticking with the phaser relay is best.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-14-2011, 09:27 PM
Quote:
you can get it from the power trainer in ESD.

Beam Overload is what a lot people use. it takes a fair amount out of your weapon power, but you can deal with that by using weapon batteries and the like. it basically does one big, uber powerful phaser blast.

the other is of course beam fire at will. now, i love this power, but a lot of people will tell you it's overpowered (and there might be a nerf coming soon). either way, it works by making your phasers go nuts for about ten seconds, firing multiple shots at any target within range (though still concentrating on your primary target to an extent).

i'd try both out, see which one suits you better.

don't forget to try powers like Emergency Power to Weapons, which makes your beams more powerful for a time.

Directed Energy distribution is primarily for people who use more than one energy type. if you're using just phasers, then as far as i know, sticking with the phaser relay is best.
I use Emergency Power to Shields often when the incoming fire gets just a little too much. Beam Overload sounds nice and may be what I am looking for. My Tac officer has Torpedo: High Yield maxed, but would I have to unlearn that to get Beam Overload or can I get it some other way?

Sounds like I will be sticking with the phaser array then.

Thank you for all of your help up to this point btw.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-14-2011, 09:33 PM
as a commander you'll have two tactical slots (once you promote your bridge officer), so you could keep your torpedo high yield 1, and then get beam overload 2 or beam fire at will 2 in the second slot.

don't use emergency power to shields at the tail end of the fight. it's not so much a shield heal as a shield damage resistance buff, so you want to be using it at the start of the fight as opposed to later on, so it can soak up the incoming fire. unless thats what you meant, then my bad. something like science team is better for shield heals (as well as its cleansing of debuffs).

np.