Lt. Commander
# 1 Explosion Animations
06-19-2011, 06:43 PM
Dear Mista Devs,

I know it's not a huge priority but at some point could more ship explosion animations be added to the game? The classic "primary-explosion-is-not-huge-then-ship-rolls-to-one-side-and-an-even-bigger-secondary-explosion-sends-pieces-flying-everywhere" just doesn't seem too dramatic or epic anymore.

So could an animator perhaps come up with some new ones and make the effect varying to give it some flavor pleaseeeee?

Anyone who has modded BC knows how dramatically more awesome the battles are with better explosions

And for anyone who has no idea what I'm talking about..............sorry.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Nice idea, and I'd certainly like to see it... But something tells me the poor ol' animators are having a busy time of it at the moment considering the stated movement changes that are coming with the ground combat revamp.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-19-2011, 09:04 PM
I love the explosions in this game, very beefy, but making some more in addition to the ones we have can't hurt
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Yeah, some variety in explosion animations would be cool indeed.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-19-2011, 10:02 PM
yeah i agree. it would be good idea
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-19-2011, 10:05 PM
Bigger explosions are always cool to have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak
Nice idea, and I'd certainly like to see it... But something tells me the poor ol' animators are having a busy time of it at the moment considering the stated movement changes that are coming with the ground combat revamp.
Yes, I think they still have quite a bit of tweaking to do. The new walking animation is... awkward. Although I suppose they could explain it as the introduction of new, and poorly designed Starfleet standard issue underwear...
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-20-2011, 09:01 AM
I'm all for things that go boom I always thought starship explosions would be bigger to be honest.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-20-2011, 09:34 AM
If I remember correctly, in one of the early gameplay trailers for STO there were some different explosion animations. I seem to recall seeing a Galaxy get one of its nacelles sliced off before it exploded. I'll see if I can't find it.

Edit: Here we go. Around one minute in you can see a Klingon ship take out one of the nacelles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Ug52fz5_k

Further in you can also see a Galaxy explode in a much different fashion from what's currently in-game.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Sol
If I remember correctly, in one of the early gameplay trailers for STO there were some different explosion animations. I seem to recall seeing a Galaxy get one of its nacelles sliced off before it exploded. I'll see if I can't find it.

Edit: Here we go. Around one minute in you can see a Klingon ship take out one of the nacelles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Ug52fz5_k

Further in you can also see a Galaxy explode in a much different fashion from what's currently in-game.
Old perpetual studios mockup - not (unfortunately) evidence of anything that may or may not be doable in the current engine.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-20-2011, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobar26th
Old perpetual studios mockup - not (unfortunately) evidence of anything that may or may not be doable in the current engine.
No, that was Cryptics trailer.