Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
This isn't the first time I've thought it and I doubt it will be the last. I'm just wondering why everything is falling into the C-Store if it's "new". Costumes (ship and personnel), bridge packs, and other cosmetic things like that are fine. I'd even go so far as to say those "special tribbles" (Borg, 8472, and Rivera) should be there. That's all peachy keen.

However, if it's something that can dramatically change the course of game play - such as new races that have traits accessible only to that race - then that shouldn't be on the C-Store, in my opinion. Same thing goes with most of the ships, too. The LT ones are the exception; I really don't care about simply because LT ships can be outsourced real fast like but they really shouldn't be in the C-Store, either.

Another thing that messes with my chi is the "buying more slots" for BOffs and ships. The steep prices of those should give every character on your account additional slots for the BOffs and ships.

Also, I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking THIS one, but there should be a higher default limit on how many characters one can make. If I recall right, 3 is the default max. That's insane. Leaves room for one of each career and that's it. It would be nice to be able to have one of each career for one faction and at least two for the other.

The straw that broke the camel's back was this silly stuff about adding special races as BOffs to the C-Store. I understand that it's Caitians and Aenars, but that's still ridiculous. Am I the only person who thinks this?

I'm paying monthly for my time on this game. I've bought lots of things off the C-Store already. It's mostly been cosmetic stuff which, as I said before, is fine. I like my little sehlat cub and my formal civvies look pretty good on my chars. My Borg tribble and 8472 tribble... Well, I never saw a significant difference in damage or whatever, but I probably wasn't paying enough attention.

In short, the C-Store should be reserved for cosmetic things only. Uniforms, ship costumes, non-combat pets, skill boosts, etc. However, game changing stuff such as new ships and races should not be in it. That (in my opinion) unbalances the game.

II also think that the KDF should definitely get a LOT of free stuff because of how long they've been getting shafted. The game has so far catered almost solely to the UFP, and that's just not fair. I've been on Tribble and seen the new Qo'nos. I believe that sort of thing is LOOONG over due and that it's about time... but I've also heard talk of (potentially) new ships for KDF. Please do the right thing and not say, "Hey, the C-Store will make us MORE money off the KDF players who really want this stuff!"

Like I said before, this game is being paid monthly by us, your customers, and it's not fair that we're getting doubly charged for the game. It's also taking a lot to live up to Trekkies' expectations, and I think it's probable that a lot of hardcore ones are getting sick of getting nickle and dimed. Even if you took all the ships out of the C-Store and put them in-game for free, you'd still have more than enough costumes and such to keep it running while continuing to gain the cash from the subs.

This is all I'm going to say on the matter. I think that my little spiel here has been fairly civilized and I didn't swear or make rude remarks. These are also just my opinions on the matter regarding the C-Store and I will not be checking up on this thread after I post it. Immediately gunna close it and go AFK.

If y'all agree, then just say so; I'm not posting this with the intent of starting a "flame Cryptic" fest. I think Cryptic's done a fairly decent job so far and that things keep getting better and better. If you don't think so yourself, take a look at the current Qo'nos and the future Qo'nos. That in-and-of itself is proof that Cryptic is trying to do better.

I'd also like to point out specifically Dstahl, Heretic, and WishStone. D for obvious reasons; since taking control of the game things have gotten significantly better. It seems like he walks around with a whip and is turning the Cryptic STO studios into a sweatshop (just teasing! ^_~!).

Heretic and WishStone also deserve mention 'cause not only do they seem, to me at least, to be the most active devs (aside from D) on the forums, but WishStone in particular 'cause I like their avvie pic.

And that's all of my thoughts for now. My very own, personal log! Regarding my opinions on the state of the game. xD As said, not gunna check up on this, so... thanks for reading (or not!) and toodles!

Regards~
~Vertria
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-17-2011, 07:15 AM
This... seems very off-topic to this board.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-17-2011, 07:17 AM
micro transactions, first day DLC's, preorder exclusives, and thing like the C-store are the CANCER that is killing gaming. Cryptic isn't a huge companie though, they do actually need the money from it, its not quite as bad as the PURE EVIL SCUMBAG GREED from those huge companies.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-17-2011, 07:24 AM
Except the races and ships you can buy from the store don't bring anything game changing to the table. Yes, they behave a little different but you don't need them. At all. Also you can earn most of those things in game by either farming tokens or buying one of those new officers from someone else, they go for a million credits and that's really not that much.
You can get anything in the game as is without paying a dime if you so choose and I really don't see your point.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-17-2011, 07:31 AM
Many people said this over and over:

We pay a sub or a lifetime AND still everything new goes to the store.
To add to the insult prices are comparatively high compared to other games and their shops.

STO is a very expensive game. If you decide to stay with it. People who don't pay a sub and go with the 1-2 bucks Steam deal and then lulz at the store and move on are the winners, not the loyal customers. We are getting milked like cows.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-17-2011, 07:46 AM
I think the C-Store is somewhat going out of hand, particularly with items that provide unique game benefits and are only attainable ingame for ridicilious amount of cost, if at all.

Nevertheless, the Tribble forum is entirely wrong for this type of discussion. There is a C-Store Feedback forum for this purpose, and there is really no point trying to start these type of threads elsewhere, as they end up there anyway.

But I suspect the best feedback on the C-Store is not on the forums, but in your decision to buy or not buy on the C-Store. If you keep paying for stuff there, Cryptic sees it is working. Complains on the forum by people with a blue name or people that have been around for months despite such complains are not very convincing feedback.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-17-2011, 08:07 AM
DLC isn't anything new. Welcome to Capitalism. I've been paying a monthly sub for almost a year now and when I finally figured out the C-Store I jumped in victory. I support the C-Store. I wlll always support the C-Store. I can't wait till my KDF Character is a LT General so I can get the ships from the C-Store. The C-Store is not new any form. Many MMORPG's have things like that C-Store. Free To Play[Lets not get this topic going on] and Pay to play. The more people complain about it the more they are going to toss in there.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-17-2011, 08:16 AM
Would I rather have:

1: Old school mmo with no new content except a paid for expansion every year or so...

OR

2: an MMO that has new free content on a regular basis, and a cstore(with fluff items to help pay for that free content.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
This... seems very off-topic to this board.
Indeed. This is very off topic.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-17-2011, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xceptionzero View Post
Would I rather have:

1: Old school mmo with no new content except a paid for expansion every year or so...

OR

2: an MMO that has new free content on a regular basis, and a cstore(with fluff items to help pay for that free content.

I'm sorry but conventional MMO's do provide regular content updates, while not as quickly as STO but the content they provide do last long enough before the next update comes around.

I hate to say it but I really do enjoy STO and when a new season comes around it's great but about a month or so I'm done. There hasn't been a new endgame "dungeon" since after release.

At the minute aside from new episodes there's nothing to keep people here.

Even worse with the lure of new ships, costumes and things to check out they immediately go into the c-store, and yes they are also available in game for those who are willing to grind an exuberant amount of time in obtaining it really is bitter sweet with regards to c-store saturation.

i completely sympathise with Cryptic being a small company but a game that cannot generate adaquate income to provide regular updates on user subscription alone, while trying to maintain 2 other MMO's and develop another, there's something wrong.

Talk about spreading yourself thin.