Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
06-18-2011, 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marctraider View Post
I'd say get rid of the Captain Retrain token in Cstore, its rediculous how we have to pay to respec ourselves, and it takes days/weeks to get 30,000 merits...

For the rest, keep it the way it is, Cryptic also needs to pay their Employees.
i dont even want to think about how many of those i have bought, at least 15. feel like a huge chump every time
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-18-2011, 05:01 AM
Everything is optional, I've got friends who have bought everything, and friends who haven't bought single item. Personally I do some research before I make a purchase. Again its all optional, granted its cheaper for lifers in the long run. I've played several MMOs with ingame stores and believe me, this stuff is cheap compared to them. Honestly its a business, they have several things added that don't require a C-Store purchase.

Games 15 bucks a month for subbers
2000 CP is only 25 dollars, (which can buy a whole lot if you spend it wisely)

Not to be rude but, priorities if this is an issue.
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-18-2011, 05:58 AM
They need to be sub based or F2P, but charging a monthly or lifetime fee and then selling everything from slots to fed Tube socks..well...IMO its just money grubbing and unethical.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-18-2011, 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
Uh... pretty sure that Dstahl said that the DOff system would be the in-game method of attaining those officer in one of his spiels about wanting an in-game method to attain everything in the C-Store (methinks on his recentish his appearance on the Priority One Podcast, but I could be mistaken).

Straight out saying they'll be C-Store exclusive seems to be flying directly in the face of what Dstahl has been telling us over and over, that he hopes to have everything there be, well, not-exclusive.

I think you might want to consult Dannyboy about this and have him offer some kind of clarification/reply here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
So, I just confirmed with Dstahl, and apologies for the confusion, let me see if I can clear up the current plan a bit:

1. C-Store Boffs such as Aenar and Caitian will - for now - be available only on the C-Store. This may be relaxed after they've been out for a while.
2. C-Store Boffs such as Aenar and Caitian will be tradeable.
3. There will also be exclusive Boffs available in game.
4. These exclusive Boffs that cannot be gained on the C-Store but only in game will also be tradeable.
5. The Doff system will allow for gaining all quality levels of Boffs, but will follow the above rules.
For months now it has been told to us that these and other things in the C-Store would be attainable in game. I do not think this change is going to fly with the community, but many are are going to cry Deception!
I do not care about these 2 particular species in the C-Store, except to say any boff in the C-Store is sad to see (with exception to the preorder).

Those who claim The deception and disgust with the C-store now have a valid point if the the information of not being able attain them through the DOFF system is true, and may even bring up a greater point.....was that not one of the major features sold to the community is it would help bring equality to in game from the C-Store? Sounds fundamentally wrong to me?

I hope all Boffs are no longer "unique" and tradeable/ trainable (I.E. Reman, Borg Preorder, other wise we are setting a terrible bilking double standard with BOFFS, along with the bad practice after months of being told of duel attainability by in game means. My perception is little bait and switch upon their launch.

Charging for playable Captain upgrades other than in game (reasonable amount) with a additional C-Store token would sound ridiculous to me if you already posses the BOff to promote. These should be core upgrades to get players attracted to the title, instead of a nickel dime thing. The Ethical thing to do is if someone buys a playable Captain Species they should be able to unlock( built into purchase price) the BOFF? that just is common sense i think.

Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-18-2011, 07:08 AM
I agree..something needs to be done..cstore is getting to crazy with all these things..Next the will sell STO bottled water and air to breath on the C-store.. Comon peeps lets ease off the making some bucks on this and that in your store. Does, "NICKLE AND DIME" ring a bell? getting tired of real life doing it, now a game is doing it too. Not a happy customer.
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-21-2011, 11:48 AM
The services offered in the C-store only make sense if the game was free-to-play. Making people pay real money for retraining as well as a subscription fee is money-grabbing.
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiadan
The services offered in the C-store only make sense if the game was free-to-play. Making people pay real money for retraining as well as a subscription fee is money-grabbing.
Agreed...

I've read somewhere that the profits C-Store item sales only go towards making more C-Store items. I have to ask the same question as another poster; What has been done with my subscription dollars??

I realize that there is a good deal of new content that has been made available for free but the ratio seems off.
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincire View Post
Agreed...

I've read somewhere that the profits C-Store item sales only go towards making more C-Store items. I have to ask the same question as another poster; What has been done with my subscription dollars??
What subscription dollars? You're a Lifetime Member! :p

But seriously, that might be a question that someone not familiar with the MMO genre would ask. The short of it is that your money goes towards server maintenance, server technician salaries, staff salaries, web presence, web forums, website maintenance, marketing, overhead (bandwidth, electricity, etc.), and numerous other services and people who keep the game running.

As far as the STO Store is concerned, if you think you have it bad, hop on over to Champion Online's C-Store. Better yet, check out the Blizzard Store. Even the world's biggest MMO still has micro-transaction services.

Also, thinking that a faction should get free stuff because they are getting "shafted" is purely subjective. Besides, even if you get some shiny new ship skin, it wouldn't change the problems that the KDF has with having less content than Federation side. In fact, fewer additional funds might only exacerbate the problem.
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-22-2011, 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidius View Post
if you think you have it bad, hop on over to Champion Online's C-Store. Better yet, check out the Blizzard Store.
In CO, subscribers (as opposed to free players) get monthly injections of C-store points. In WoW, nothing in the store provides an in-game effect not otherwise trivially accessible.

So yes, I think STO subscribers have it bad.
Lt. Commander
# 30 Micro-Transactions
06-22-2011, 08:00 AM
Micro-transactions are not killing games. When done properly, they can ensure a healthy game.

This, of course, presupposes the existence of competent game developers contributing relevant & dynamic content to the game at a steady rate.

So, when making claims about something that's "OMG KILLING A GAME!!1!" please reflect upon the aforementioned statement.

-GC