Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
# 81
07-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simale
Star Trek is: Going where no one has gone before.

STO: The Galaxy at war? Seen that on DS9.

Star Trek is: About the personal stories amongst the main cast on the shows and how they react to the situations they are put in.

STO: Not in game, probably never will be.
It could be. All it takes is a little creativity and courage. Several posters (myself included) have made many suggestions at incorporating elements more consistent with the nature of Star Trek into the game.

It's as I've said elsewhere, longevity is the result of VARIETY. More of the same is just boring again. What's needed is something that is different. Ideally, there should be MANY different activities, each of which has variability built in.

However, everything I see here points to them grabbing for as much money as possible as fast as possible. Gouge the players for as much as you can before the game folds up due to lack of support (ie. insufficient personnel in development, etc.). At this rate, I'd be suprised if this game survives another year. Two at the outside.
Lt. Commander
# 82
07-22-2011, 01:54 PM
I worry you may be right, all the while Cryptic sits back and brings in the money before selling the rights to a third party for a ridiculous amount just before the game fold under. They wouldn't be the first company to do it.
Lt. Commander
# 83
07-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simale

Star Trek is: About the personal stories amongst the main cast on the shows and how they react to the situations they are put in.

STO: Not in game, probably never will be.
Personal stories in an MMO arent necesarily a good thing, take that new 'sci fi' MMO thats currently being tested...focusing on one persons story can detract from the 'massive' part of MMO
Lt. Commander
# 84
07-23-2011, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chugster View Post
Personal stories in an MMO arent necesarily a good thing, take that new 'sci fi' MMO thats currently being tested...focusing on one persons story can detract from the 'massive' part of MMO
Personal stories can ba achieved just by giving us some choices that can reflect the character. If you've never played Vamipre the Masquerade: Bloodlines, give it a try to see what I mean. The story remains essentially the same, but you can go about it in different ways, interacting with NPCs in different ways. You want to be a conciliatory boot lick, you can. If you would rather be a bombastic bully, you can.

That's the essence of Role Playing. That's what allows us to create our own stories. It is also what would allow us to reach something more like what we see on Star Trek, where the characters actually TALK to each other from time to time.

Of course, dialog choices aren't the only thing that can do this. I was playing Champions Online the other day and found myself presented with a moral choice. Do I arrest the jewel thief with the heart of gold who offered to help me with some other bad guys, or do I let her go? That ALSO let me establish the personality and story of the character.

Little things make all the difference. The devil is in the details.

Of course, I don't expect any of it at this point.
Lt. Commander
# 85
07-24-2011, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chugster View Post
How is the 'massive' aspect being detracted from in this new sci fi mmo, exactly? I don't get that impression at all.

On topic, I don't typically mind the C-store, but there are some areas where it seems to go over the top. Ships (with unique combat features/consoles), and Species exclusive to the C-Store which cannot be attained in-game is something which kind of bothers me. I don't mind purely aesthetic items being available as microtransactions, but it also seems like their prices could be better given the traditional monthly subscription we have to pay as well.
Lt. Commander
# 86
07-24-2011, 04:39 PM
I take it none of you buy apps. The App Store and App Marketplace are essentially micro-transactions.
Lt. Commander
# 87
07-25-2011, 04:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
I take it none of you buy apps. The App Store and App Marketplace are essentially micro-transactions.
That's a ridiculous comparison, except insofar as complete programs and utilities are frequently sold for less than STO C-store items.
Lt. Commander
# 88
07-25-2011, 07:01 AM
Well it looks like they've closed ranks on our concerns and are simply ignoring us.

Not a mumble of feedback even to acknowledge us.

It must be like an ostrich farm over there.