Lt. Commander
It's been said over and over again that the next Star Trek movie won't be a remake of any specific TOS episode(s), which I'm sure we're all more than grateful for. However, it seems they couldn't resist the temptation to do so anyway, because the next series of Star Trek comics will be '09 remakes of classic TOS episodes, the first issue remaking Where No Man Has Gone Before.

I have to say I'm kind of excited for this. I've read and enjoyed several of the IDW Trek comics (Countdown, Mirror Images, The Space Between, Blood Will Tell, to name a few). I think deep down we're all at least a bit curious to see how the new Kirk, Spock, and the rest would handle classic situations like Gary Michelle's experience with the galactic barrier, fighting the Gorn on Cestus III, or dealing with Tribbles, Klingon spies, and annoying Federation officials on K7... ok, maybe not all of us, but still, it could be interesting. Let me be clear, I'm glad they're trying to do original adventures for the movies, that's what I want to see from that, but the new crew are precisely that, new, just different enough from the original to change things up a bit.

What do you all think?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-17-2011, 11:19 AM
I'm chacking this out for sure.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Same here. Be interesting to see how this version of the crew handles things slightly differently, with fewer now-cringeworthy examples of Sixties values. (Replacing them with '10s ideas that will seem equally backward in another fifty years!)
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-17-2011, 03:46 PM
I agree that IDW has put out some excellent Star Trek comics. If this is their product, I'll check it out.