Lt. Commander
Ok. So theres this guy running around currently, joining fleets, emptying banks and leaving with whatever he can get his hands on.

Because of forums rules I am of cause not allowed to publish who he is, but thoose fleets who have already had a visit from him are aware of his existence.
Luckily my fleet has security in order, so when he joined mine he got away with nothing, so I thought I'd share the method of securing your bank from people like him, to hopefully prevent him from stealing from others as well.

1: Put limits on your bank tabs, and your EC that can be withdrawn by members: I understand that you want to appear as a trusting fleet that allows fleet members full access to all the stuff they need, but in the end you will stand back with nothing and looking naive.
People like the guy in question prey on fleets who do this, and your fleetmates WILL understand the need for theese measures if you do it with reason, and take you time to explain why you do this.

2: Have the first rank as a "probie" rank: A probie rank allows you to, to some degree, sort of ignore #1. The probie rank has access to nothing in the fleet apart from the chat, and the option to do teamplay with the same people. This lets you do a trial period on people, to evaluate them. If they are thieves they won't stay in your fleet anyways, so they will leave on their own almost the second they discover the bank isn't open to them.
Also: A probie period of 5 mins is not enough. It will quickly be rumored among the thieves, and they will simply wait out the 5 mins... Have at least one or two days.

3: Take you time to tell new applicants about bank limits. This will often scare them off even before they join your fleet.

Theese basic rules should keep your fleet secure from bank thieves. Also keep a close eye on chat, and forums, as they will often inform you when people are known thieves.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now about that guy. The occational bank thief is nothing new... They've been around since launch, and will most likely be around till the game goes down. I mean, people should use the security features in the game...

Cryptic has decided not to police the game, and I understand that desicion as they would have to spend massive resources on investigating somthing that might turn out to be a simple misunderstanding.

However, this guy openly brags about it in his Bio. He even tells us that he has scammed at least 250 million EC away from people, by stealing from banks, and pretend to sell Saurian Efficients, running with the money, without giving the officers away.
He claims that he is "Robin Hood" of STO... But I have yet to find a single person who has benefitted from his theft... but EVERYONE in zone chat knows who he is.

This tells me that it is becoming common knowlege that STO is a insecure place for new, unexpirienced fleets, and that thieves have free roam.

It may be time that a certain level of measures are taken to actively prevent this from happening, but what can be done without forcing Cryptic to appear with security uniforms on the respective stations? At a very least the guy in question should be banned, as he openly admits to his behaviour.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-17-2011, 12:03 PM
They should be court marshalled!
Lt. Commander
# 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik
They should be court marshalled!
You mean the thieves? or Cryptic? xD
Lt. Commander
# 4
you were certainly correct on one thing: Cryptic won't be doing anything about this kind of topic. most they'll do is close your thread and say something like "this has been discussed in previous threads".
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablachere
you were certainly correct on one thing: Cryptic won't be doing anything about this kind of topic. most they'll do is close your thread and say something like "this has been discussed in previous threads".
You may be right... There should be a sticky for it... (how to prevent bank thieves)... That could kinda kill off the need for new threads eh?
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-17-2011, 12:06 PM
From a role playing standpoint, this is utterly interesting to hear. A Starfleet officer robbing from fleet to fleet. OOC, it's just plain wrong.

But this is a very informative post, so thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-17-2011, 12:21 PM
That is pretty terrible when a bank robber starts bragging like that and Cryptic not banning the guy.

But yeah, best thing to do is limit Bank Access.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Don't get me wrong... I'd hate to see Cryptic start having active people seeking out bank thives and making a actual legal system with police, lawyers and judges in the game.

it would simply require too many resources, and having the players act the above is not a solution. A Karma system might work, but in the long run, that would be abused as well I think, so theres no real solution...

But openly bragging about it... Thats a big no no.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-17-2011, 12:32 PM
The system I put in place recently was this.

Swap 4 EC (20 items for all, like a free 4 all but we encourage small deposit)
Green I to IV (2-4 items depending on fleet rank)
Blue I to IV (1-2 items depending on fleet rank)
Blue IX to XII (1-2 items)
Purple IX to XII (1 item)
Crafting Data

Using the colours works well. Most important thing is to make it clear to your fleet, no whites and this system does that without having to beg for them to follow the rules.

Swap 4 EC tab can have just about anything, good for newbies. Tell them to take what they want, encourage a token deposit. This helps to stop anyone sayin the bank is restricted, it balances out the whole withdrawing limit for the day. While you restrict the XI blue and purples and monitor them because really they are all that matter.

This is good for security of the bank. Stop focusing on every tab, getting defensive about people taking ten items at once while they may include whites and greens. It helps us to focus on items worth a mint on exchange.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-17-2011, 01:03 PM
My fleet puts decent restrictions on the fleet bank access and to the best of my knowledge weíve never been robbed.

We had many new members join up and leave 10 mins after joining and Iíve always assumed that they were bank thieves that found out that they couldnít swipe anything.

I love hearing a fleet member at has only been a part of the fleet for like 30 seconds go off about not being able to access the energy credits or the high end items tabs in the fleet bank.

The funniest and lamest thief attempt Iíve seen on our fleet was a guy complaining that he needed to get some EC from the fleet bank to buy a new ship and then turn around 2 mins latter and offer to deposit 5 million EC to the bank for access to our very rare items tab

Bank thieves are just plain wrong and itís a damn shame that fleets have to go through so much just to keep their items and EC safe for their trustworthy fleet members.